Dead Garmin.

Photoguy

Reaction score
I have a dead Garmin satnav 5 weeks out of warranty. I have been through their web site and will need to phone them tomorrow.
Does anyone know how they deal with repairs, ie do they actually fix yours, return and charge according to the problem or do they charge a set price and swap yours out (which is what they do for in warranty repairs).

Be nice to know before I phone.

So. It cost me just shy of £200 12 months and 6 weeks ago. ie six weeks out of warranty, :blast,

They'll replace it for £82.70 with 3 months warranty but I can buy the same model now for £125.00.

Allowing a fiver to post it back to them I can buy a new one for £37.30 more than they want to fix the old one and then have a full 12 month warranty again.

I'm getting a bit pissed off with Garmin. :pullface

If you're lucky you'll get a free map upgrade - I replaced mine (for the umpteenth time) and got maps upgraded from 2008-2012:D

I may be asking a stupid question .... :D

Have you taken the battery off and let it re-boot ??

I had a Garmin 3 GPS that refused to sync to the Garmin map software on my laptop via a USB/Serial adapter. I drove to Garmin and got time with their manager. After many attempts and several variations of trying to get them to sync we found that a Garmin 5 would work. So he swapped my 3 for the 5 for free :thumby:

Those were the days of the original Garmin. Sorry for the pun but I think they have 'lost their way' since then, pretty much since they started doing car Sat Navs.

If it won't boot up at all, try a new battery first. If I remember correctly, Garmins charge the battery when plugged in but the battery is the only power source for the unit . New battery (from MDS, online) and all was well :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom