Advice on kit for Morocco

Hi!

I worked in the Sahara when I was a bit younger. Mostly land rovers.
Nowdays, being bit older, I ride a GS instead ! One day I will grow up !

As others have already said, lip balm is really good to stop your lips getting dried out.
A buff for your neck too. Stops sunburn and just generally protects your skin, plus as others have already mentioned, you can make it wet to provide extra cooling.
I keep both of these in a small zipped pocket on my tank bag.

I know there will always be a debate about how much protection to wear (not UV protection, proper motorbike gear).
Personally, I always wear a jacket with some armour and a lot of vents.
Underneath my jacket I wear a long sleeve technical top for wicking (like helly hansen).
I do the same for my legs, under mesh trousers with armour in them
I carry goretex over trousers in case of rain (and goretex over mits too), not insulated or padded, just shells.

The jacket I use is light coloured and goretex (yes, even in the desert it rains sometimes, and can really tip it down, especially in mountains or near coasts).
Its called a Rev It Poseidon GTX. Its definitely waterproof. It has big chest vents, back vent and arm vents.
Of all these, the arm vents (2 on each arm) are the most useful as your arms are more in the breeze than your body is (esp if you have a GSA screen).
At the back there is a huge pocket which I use to hold a camel back reservoir and then bring the drink tube up under my left arm to clip on to the collar at the front.
Like any jacket, there are a few compromises. The most obvious is not having chest pockets as there are huge vents there.

But it fits me well, zips into the Rev It mesh trousers.
I may upgrade these trousers to the Rev It poseidon trousers to give me a bit more year round / cold morning capability.

I have not tried Klim kit. But the Rev It stuff seems pretty adequate for me. Its well thought out.

Hope that helps. Jules.

mesh trousers

The trousers are Rev It! Airwave by the way.

For me, I am riding on tarmac nearly all the time.

If I was going off road, I would get something a bit sturdier.

Like the Rev It poseidon trousers.

Which are a good combination of goretex and tough.

I use Rukka and have had no problems with it in the heat.

Oh really? You've been stuck in the sand or helping others with temp in the 40's then?

BTW this isn't the place to start popping up and touting for business by the back door ................

I use Rukka and have had no problems with it in the heat.

Bloody glad i didn't take my Rukka kit in Morocco, it was hard enough picking up GSs in the riff range with the RST adventure suit on. Can't imagine what it would have been like with the Rukka on. Having got rid of all my old kit (inc Rukka) and bought a Klim Badlands Pro i wish I'd had had it with me for the trip last year!!!

Oh, and for both the Rev'it airwave and Poseidon trousers, you can add in extra armour to protect hips ... the pockets inside the trousers have lables on to tell you which type of armour to buy ...

Recommend Akito Desert with t-shirt and swim shorts underneath. Minimize time between bike and pool.
Morocco in May....respect. I did it in January and it was feckin 'ot.

Worn Rukka APR on two trips I have done, mesh with removable goretex liners. I preferred them the the much better than that the BMW tw@t suit.

forcefield body armour.(skip to 3mins 05 seconds)...avoid what sniper wore!

Back
Top Bottom