BMW Returns

Don't feel too bad about BMW's stringent checking of the returned bike and don't let it eat you up, JayC.

If it's any comfort, they are at least even handed, doing the same to their employees too, it seems.

I was recently in Park Lane's Battersea garage, where a BMW chap was applying copious amounts of protective tape to a 1200 Adventure. Asked why, he explained that staff are allowed to have a loan bike for up to (six?) months, after which it is returned to BMW and I guess sold on. Anyway, BMW are rigorous about noting imperfections on the bike's return (billing the unwary employee for the cost of putting things right) leading to all sorts of grumblings. To BMW, it's only business, it's not personal.

I would not say you was too much of a mug to of taken out this deal! When you took this deal you accepted it, was happy with it, and assumed your situation would not change, or at least change for the worse.

I think it is fair to say that every single person that takes out finance falls in to the above statement.

i also took out the same deal as you in 2011 on a brand new 1200gsa. How ever, from my humble calculations (and i am stupid) i worked out that the 'scheme' is poor in the sense that you can only truly walk away from the deal, when at the end of the term you give them the bike back and walk away with potentially nothing. And after paying all the money you would do for the term. But at least you can walk away at the end without spending more money.

I took the deal because i wanted to keep my repayments low during the term. Then at the end if i have the money to pay it off, which i had planned to, i would and get a great bike. if i didn't have the final payment, just give it back. Its cost a lot of money but i had a good time with it.

My previous bikes were all jap bikes. I bought a vfr800 nearly new, and traded it in 2 1/2 years later. For what i 'lost' (or the cost of having fun on it) i would have to keep the gsa for at least 4 years for it to be 'as cheap' as the vfr.

The only other way of course was if i had got to the end of the agreement, didn't have the funds to clear it, i had the option to just trade it in and get another. Ofcourse, this time round i would have to up the term to keep the monthly repayments the same. This i feel would of been a silly thing to do, and really highlights the fact you can't actually afford it. As really you are only increasing, and deferring, the inevitable loss. As the max term for the agreement i think was 3 or 4 years.

I personally feel this scheme is excellent on the cars, for people who are given an allowance from there employer for a company car! But again, as seen in the op, if you change or loose your job, you could be heading for a loss.

How ever not relevant this is to yourself, i would not say you were a fool or stupid to of taken out this deal. if things had worked out, as no doubt you and all of us plan, you would of bought the bike at the end, and would have the capacity to of sold it with 75k miles on it in 10 years time. Then, including the cost of the finance etc, it would of been a cheap (as it can be buying brand new toys) deal!

If we all didn't plan on things working out, or at least hoping that things wouldn't go totally tits up and the worst possible outcome become realistic, then non of us would have mortgages etc and the world would not turn! :rob

It sounds to me (and i am not trying to assume your situation) that a lot of factors have all converged at once and had a bad outcome. I really hope you get sorted out matey.

I took the deal because i wanted to keep my repayments low during the term. Then at the end if i have the money to pay it off, which i had planned to, i would and get a great bike. if i didn't have the final payment, just give it back. Its cost a lot of money but i had a good time with it.

The only other way of course was if i had got to the end of the agreement, didn't have the funds to clear it, i had the option to just trade it in and get another. Ofcourse, this time round i would have to up the term to keep the monthly repayments the same.

This i feel would of been a silly thing to do, and really highlights the fact you can't actually afford it.

As really you are only increasing, and deferring, the inevitable loss. As the max term for the agreement i think was 3 or 4 years.

Good call:thumb

That's exactly what BMW (and other automotive manufacturers) want you to do, they want to tie you in and make it harder to leave

The cost is 'ramped' up by extending the term, to maintain the same repayments or just a little bit extra deposit when swapping to a new, more expensive bike

In reality you're never the owner, whatever you may think....................you're just renting your BMW GS bike and only if you have positive equity will you come out with some cash

Also if you scratch or damage anything they will charge for the item at their full cost, not yours.................or the dealer will mark down it accordingly at trade-in time

You've found yourself in a horrible position & are naturally beating yourself up about it.
It's easy for me to say but actually I don't think you were/are a mug.
Had you had the benefit of a crystal ball at the time you did the deal & still gone ahead, knowing what was going to happen, then you would have been, but I'm guesing you didn't.

I'm sure the deal you took worked at the time.
As you quite rightly say, people's circumstances can change in a heartbeat through no fault of their own.

I'm sure you'll get through this & really hope you can sort things out to your best advantage as quickly as possible.

I've just changed from an RT (on PCP) to a GSA (on PCP), & there but for the grace of God go I/any of us.

Good luck, God bless.

I did a VT on a Jeep in 2009 for two reasons the road tax rates changed 2 weeks after purchase back dated on new registrations 12 months that would put the car a 2007 in the new £300 in 08 and £400 in 09 on principle I was not paying £400 road tax on a car. So I ran the car until it was 2 years old and had a retail value of about £9k on a forecourt due to the financial crash and the new road tax bracket on the car.

