French road toll card

Very useful, thanks. I was talking about toll tags with French colleagues today and they thought is was impossible for non-residents to have them.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

Very useful, thanks. I was talking about toll tags with French colleagues today and they thought is was impossible for non-residents to have them.

That is what I thought as well, they have even created a system for motorbikes that enjoy cheaper tolls than cars.

I have had one for about ten years. In my opinion, one of the greatest inventions since the wheel :D

I used to drive to the alps regularly and reckon during the busy periods, it saved me at least two hours in each direction, not having to queue to collect a ticket and then queue to pay. The tag owners have priority lanes and some now allow you to drive through at 30kmph - a real act of faith wneh you are approaching a barrier at speed, waiting for the "bleep"!

Sanef now operate a British branch out of Newcastle where you can apply for the tag using English forms and connect it to a UK credit / debit card without paying additional charges every time you use it. Mine is the older version (about the size of a pack of cigarrettes) - the latest version is much smaller and sits behind the rear-view mirror. Mine is connected to my Post Office credit card which does not charge for foreign transactions but if I were to apply now I would certainly go the British route.

I went over last year with a lad who had one, it is a bit clunky on a bike.

Operator only lane and not under a barrier - so you cant scoot through the "t" lane like I do in my car (I have a French one but didn't know last year I could use it on the bike... till he whipped his out (ooh err).

Still a bit quicker though and it does mean no fiddling with change with the usual gloves on/off procedure...

Does it not mean that you are paying the car rate, rather than the bike rate?

There is an extensive thread on the subject - on this forum, and I thought the concensus was, that it wasn't actually the best thing since sliced bread?

Al

I used one of the tags last year, variable recognition at the toll boths, and at one had to get the credit card out for a couple of euros toll. Overall didn't save any time / make it any easier I'd reckon. In a UK car over there, and on your own it would make it easier to pay, even if getting the ticket will be a faff.

There are conditions to obey now if you want bike rate, that's what I was trying to say in my post. Otherwise you are charged car rate. Obey and it's cheaper :nenau

Only use certain lanes, you have to hand pass in etc... ... but still better than cash handling or cards.

Does it not mean that you are paying the car rate, rather than the bike rate?

There is an extensive thread on the subject - on this forum, and I thought the concensus was, that it wasn't actually the best thing since sliced bread?

Al

This is how they say it works.

You can use a Liber-t tag with a motorcycle with some limitations, the main one being that to avoid being charged as Class 1 vehicle you must use the manual lane and hand over the tag to the person in the toll booth. They will use a barcode scanner to read the tag and will charge you as a Class 5 vehicle. The main advantage is that it saves you fumbling for cash / payment cards with gloves on but you should not use the automated lanes. If there is no manned lane, use the automated Liber-t lane. When using the automated lane on a motorcycles just hold your tag up to the gantry, label side facing you. Take care the vehicle (or other motorbike) behind is not too close as the equipment in the automated lane may register you as a larger vehicle and charge for a car (class 1). You can check your transactions in the 'My Account' area a few days later. If this happens you would need to contact us and request a toll adjustment. If you use the automatic lane then we can only request a toll adjustment if you have used the non-height restricted Liber-t lane, all vehicles using the 2 meter height restricted lane will be classed as class 1 with no option to adjust this

^
what he said :)

Up to a point.
It works thus:

On a bike, choose the lanes where the display shows:

(T + bike) -> YES
(T + 30Km) -> NO
(T) -> NO
(Green Arrow + t) -> Yes

If you go to the MotoGP, (and some other races), some of the tolls are usually free for bikes:

A11 : entre le péage de St Arnoult et Le Mans, entre Angers et Nantes et entre Angers et Le Mans,
A28 : entre St Christophe-sur-le-Nais et Le Mans, entre Alençon et Le Mans et entre Rouen et Alençon.
A81 : entre Le Mans et La Gravelle,
A85 : entre Angers et Restigné,

Sanef Liber-t tag acquisition very easy so far (speaking too soon but should arrive in the next day or so) . Its a pain searching for your card/money and worse if you need to keep removing your gloves. With Eurotunnel booking reference:
Free application - no fee (save €10)
€6** annual fee for the first year of subscription, discounted to €3** from the second year onwards
€20 refundable security deposit on the tag
€5** active usage fee - only for the months in which the tag is used and capped at €10 in any subscription year
Here

The theory is good but if it's really busy the "tag only" lane gets blocked until the last few metres by people trying to then push their way into the lanes for the other booths so there's not as much advantage as you might think. Then of course there are the people who get into the special lanes but don't have a working tag or one at all! I might check out the British based option though if there are no transaction or rental charges.

Liber-t tag arrived today, two days after the order, complete with instructions:
i-J2PqNcs-L.jpg

Note warning for motorcycles to avoid the height restriction Leber-t lane because it only permits class 1 (not our class 5)

I have one linked to my Caxton FX card (so good exchange rate and no transaction charges). Everything was fine until last month when they tried to debit the card for €11,260 instead of €112.60,

This resulted in the card being cancelled by Caxton and no end of hassle.

If you have a Liber-T debited on a UK card, you might want to check the balance. Apparently it happened to 'most' Liber-T cards debited on UK accounts in December

Addendum: I casually placed the tag within the windscreen shaded area (I wonder if people know what that's for) and thought that the job was done........no RTFM, THE TAG NEEDS TO BE REGISTERED BEFORE USE. Anyhow, job dome. More Sanef information here
Cars 2m or under are class 1 and can use the faster height restricted lane, which can often be approached at 30kph; cars with a roof box are class 2 and must use the other 't' lanes,but are still charged at the class 1 rate. Motorcycles,class 5, cannot use the left height restricted lane and instructions say that and Libet't tag on a motorcycle must be handed to an operator at a manned booth. Note the tag is NOT cheaper than cash/card use,it is a convenience feature only and there are annual 6E charges plus a month of use 5E plus a handling charge for currency conversion.:D

Back
Top Bottom