Independant BMW Mechanic needed

Mick

Reaction score
Hi
Recently brought 1150 Adv (2004) to commute to work, first BMW, really impressed. Noticed some engine knock when warm at tick over. Could do with someone having a look. If any body knows a good garage/mechanic (not dealer) in the North Wales area? Any info much appreciated.
Cheers
Mick

Is it knocking on the left cylinder or more of a ticking on the right?

Sounds more like a loud tick on left, only happens when warm just on tick over, seems to go when revs above tick over. Thought it might be cam tensioner, do not have enough knowledge yet, hence the mechanic advice.

Ok, cam chain tensioner is most likely.
Best to order a new one, they got upgraded, it's an easy fix.:beerjug:

Also use 20/50 oil, either mineral or semi synthetic

Cheers, thanks for the advice, much appreciated. New to the forum, found forums to be invaluable for the DIYer.
Thanks again
Mick

just a question. i own a 1200gsa 2 valve head . ticks sometimes when tickover when warm or cold. Clutch in goes. Does your clutch lever make a difference?

Read your post and thought to myself, I have a tktktktktktk noise, however this only happens in neutral and ceases when the clutch lever applied. I've had my GS1100 for abut 6mths (74,000 miles) and it's always done this. I'm no mechanic (will tackle fairly simply jobs/maintainence) but when I've been at mates, they have always said "sound as if it's running well". It's quite a loud tktktktktktk noise and has never worsened. I guess it might be an idea to get an opinion about the noise if you are a bit unsure. You could whizz to a local motorbike shop/mechanie and get an opinion for free. See what they think. i will keep my eye on this thread out of interest just in case it's something I need to attend to. I to would be glad of details of a local independent BMW friendly motorcycle mechanic in the North Wales area, there must be someone doing this for a living.

Have a chat with Richard at http://www.moto-r.co.uk/ in Ruthin. He's done some impressive work on my mate's Boxer and I've got the K1200 booked in for service. I won't take anything to Chester Motorrad ... not happy with their work, or their values, and I keep getting similar stories from other BMW riders.

Hi trangwales. Thanks, I took my GS to Richard. Great service from those guys. It was like going private rather than NHS, they pampered my bike at my request and advised on a few bits I hadn't noticed. Will use them again. Coincidentally, the mechanic happens to live just a few miles from me so when the bike was ready, he picked me up on the way to work. Great.

Back
Top Bottom