1959 Triumph Twenty One

Devon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just adding to the new section at the moment.

This winter's project is a Triumph Twenty one that has been stood for the best part of 18 years.

to1.jpg

to2.jpg

The bike has scrubbed up very well but the pictures flatter the paint and wheels. I will probably strip the top end of the engine to check everything is OK.

to3.jpg

I will probably strip the top end of the engine to check everything is OK.

only the top end ? :augie :D:D:D

Looking forward to the reports :thumb2

The rare tinware looks good. Twenty One? That's the 350cc isn't it?

Yes, it's a 350cc which should bimble along at 55/60mph no problem when it's running right.
The bike is in OK condition but the wheels have corrosion in places. The tinware is all there (which is important because it's hard to find now) and also OK but several blisters and rust here and there.
It shouldn't cost a fortune to make the bike nice.

Another 6 month building job disappeared up its arse this week :mad: :( The second time it has happened after the first job got put back late in the summer so I might have a bit of time to work on the bike over the next month or two.

Soooo.......... I have made a start :)

triumph twenty one.jpg

I took the seat, tank and bathtub rear fairing off.

bathtub off.jpg

They are not too bad condition but new paint will set them off and the fuel tank needs cleaning and sealing inside.

bathtub and tank.jpg

Exhaust, carb and more bits off.

carb and exhausts off.jpg

Nearly ready to lift the engine out.

nearkly ready to remove engine.jpg

Engine removed :)

frame with engine out.jpg

The engine isn't heavy but it was a little awkward lifting it out the frame; I find putting you tongue out helps :D
The engine will be much easier to work on and clean on a bench. I will strip the top end and check the head and valves.
That's enough for one day.

engine on bench.jpg

Why can't I see any of the pics:blast just get a little logo of some sort:nenau
this is happening a lot now since the new site came on. any ideas??

Mike's on the K1100R thread are all ok though.......

You don't need a hugger with that bath tub back end.:aidan

Well that's the easy bit done :)

Attachments

• t21 easy bit.jpg
    t21 easy bit.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,207
Got a bit more done, the fuel tank was cleaned out with acid and then sealed with a special paint (POR15). All the tin ware has now been taken over to be painted. The photos flatter the condition of the panels and paint so there is quite a lot of work to do. The wheels have been sent off to be rebuilt as well.

tin w.jpg

I am going to polish the engine cases and strip the top end so the head can be cleaned and the barrels painted.

21 eng.jpg

The engine looks good and it looks like it was running for several miles and not been apart before it was put away.

pistons.jpg

Now the head and barrels can be stripped ready to clean and paint.

head and barrels.jpg

The frame should be back next week so I will try to get the engine back together pretty quickly so it can go back in the frame sooner rather then later.

Good one Devon :thumb

Keep it going ... lovely to see

:beerjug:

350 Triumphs are nice little bikes. I had a Tiger 90 that belonged to my sister who was killed while on her bike by a drunk driver. Every time I rode it I'm not ashamed to say it brought me to rears and it ended up in the back of my workshop. Anyway I decided that it hurt me too much to ride it so decided to sell the bike, it hadn't run for ten years, I freed the clutch off, turned the petrol on (the ten year old juice) and bugger me it fired first kick and started second! Here's a vid of me riding it down the drive the very same day (the rattling sound is the cattle grid).

Dave

http://youtu.be/E0OjT2CFVXU

350 Triumphs are nice little bikes. I had a Tiger 90 that belonged to my sister who was killed while on her bike by a drunk driver. Every time I rode it I'm not ashamed to say it brought me to rears and it ended up in the back of my workshop. Anyway I decided that it hurt me too much to ride it so decided to sell the bike, it hadn't run for ten years, I freed the clutch off, turned the petrol on (the ten year old juice) and bugger me it fired first kick and started second! Here's a vid of me riding it down the drive the very same day (the rattling sound is the cattle grid).

Dave

So sorry to hear that Dave ....

How long ago?

The Tiger 90 was the sporting version 350 ... lovely bike's indeed.

1965/1966 I was a copper at Hoyland, Barnsley, and one of the other lads had a Tiger 90, I had the BSA A65 Lightning. We often had to go to Barnsley Magistrates Court to give evidence, and would take it in turn. Sometime he on the back of my BSA and sometimes me on the pillion of his Tiger :rob

:beerjug:

Dave

http://youtu.be/E0OjT2CFVXU

That is sad. I wouldn't not be able to own a bike with such bad memories Dave, I can understand why you sold it.

These old M/Cs can get a lot of emotional attachment as they travel through people's lives. Sarah, the lady who sold the Triumph to me, was given the Twentyone by her bike mad Father 20 yrs ago and he passed away at a young age suddenly a year or so later. Eventually when she decided to sell the Triumph on because it was stood and starting to deteriorate, it was important to her the bike stayed locally and she hoped the bike would be restored to its former glory. She was saddened to sell the bike but looks forward to seeing it about these parts on the road again.
About three weeks ago I was at a local bike meet and an old girl in the cafe was telling biker Yvonne (who knows me) about the first ever bike her deceased husband bought in 1959 from Godfrey Samsons in Bideford, it was a blue Triumph and she still remembered the reg number; 621 BOD and she would love to know where the bike was now. The old biddy nearly fell off her chair when Yvonne told her that I had recently bought the bike to restore and I was sat having a coffee on another table :D She came over and told me all about her husband and the bike, she also has some pictures of the bike from when it was new. Funny how these things happen sometimes.

All the frame parts came back from the powder coaters and the head and barrels were also ready to collect. I am happy to pass a lot of the painting and blasting over to professionals as they do a better job then I could ever hope to.

powder coated bits.jpg

barrels and head.jpg

My engineering mate Mike fitted the swinging arm as the bush is a tight fit and Mike has the tools to do the job rather then me attempt it and mess it up. Then it's just a case of starting to put the parts back together.

start frame.jpg

I polished the engine casings but not too much.

pri cover.jpg

Then fitted the bottom half of the engine and gearbox back into the frame. Mike will give me a hand to fit the barrels and head as it's a fiddly job and easier with two people. I will make a list of new nuts and bolts later and just change the ones that are a bit rusty/worn.

engine and frame.jpg

That's it for today :)

Back
Top Bottom