The VT figure was £12k under the 50% rule so off it went back to Mercedes Finance who were the company Jeep used at the time, the car was cleaned polished and prepared for collection dozens of photos were taken at the time to prove the condition in the expected fight with the excess charges.

On the day of collection 2 guys turn up have a quick look over the car get me to sign a sheet showing no damage and give me the carbon copy and off they went. A week later the bill arrives £800 for things from dents, cleaning, wheel damage etc non of which were on the photos taken on the day of collection showing their staff collecting the car.

The car was taken to Milton Keynes from Hull and according to their records took 2 days and had done 650 miles when I questioned this they suddenly started to reduce their demands to settle in the end after a few letters and phone calls they dropped all the charges as they could not explain where it had been parked for 2 nights and why it had done about 2 times the mileage between collection and their vehicle centre, I think they used it to run around the country collecting other cars dropping each other off.

If anyone does a VT take the photos and fight the charges they will back down if you try hard enough.

Blimey :comfort

That's the thing about decisions, you make them at the time with all of the information available to you at the time, and with the ability to anticipate what could change in the future. Just cos things don't work out it doesn't necessarily make it a bad decision.

Good luck with sorting out your affairs

A thread some of you with BMW Bikes on PCP, should read and digest.............especially if you have taken out a BMW PCP, since 2013

Very interesting thread, this.

I feel sorry for the dilemma that the OP found himself in and I hope it worked out ok for him in the end.

There but for etc etc......

Stealers are just that. As long as there is a ready supply of idiots ( and before anyone starts, I'm including myself in this) bmw will continue to flog us sub standard vehicles at a premium price. With ever increasing prices that we the buying public seem willing to pay. Why ? im not sure, but the marketing dept are very good at selling the "adventure" dream, when in fact the vast majority of peeps will hardly go further than Tesco on a Sunday morning. Im glad i had the good fortune to have a bike that gave me no problems and i think i got rid just at the right time in all honesty. Ive moved on to a bike that is superior in every way inc build quality / reliability for a lot less than. GS would cost me. PCP is a disaster waiting to happen in both the bike and car sectors. Just my tuppence worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stealers are just that. As long as there is a ready supply of idiots ( and before anyone starts, I'm including myself in this) bmw will continue to flog us sub standard vehicles at a premium price. With ever increasing prices that we the buying public seem willing to pay. Why ? im not sure, but the marketing dept are very good at selling the "adventure" dream, when in fact the vast majority of peeps will hardly go further than Tesco on a Sunday morning. Im glad i had the good fortune to have a bike that gave me no problems and i think i got rid just at the right time in all honesty. Ive moved on to a bike that is superior in every way inc build quality / reliability for a lot less than. GS would cost me. PCP is a disaster waiting to happen in both the bike and car sectors. Just my tuppence worth.

Agreed
I see the new GSA TE for 2018 model year is knocking on for £18000 and that's before you add luggage or a sat nav
Madness

Agreed
I see the new GSA TE for 2018 model year is knocking on for £18000 and that's before you add luggage or a sat nav
Madness

No it's £4k down and £160 a month for a R1200 GS Adventure TE and this is why they sell (rent) loads every year :rolleyes:

35 monthly payments of £159.00
Term of agreement 36 months
Optional final payment £8,768.23
Option to purchase fee £1.00
On the road cash price £16,015.00
Your deposit £4,057.51
Total deposit £4,057.51
Amount of credit £11,957.49
Annual mileage 5,000 miles
Excess mileage 10.83p per mile
Fixed rate of interest 7.9% fixed
A.P.R. 7.9%
Total amount payable £18,391.74

Delboy777 didn't like to say but you've got it in a oner. Who would have thought that bikes would become bling. Wish I could go back in time and share that one with some of my long departed riding mates from that heady summer of 69.

I had a car dealer try me with a PCP deal on a second hand (2015) car this week. Funny that before he would give me any figures he wanted to know how i planned to pay for the car. Bet he was getting a huge wedge for selling the PCP option.

This thread makes for very interesting reading.

It goes a long way to explaining why I've always been very uneasy about pcp / contract rental or even HP as a way of buying (what for me) is basically a toy. I can see the attraction in that it lets you ride away today on a shiny new bike that you'd never have been able to afford if you had to buy it outright (or would take far too long to save for) but I guess I'm a bit old fashioned in that I've always hated 'credit' (especially credit secured on the asset). If I've got to 'finance' it, I generally don't have it (the exception being the house). I've got a friend who's just bought himself a couple of 20k Harleys on varying degrees of finance - I literally wouldn't be sleeping at night but each to their own.

I've never bought a new bike, the dearest bike I've ever owned is my current TC GSA which I scraped together 11k to buy at two years old but it's 'mine' and I like that feeling. I've no desire to change it at the moment - it does everything I want very well and I love it but with the price of comparable new replacements getting towards 20k and my aversion to 'finance', I can see me keeping it for a good while yet!

I hope everything worked out for Jay

Back
Top Bottom