GSA Test Ride

Big Nick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had a test ride on the new GSA the other day and to be quite honest wasn't that struck

I think the issue was it just felt a bit too fast! In other words I felt the engine overwhelmed the chassis a bit and I could see myself getting into trouble doing speeds that the may tie the bike up a bit in knots

I know the throttle twists both ways but that's not really my point which is basically is that extra power usable on a bike of this type?

The power modes really work but I found myself leaving it in 'road ' virtually all the time so again is there any point to that tech?

The seat was still bloody awful and I had bum ache after only 60 miles (my bike has a Sargent)

Maybe another test ride later in the biking season may help when my riding brain is more dialled in as I so wanted to like the bike

I test rode the new GS LC last year, and I thought that was too quick for what I wanted...I thought the new GSA was probably a good compromise between the quicker engine, and it being a GSA.

I agree about the modes though...I kept it in Road most of the time...I found in Dynamic I was just going the same speed but in a lower gear. Having said that, Rain mode might be handy on a wet journey. I guess it's handy to have, but not essential, but it's how biking is going now.

I didn't have any trouble with the seat, but I was only on it an hour...I've also got a Sargent seat on my GSA, and they spoil you to be honest.

I found overall that the bike was a lot lighter, smoother, with a very good riding position. Had good brakes, was quicker...but I thought the wind turbulence was worse, and the gearbox very clunky...in fact it was a conscious effort to try and not get it to clunk and grind into gear.

Overall I liked the bike, and I would think about trading mine in...but it's hard to warrant the cost to change charge on the bottom line!

:thumb2

I have not ridden the new GSA but I test rode the r1200rt (liquid cooled) last week.

It's an interesting bike and I'm sure many people will love it. However I was very pleased to get back on my 2013 GSA Hexhead, with it's far better handling and comfort.

I don't need 125 bhp, two extra rads to worry about or coolant to change.
My first experience of a quick shifter gearbox was fun but I certainly was not impressed with the gearbox when shifting normally with the clutch. To be fair the box may improve with miles/familiarity.

I liked it when I test rode it 2 weeks ago . it is quicker off the mark , but i found the handling good and it cornered well. light in traffic while on the move and comfortable . Did a deal with my Sandrover GSA and it comes next week . An extended test is needed and I just wanted to keep riding it when it was time to give the keys back . The modes are I guess useful though road was the main one . Rain is useful as it softens things a bit . give it another go :thumby:

Go for dynamic throttle response and soften the esa manually thats the beauty of this system you can select just how you want things :cool:

On my r1200gs wc basic it only comes with rain and road modes but I tend to use rain mode most of the time. Same power just a more pleasant and relaxed riding experience.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I rode the new GSA on Sunday and I was completely bowled over. Admittedly I had just bought the bike... It is very different in character to the older twincam and model before that. It didn't feel as torquey and the engine spins up much faster. The handling I think is superb, much lighter and flickable. I know other road tests have mentioned this before.

In my opinion it's a brilliant bike, just very different to the older ones. Horses for courses I guess.

P.s. Don't have an axe to grind, still have older GSA, 3 HP2 Enduros, HP4 etc......

Personally i find road mode enough, more relaxing than the slightly twitchy (imho) throttle experience in dynamic. Was the same with my multistrada, i wasnt keen on the really aggressive map. i prefer to dial in a handful of throttle when i want to motor on, with small inputs on the throttle being smooth and controlled, road mode seems to give me that.

Each to their own though.

Personally i find road mode enough, more relaxing than the slightly twitchy (imho) throttle experience in dynamic. Was the same with my multistrada, i wasnt keen on the really aggressive map. i prefer to dial in a handful of throttle when i want to motor on, with small inputs on the throttle being smooth and controlled, road mode seems to give me that.

Each to their own though.

I thought that on my test ride

Road mode was lovely................whereas Dynamic was too twitchy and flighty on roads around the Peaks

Thinking of 'upgrading' JB?
And while I'm on the subject, why do you keep posting in here? :augie

;)

Twin Cam GSA in yellow, a future classic.
I rode my old bike last week when i met up with the new owner--Sublime

Going for a test ride next week it is going to gave to be bloody good to tempt me to replace my 2011 twin cam gsa, the 2013 gs water cooled I tried last year definitely was not

I think the issue was it just felt a bit too fast! In other words I felt the engine overwhelmed the chassis a bit

I have a 2014 GSLC and feel the same way too. When really caning it , you can feel the chassis & suspension squirming/twisting as it tries to channel the torque from the engine to the road.

of course we're talking about a big enduro bike here. So some accomodation from the chassis/suspension is only to be expected when its being ridden on asphalt.

Going for a test ride next week it is going to gave to be bloody good to tempt me to replace my 2011 twin cam gsa, the 2013 gs water cooled I tried last year definitely was not

I've got a 2010 Twin Cam GSA...and I rode the new LC GS last year too...and there was no way that I'd change the Adventure for it. It was too racy, and just too skittish for my taste.

However the new GSA had me tempted...it's instantly noticeable how lighter and flickable it is, the riding position is perfect (for me anyway), and although it is a noticeably faster engine, it has been turned down compared to the LC GS.
As someone else mentioned, there isn't anywhere as near as much torque, or engine braking on the new bike. And the gearbox is very 'clunky'...maybe that will improve with the miles?

I would be sorely tempted...but the cost to change figure was just too high for me..although I was quoted a particularly poor trade in, which I guess is due to the high demand.

Overall, a very nice bike :thumb2

Hi Neil, exactly my thoughts when I rode the 2013 GSWC, but as soon as the 2014 model came out It came home with me..

I would be sorely tempted...but the cost to change figure was just too high for me..although I was quoted a particularly poor trade in, which I guess is due to the high demand.

Interested to hear about your p/x valuation. I also have a 2010 TC GSA and when I asked last year it was already laughable, now it's probably worse given the high demand.

I had a test ride on the new GSA the other day and to be quite honest wasn't that struck

I think the issue was it just felt a bit too fast! In other words I felt the engine overwhelmed the chassis a bit and I could see myself getting into trouble doing speeds that the may tie the bike up a bit in knots

I know the throttle twists both ways but that's not really my point which is basically is that extra power usable on a bike of this type?

The power modes really work but I found myself leaving it in 'road ' virtually all the time so again is there any point to that tech?

The seat was still bloody awful and I had bum ache after only 60 miles (my bike has a Sargent)

Maybe another test ride later in the biking season may help when my riding brain is more dialled in as I so wanted to like the bike

+1
After a good 2 hour test ride, i was left a bit nonplussed by the new GSA.

Suspension and handling was good - but not as plush and planted as my Wilbered 2013 GSA TC.
Engine performance was good, but not the huge difference i'd expected.
But what irked me the most, was the constant drone/resonance from the engine?? and the floppy flappy screen.

So for me, not worth trading up from my excellent TC GSA.......yet:augie

Interested to hear about your p/x valuation. I also have a 2010 TC GSA and when I asked last year it was already laughable, now it's probably worse given the high demand.

My quote was for £8,000....bear in mind that mine has only got 6,500 miles on it, since it has stood unused for the best part of the last 3 years after a massive cycling accident left me unable to ride it for two+ years! It's immaculate, got HID's on main, dip, and fog, and few tasteful extras, and included the luggage......and as I pointed out to the salesman, the part-ex seemed a bit low, seeing as he had bikes of a similar age but with much more miles on the clock in his showroom going for £11,000!

Guess they're flying out the door, and they want to make money on both parts of the deal...

Back
Top Bottom