Le Touquet Beach Race

Giles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bloody Hell !!!! Yer think you lot had bad weather this weekend ?? :D I seriously tip my hat to all the competitors at Le Touquet this weekend - it was gale force God knows what, bitterly cold with Hail stones like ball bearings :eek: But the town was rammed. Campers every where, and most were partying all night.

Saturday was quite a good day - windy but at least sunny and dry. The one race today is Quads (which don't really do it for me ... !)

Sunday and the weather was atrocious. Hundreds of bikes lined up at parc ferme

The day started with the kids enduro race - some of these kids look about nine :clap

The weather was on the turn though, and it was time for the main event. Feck me it was blowing a hoolie .... even the camera men came down from the cranes!

What is interesting, is the huge gulf between the pro riders and the weekend club competitors. The difference is like night and day. From the start it's obvious whose quick and you'll see a rider carvng through the pack (and then read his low rider number..) but three hours into the race and the difference really shows. Some competitors are now clearly on their absolute chin strap. They're sat, hugging the contours of the floor and and can barely lift their leg to kick over a stalled bike. (and of course the paradox of sand is that the slower you ride it, the harder it is..). The pro riders though, three hours in are still bucking and jumping the course like a kangaroo on acid .... incredible fitness :clap

One poor soul was not so lucky; attended to on track by the Doctor who was winched in and was then stretcherd off - all while the race continued around them. It was like a scene from gladiator ... !

The start straight ... !

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gjcU1wrh4OQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Soooooo

Hats off to all those competitors. A true iron man race in the world of enduro - I was freezing just watching :rolleyes:

:beerjug:

I've been to weston beach races several times and have the frech experience on my to do list.I know what you mean about the pros they make it look like a peice of pish :D

I keep meaning to go to watch Le Touquet and always forget when its on, date for next year.

Me and my mate did the Weston in 2011. We are just muck about green laning standard of riding.

We entered on a whim thinking it wouldn't be that bad. We absolutely crapped ourselves when we got down there and saw the size of the sand hills, some were f'ing mountainous.

Away we were the unfit fall off struggle to get around muppets. When we started we thought we would be lucky to complete a lap, but as it happen we did 5 laps to David Knight 22, I think we had him worried a few times, so slowed down on purpose

On reflection is was a combination of terror, excitement and really good fun. I have since been to watch it and get this horrible feeling that I want to do it again.

Attachments

• IMG_1139.jpg
    IMG_1139.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 578
Ha ha ... Yep - like you I reckon I'd get round Le Touquet, but I'd be that classic out of yer depth and wobble round at half the speed of the good guys!! I think the weather and the conditions just add to the extreme challenge - Feck me, can you imagine the sheer terror of being on the start line with nigh on a thousand bikes and the gates drop :D Imagine being in the middle of that pack - doing 80? 90? 100 mph into a wall of sea water and sand :eek:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qOvQQPfDraQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I understand that the guy that was air lifted to hospital is fine. He was an amateur and was hit by one of the pro riders ...

- Feck me, can you imagine the sheer terror of being on the start line with nigh on a thousand bikes and the gates drop :D Imagine being in the middle of that pack ..

Mate of mines lad crashed out of the start of the 2012 race, can't remember a thing. Woke up in hospital with a broken pelvis and various other injuries. His Dad was riding as well, only found out later, rushes round to hospital to see how he is, and their van got cleaned out while he was there.
Mark

An old school mate of mine Gary McCoy #845 came in 338th with 10 laps :cool:

Went over to Le Touquet a few years ago and have never been so cold before or since:eek Great weekend though and well worth a visit. They are all feckin mad:thumby:

Nice pics Giles, especially as you were 'working'....:augie

I'll go one day as a spectator as it looks great fun, although sand & I don't always get on!!

Back
Top Bottom