FIAMM Mini Blaster Problem

Dubmark

Reaction score
I fitted the FIAMM to my 2013 R1200GS LC

The problem is that is only sounds for approx half a second and thats it.
If I turn off the ignition and turn it on again I blasts for a half second
and refuses to work.

I am using the canbus wiring kit and have tested the horn on another
vehicle and it works fine. The original horn works fine as well with
no intermittend problem

Has anyone come across this problem and how is it sorted.

Dubmark

It's drawing more than five amps. The Canbus trips to safety. Turning the ignition off and on again re-sets it (clever like) and you trip it again.

Fit a relay or only sound for 0.25 seconds.

It should draw around 5 amps so sounds like it is just on the verge of being too much. I've just bought one to fit so this is a pain :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem solved. I had a quick word with a mechanic who adivsed two things.

Canbus systems are temperamental. Where most may not trip you get the odd one that will.
The answer is to fit a relay.

Fit a relay anyway. Its good practice.

Sounds like what Wapping said above.

So thats what I did. I fit the relay. Wired back to the battery with a 10amp inline fuse.

It works perfectly now.

I might add it is a lot louder than it was before it cut. I surmise it is drawing the proper
current. It would wake the dead.

Dub.

I've got the same problem, after getting both the horn and connector from Nippy's - they need to amend their info to say it might not work.

Anyone know of a relay/wiring kit I can buy?

Anyone know of a relay/wiring kit I can buy?

You could ask Dubmark, I guess.... If only he were a subscriber.

Failing that, this is the neatest combined fuse and relay option on the market: http://www.rowe-electronics.com/modules

It's not cheap but it works well and can be easily used to power / control all sorts of other peripherals.

Failing that, any decent motor factors will provide a suitable relay. The wiring is easy. See http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...r-The-easy-way/page2&highlight=Switched+power #17

Failing that, drop the horn and revert to the adequate original.

Does anyone know if the current FIAMM Mini Blasters draw less current?

I've just been looking on Nippy's and all the feedback says they work without a relay.

The Mini blaster I got from Nippy , early last year , came with a relay and wiring diagram , the only thing extra you needed was the bmw plug conversion !:thumb

The Mini blaster I got from Nippy , early last year , came with a relay and wiring diagram , the only thing extra you needed was the bmw plug conversion !:thumb

You sure it was the mini, as mine didn't come with this and it's not mentioned on the website?

I'm going to try adding a resistor in series with the horn and see if by reducing the voltage/current slightly if that stops it tripping.

Trip to Maplin needed first :)

Reply from NN

The horn should work fine (and has on hundreds of BMW’s) if connected to the horn connector using our Can Bus wiring kit.
The only other possibility is a faulty horn.
Or the current allowed on the circuit by the electronic fuse has been reduced.
This would be a case for the dealer and is the most likely problem as the horn does not appear to be faulty.
Regards
NN

Put the horn in the bin, fed up with the legendary cr@ppy service from NN and wont be using them again.

:rob

NN are not what they used to be. Always a bad sign when a company fails to advertise there phone number...

Thought it was common knowledge that the canbus system only permitted about 5A of current to be drawn, which makes me wonder why NN's is stating that the horn is faulty? It leads me to believe that they are not familiar with the bikes that they are selling accessories for!

Back
Top Bottom