Cape Town to Namibia

rockwell

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking of air freighting bike to cape town, riding to namibia, and then air freighting the bike back to London from Windhoek.
Anyone got any advice please?

What kind of advice are you looking for?

You'll know it gets quite hot and that drinking water can be hard to find in some areas, not to mention petrol, that there are animals you should be wary of.

Whaddya wanna know?

Thinking of air freighting bike to cape town, riding to namibia, and then air freighting the bike back to London from Windhoek.
Anyone got any advice please?

unless you're going for a long time (minimum of six weeks) I wouldn't bother. Cheaper and less hassle to rent and make it a round trip.

Some great riding out there but if you're going for six weeks you could do a lot more than just CT to Windhoek...

We did a 6 week trip in 2012. Rented bikes in Cape Town, up through Namibia and safari through Etosha. Then through to Zambia for Vic falls, Botswana - go see and stay in the Okavango delta - then down to the Indian Ocean coast of South Africa and back to Cape Town. Just under 5000 relaxed miles. It is mostly pretty easy going on good Tarmac or well graded gravel roads but we didn't really seek out any extreme off road. Living is quite cheap and petrol cheaper than here.

Bikes were an XT660R and an XT660Z tenere rented from Dual Sport South Africa and were like new. He (Craig) rents several brands and models. Rental was near enough £100 a day for both bikes which I thought was very reasonable.

I will post a link to my ride report in a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

Back
Top Bottom