Which bike cam is best for what I want?

itspilsbury

Reaction score
Hi,

I have considered the GoPro before then decided against it thinking that I will use it for one bike trip, create an edited video then not bother with it again. Also worried about how long i can video for before batteries going flat.

I have watched recently some video clips where riders have had a camera fitted to their bike or helmet then been involved in a collision. The video footage supporting that the rider was not at fault.

I like the idea of a camera running constantly whenever I am ridding, this would also double up nicely for the occasional bike trip/tour edited video.

So my question is, considering the most I am likely to do on a ride is about 250miles in a day, which camera would be best. I wouldn't want the SD card to fill up, or if it did it would be good if it started to overwrite itself once full from the beginning. Battery time!!!, I would want to switch the camera on before ridding and switch it off when finishing the ride at the end of the day so as to capture the whole days ridding. What about the rest of the trip, would I have to have lots of SD cards or simply copy the card onto an iPad or something then reuse it???
Is there such a camera?
Thanks

The latest Drift is pretty good and i believe is on a continous loop sort of thing and saves 5 minutes or so either side of when you hit the remote ! then goes back into loop or something along those lines

I have the older Drift HD and its pretty good the memory card is big enough for several hours of footage and battery life not too bad ( i have a spare) but can be connected to bike power. Itsnot as big and sticky out as a Gopro either.

Thanks Redrick for your quick reply, hopefully I will get lots of advice so that I can make the best decision.

My helmets are a Shoei Neotech flip front, and a Shoe Open Face (also have a Davida but wouldn't stick a helmet mount on that paint finish), will a camera mount okay on a flip front helmet does anyone know?

I had mine mounted for a short while on the side of a system 6 with no trouble if that helps. Plus of course ther is the option of mounting on the bike, i have a mount (standard Drift mount) on the beak and another ram mount on the crash bars although i do usualy just go with the helmet !

Hi,Also worried about how long i can video for before batteries going flat.

2.5hours Max. In "mild to warm" temperatures. You wont get that much unless its a hot day... wind chill takes it out of it.

Yes it can

If That's the case (guess you would plug the camera charger into an assesory socket on the bike????) and you say it will record over the SD card when it is full? If I had one set it too record and plugged the camera into my bike power then I could record continuously, say for a 10 hour continuous ride?

Which I don't think you could do with a GoPro. ???

If That's the case (guess you would plug the camera charger into an assesory socket on the bike????) and you say it will record over the SD card when it is full? If I had one set it too record and plugged the camera into my bike power then I could record continuously, say for a 10 hour continuous ride?

Which I don't think you could do with a GoPro. ???

That is my understanding of the Drift. ghost
Contact road raft rider who uses one whilst instructing
I only have the Drift HD which doesn't work quite the same or as well

Roadhawk.

Bar-mounted, bike powered. Constant-loop recording to micro-SD card.

Fit and forget, unless you want to download the odd-section.

Stunningly easy to use and nice and small.

Video not up to Drift of GoPro quality but who cares - everybody's biking videos are equally boring, no matter what the resolution...

:thumb:thumb:thumb

You want a Drift Ghost HD (or Ghost-S if your minted) with the latest firmware 2.1.6.4 (17th May 2013) with the Car DVR Mode.

Drift said:
This hands off mode setting is ideal for insurance and security purposes. The Car DVR Mode automatically turns the camera on when power is supplied via the USB port. The camera then records footage in a continuous loop style (CAR DVR Intervals) recording loop after loop until it fills the Micro SD Card. Once full the oldest loops will be deleted as the newest ones are saved. Car DVR loop intervals can be 1min, 3min, 5min, 10min or 15min intervals

Download it here.

images

There's loads of 10% discounts available too thanks to the motovlog community.

:beerjug:

Roadhawk.

Bar-mounted, bike powered. Constant-loop recording to micro-SD card.

Fit and forget, unless you want to download the odd-section.

Stunningly easy to use and nice and small.

Video not up to Drift of GoPro quality but who cares - everybody's biking videos are equally boring, no matter what the resolution...

:thumb:thumb:thumb

Oh well, thanks everyone for their advice. In the end I went for the Roadhawk Ride camera. I bought 2 of them and they are hardwired to my GSA and to the wives Harley. They both switch on when I switch the ignition on and automatically go into record, they both power down when the ignition is switched off. Mine has a 32bg microSD card in so records 8hrs and then starts to overwrite itself from the beginning, so I will always have the last 8 hours video/ My wives has kept the provided 8GB card so loops about 2hours approximately. They are 720HD so more than adequate. The only downside is they permanently have the date and time shown, this is only a small issue which I am not bothered about, but is beneficial evidentially if needed. I have tried to edit some footage and it is fine. So thanks again, and I am happy :)

One final thing, as I did have an issue with one of the cameras I have found the manufacturer to be more than helpful. I have rang them several times for advice and they have always been friendly and given me great service so far.

Code:
Eye witness app for phone and waterproof case
Works on loop also has auto save when it detects an impact

Oh yes and it's free :thumb2

GOPRO or the cheap gopro rollie action cam. results seen here

The forward facing helmet cam is the Hero 2 & the rider facing dash mount is the rollie. This is a video of last weekends trip to belgium on my one :(. I think it looks cool - but then i would do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZszsrMSY8TM

Cheers Ed

Back
Top Bottom