New boots a bit tight and needing stretched a bit?

Farmer Palmer

Reaction score
After buying a new pair of Altbergs Hoggs 'over the phone' in my normal size 12 and finding them a wee bit tight over the top of my foot I thought i'd see what I could do to stretch them a bit.

Internet search suggested sending them back to the manufacturer or a local cobblers and they could stretch them a half size.

Another search suggested putting a bag of water in each boot then putting them in the freezer and the expanding ice would stretch the boot............I didn't like this idea incase the boot stitching split and the cold temperature wouldn't help the leather either and I couldn't find any bags that didn't leak!

Then I had a brainwave............What would stretch the boot in a way that you could control and see what was happening at the same time.

Easy.............Just shoved a folded mountain bike inner tube into the front of the boot and gently inflated it with a bicycle pump and it worked a treat. You could see the boot leather expanding a bit and you could also feel the pressure inside the boot and after an hour or two my boots fit much better.

FP.

Good idea. I'll remember that (I also had read about water and the freezer, but thought it would be a bit uncontrolled, whereas your method you see what is going on and can stop anytime).

Well, these boots were a complete b*stard to wear for over two years and then I had a another brainwave after the inner tubes which only helped a bit.

I took the insoles out and now they fit like a glove!

Every days a school day!

FP.

Thanks for that tip.
My Alpinestars are ok on the left but I can't close the velcro on the right properly. I little bit of streaching should help.

I stuffed them up with rags as tight as possible, dipped them in a bucket with warm water and let them soaking for an hour.
Took them out out of the bucket pushed the rags tighter again and let them sit to dry. Got that out of the Internet somewhere and it worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom