Tool kit for R100GS-Paris Dakar

Paul Rochdale

Reaction score
As I swopped some of the allen bolts in the front forks over the other day, and re-fitted the rear wheel today, it occurred to me that my tool kit was really a bit deficient and should I break down on the road, I didn't have the correct tools to solve any problem. Whilst I have tools in my workshop, that's where I want them to stay. So I've found this list in my Riders Handbook (Brand new and bought on eBay).

1 tool bag
1 pair of universal pliers
1 large screwdriver, reversible
1 small screwdriver
6 open-ended spanners consisting of -
7x8mm A/F
10x11mm, 12x14mm, 13x17mm, 16x18mm, 19x22mm
1 ring spanner, 10x12mm
Box spanners - 13x19mm and 21x22mm
17mm wheel stud spanner
Allen keys - 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm
1 hook-type spanner
1 Tommy bar
15A fuses

I need to go through my toolkit and see what it lacks.

Hammer, tyre levers and superglue - seriously! Oh, and you probably don't need all those open enders, a small good quality adjustable would suit as it's generally just for holding a nut whilst you tighten the bolt with an allen key. If not you'd be better off with a ring or socket. And don't forget the exhaust ring spanner :beerjug:

I put mine together by only working on the bike with what was in the toolkit. Emptied the toolkit on the bench and only put what I used back into the toolkit and added to it as needed over a period of a few months. It's surprising how little you need. It all just fits in the standard toolbox.

A pair of easyly accessable side cutter to disconnect the battery in a hurry for when the wiring loom decides its had enough and wants to scare you :D also handy for removing/ trimming tie wraps. I even have a half inch breaker bar stuffed up the spine tube under the tank with the big allen key and socket thingy for removing the FD :D oh gaffa tape and bailing twine/ tying wire can be usefull (tying wire can usually be found near by if you have side cutters) the 32mm socket makes a good storage container for a spare stop tail bulb and wrapping the breaker bar in rag stops it from ratteling and means you have some rag as well

A packet of chocolate biscuits .........

(If you're heading down to my workshop that is! :D

Sorry but people have drifted off the point. OK, there's always more stuff one should carry ie tyre pressure gauge, etc, but I listed this so people with no or few tools knows what BMW recommended. I have never ever bought a bike with a full tool kit (or any tool kit whatsoever) so I thought this list would at least cover the basics. I'm not sure that a roll of duct tape would fit in the tool box anyway ;-)

As for bloody biscuits, the day I get a sniff of a nice pot of Brooke Bond PG Tips brewing, I'll produce the bloody biscuits ;-)

Doh :blast I read it as asking what other additions people had made to their tool kits. That was only a few of the bits I carry :)
Gaffa tape tip, you dont have to put the whole roll in there a few metres is usually adiquate ;) if it gets wet you can take the cardboard bit out and it uses less space :thumb

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/nikkai-heavy-duty-air-compressor-12v-140psi-a31hu

I bought one of these tyre inflators from Maplins on Thursday (after reading the recommendations here) with the intention of keeping it on the bike. But I've decided it will stay in the workshop and I will use a cheap plastic one I have instead, and perhaps remove the plastic outer casing. What's wrong? I can't fault the quality. It's made from steel and seems far better than the cheaper versions but it's quite big (I only realised this once I'd got it home and removed it from the packaging) and heavy. It also has a cigarette lighter plug instead of a DIN plug, but that's no problem to change.

I put mine together by only working on the bike with what was in the toolkit. Emptied the toolkit on the bench and only put what I used back into the toolkit and added to it as needed over a period of a few months. It's surprising how little you need. It all just fits in the standard toolbox.

So what exactly do you carry in your tool kit Rob?

Sorry but people have drifted off the point.

Surprise, surprise, isn't that what always happens on here!

OK, there's always more stuff one should carry ie tyre pressure gauge, etc, but I listed this so people with no or few tools knows what BMW recommended.

It may be what BMW supply with the bike but I'm not sure it's what they recommend - more like just what fits nicely in the available space. We set off on a year long trip to Cape Town with just the supplied tool kit and a Swiss army knife. We had to add an exhaust ring spanner (full weight jobby sent out from the UK to Egypt at great expense), a hammer (also useful for tent pegs and Landrover repairs), a 1/2" ratchet and several sockets (specifically 15mm required for head nuts), home made alternator rotor puller, much longer tyre levers and a footpump. In addition to most of the above I now carry an electrical tester, a head torch, a 1/4" socket set with allen and torx bits and a good quality multitool.

Re tyre levers, I can see the point of carrying them with tubed tyres on the monos. However is there any point in carrying them on a paralever with its tubeless tyres as you can just plug them?

Prutser on advrider has posted a photo of his toolkit as used on some of his fantastic journeys but he rides a mono.

Back
Top Bottom