A Late Season Ride in Carinthia

The Grey One

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have little to do at the moment due to the weather driving away our usual winter guests-mostly ice climbers who come to climb the many frozen waterfalls in our valley. Only this year it's just too warm, highs of 8C most days, and the ice is unsafe. So I thought I might share something I wrote about one of my last rides of the 2013 season. Counting the days now until the bike is back on the road foe the 2014 season

Here goes! One day I will work out how to add photos properly!

Sometimes, no matter what else is making calls on my time, I just have to get out on the bike. Today was one of those days. For a week now we have had wonderful autumn weather; clear skies, crisp clear air and temperatures around 20 c. Where have I been? Inside of course, refurbishing four of our twenty-two showers. The call of duty was powerful and, until today, I had managed to resist the urge to just go out on the bike instead. Why was today different? After all there is a plan to do an end of season run over the Grossglockner tomorrow. I'm not sure I could explain it if I wanted to but I suspect that every biker would understand; I just had too!

Having sent our last biker guests of the season off over the Nockalmstrasse this morning I thought I might as well do the same. So, pausing only to fit one shower cubicle and varnish some woodwork, I was off. I can remember how many times I have done the Nockalmstrasse: if asked I would have to say, not enough times! Every run is different, the scenery changing with the seasons, the views today are transformed by the snow on the tops. The fiery colour of autumn set off against the crisp white of the snow and the wonderful elusive blue of the sky.

A week or so ago there was snow down to 1500m. As is usual when this happens all the local ski resorts get a bit excited and put gushing posts on Facebook about the snowfalls. And, as always happens at this time, the warm weather returns and they just look stupid. We all know that there will be no reliable snow until mid December at least, so why they do this remains a mystery. If they had half a brain they might recognise that all they do in perpetuate the notion, common in lot of people, that Austria is always cold and covered in snow. We do, of course, have cold winters with copious amounts of snow. We also have long warm summers running into mild autumns, full of wonderful days such as we have been having this last week.

Traffic is, almost never, a problem on the Nockalmstrasse but today it was non existent. In the entire run I saw just one other vehicle going in the same direction as me. And then, of course, only briefly. The road surface was dry so I got to play a little and to use up most of what is left of my rear tyre. Thank you, Mr Michelin, for producing the Pilot Road 3 tyres. The rear might only last 4,000 miles but that will be 4,000 miles of fun. Living here in the Alps, where most roads are more twisted than your average politician, it’s almost inevitable that the rear tyre wears out on the edges first. Well, it would be rude not to take advantage of all these wonderful roads. Everyone says the Michelins are great in the wet too but I don’t think I am qualified to comment. Of the 4,000 miles I have done on them this summer less than 200 miles will have been in the rain. I’ll have to leave wet weather testing to others I suppose.

After the delights of the Nockalmstrasse and I'm on the valley road heading towards Bad Kleinkirchheim. The roadside fields are full of cattle recently brought down from their summer pastures up on the Alms. Today they luxuriate in the sunshine, like me enjoying the last warm days before winter. Maybe they share my philosophising as they chew the cud, who knows? I, certainly, can’t help feeling privileged to be here, to be enjoying this day, despite the looming DIY. Seeing these cows reminds me of how life here is so much more in tune with the seasons that I was used to in the UK. There is a natural rhythm to life here; things still have a season, a time in which certain things are available, plentiful and good. Thankfully we don’t have the likes of Tesco flying in out-of-season and tasteless strawberries in November.

From Bad Kleinkirchheim the road descends down towards the Millstattersee, our local lake. My first sight of it today takes breath from this jaded old being. Completely still, and framed by the multi coloured forests on the far banks and the snow covered mountains beyond it is too perfect for words. At least any words I can conjure up today. But today is for being alive, being out there on my bike, no further reason for riding a bike is needed beyond today. I am here, part of this wonderful landscape with the sights, sounds and smells of the day all around me. It’s a long while until next spring, I need to add this to my bank of memories to carry me through the months when the bike is tucked away for winter.

Written on 25th October 2013

Attachments

• DSC_1336-150x150.jpg
    DSC_1336-150x150.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 289
  • 25th October 1 (1152 x 768).jpg
    25th October 1 (1152 x 768).jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 339
"From Bad Kleinkirchheim the road descends down towards the Millstattersee, our local lake. My first sight of it today takes breath from this jaded old being."

Know exactly what you mean, the North side of Loch Tay in Jockland has a view looking down on the loch from above and the sun shines down the loch towards you.

Food for the soul............

That was a good read John. Should be down your way, about that same time, this year, getting the train down to Koper (Mrs is flying into Trieste) two weeks in the coastal ares of Croatia (first time) Mrs then flies back and I am currently looking at the ferry from Trieste to Patras, Greece, couple of weeks in Greece, ferry back to Trieste, then by road back to UK, have 6 weeks leave booked, so plenty of time to chill :)

That was a good read John. Should be down your way, about that same time, this year, getting the train down to Koper (Mrs is flying into Trieste) two weeks in the coastal ares of Croatia (first time) Mrs then flies back and I am currently looking at the ferry from Trieste to Patras, Greece, couple of weeks in Greece, ferry back to Trieste, then by road back to UK, have 6 weeks leave booked, so plenty of time to chill :)

Thanks young man, don't forget you are still in credit here!

John

"From Bad Kleinkirchheim the road descends down towards the Millstattersee, our local lake. My first sight of it today takes breath from this jaded old being."

Know exactly what you mean, the North side of Loch Tay in Jockland has a view looking down on the loch from above and the sun shines down the loch towards you.

Food for the soul............

Too right, the Highlands are one of my favourite places on earth, I love the sense of being alone in a beautiful landscape the area gives. Personal I could not cope with the short days in winter but in summer it is superb.

John

Back
Top Bottom