Fuel taps - on or off?

Paul Rochdale

Reaction score
I always leave my fuel taps on, but clearly some riders make a point of turning them off. What do you do?

OFF... they have a tendancy to leak if on the sidestand... also I've seen one blow the carb off the intake becaue of fuel in inlet tract, being as it's a "lost spark" engine, they fire on every rotation, "lost" spark is usually on he small period of valve overlap >>> up the tract and Carb goes for a fly :)

Off.
I've seen too many suddenly start leaking fuel from the carbs on bikes that have never leaked previously.
Plus if the taps aren't rotated through their full range for a long while the gaskets inside can cause problems when they are turned.

Hmm, In twenty years of airhead ownership I've always left them on so it looks as if I should change my ways. Thanks chaps.

Definitely off.

Went out on the RS yesterday and turned the petrol on and it pissed out of the pipe below the right tap.

If I'd left it on I'd have had a garage floor full of petrol.

I should change them more often, which I will.

Off... The dripping carb due to the float needle not sealing and also the drowning float which is a real tank emptier if left over a fair time...

Off. Always have, mainly because others do and I was told to ages ago.

(Don't on the C90 as it's a bit difficult to turn)

Off. Always have, mainly because others do and I was told to ages ago.

(Don't on the C90 as it's a bit difficult to turn)

Us too. It's always been said, that there is a risk of leakage.

However neither of our Airheads has leaked leaked. I tend to turn mine off almost every time I leave the outfit. Jill on the other hand, often leaves hers turned on. No leaks yet.

Val.

On the G/S at least it's such an easy thing to do (single tap) that I can't really see why one wouldn't turn them off each time?

That said, when I first got the bike I had turned mine down on to reserve thinking that it was normal and eventually coughed to a stop at the bottom of an enormous hill on my way to work! Had a bit of a bead on by the time I arrived :blast

Really miss having fuel taps and reserve on my bikes.

Always used to fill to the brim and zero the trip meter.

Off and turn them off before I get home if not using the bike for a few days.

Really miss having fuel taps and reserve on my bikes.

Always used to fill to the brim and zero the trip meter.

I still do, gives a pretty good guide to when the orange light is going to come on. Sorry, off topic. But I do turn the fuel tap off on my XR250, because if it can go wrong it will...

After dismantling the old taps and found them really cruddy, I gave way and bought brand new ones.........however point taken.

I used to leave them on except for overnight until I came out of tescos and found it standing in a large pool of petrol thanks to a bit of crud on the float needle.
I've tended not to worry so much with the R100R as its in much better nick, but then I have blown the rhs carb off twice now. I had assumed it was due to poor rubbers, but you may have a point about the wasted spark.

Just stumbled across this old thread; I always turn mine off, and as a reminder I lift the handle of the fuel cap up in case I stall just after riding off. It's worked for me for the last 35 years. I've often wondered if frequent use like that will wear it out, it hasn't in the last 90,000miles, but I do strip the tap and clean and grease it very occasionally, it feels so much smoother after. :)

Back
Top Bottom