5 or 6 days solo trip to England from Belgium, any advises or roadbooks welcome :)

Hsound

Reaction score
Hi ! First, sorry for my poor english, I'm from the french part of Belgium...

End of may I'm planning to travel to your nice country, having 5 or 6 days at my disposal. I like nature, castles and don't like big cities. It will be my first trip to england by motorcycle... a bit afraid of riding on the left side.

I will not camp but will try finding B&B, will I have to book them in advance ? Are there a lot ? What price is it usualy ?

I'm not a big rider and like to take my time, taking pictures, looking at nature,...

Thinking at Wales, is it a good idea ? Any roadbooks, someone ?

2h30 to go to Calais using the speedways, I don't know how long it take to cross the chanel (will I have to book it in advance, what's the waiting time ?).
From Folkstone, what's the best way to join Wales and find a B&B ?

Thanks for your help.

Bernard.
R1200Gs LC

Greetings Bernard, if you're coming over at the end of May I'd be mindful to avoid the half-term school holiday's that fall for most within the first 2 weeks of June, depending on which part of the UK you're in. If you do avoid the school holidays you should have no problem checking into hotels/B&B's as you go. Range from £50 - £100 per night depending on quality/location etc...

If you like your castles, I'd cross from Calais and head towards Leeds Castle in Kent for the first night. Warwick Castle is very impressive as well and worth a look as you travel north through the midlands.
If you love your nature you're spoilt for choice, Dartmoor, Snowdonia the Yorkshire Dales, North York Moors, Northumberland, the Cairngorms and Glen Coe the list is endless.

Go out of the half term, as mentioned above, (last week of may/first week of june) then traffic should be a little lighter.
premierinn.com would be a good place to start - many around, clean rooms and not a lot of money

For castles reasonably close to Calais, you could try Dover castle (about 10 miles from the Tunnel) Leeds castle (on the way towards London on the M20) Rochester castle (A2 towards London) Cooling castle (off the beaten track a bit but in lovely country surrounding)

The train takes about 20-25 minutes to get from Calais to Folkestone, via the channel tunnel and Wales is about 5 hours drive via motorways, but you probably want to take slower roads and stop off for a night or two (Stratford upon Avon on the way if you're into Shakespeare and has some great roads to ride)

If you wanted to get into Wales without the slog around the M25 and up the M4, you could always take the ferry from Caen or Cherbourg to either Poole or Portsmouth. My preference would be Poole and that start you off with a nice ride in the UK. Have a great trip.

The fast, direct route to Dover to Wales will take the best part of a day in each direction.
I've never enjoyed the route to/from Dover. Here's a more local suggestion that excludes Dover.
If you're set on Wales you could still take in some of this route on the way to Wales; for example joining M4 near Newbury

Ferry Dieppe to Newhaven:
Lewes: very historic town. Tudor, Anne of Cleeves House (ex-wife of Henry VIII) Worth an overnight stay I think
South Downs National Park route. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...a=mrv&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12&t=m&z=13
Just a quick markup - 100 miles/160km. Very scenic, some narrow back roads, some fast too, many charming villages.
(Winchester selected as end point on map, not as recommended destination)

Arundel : Castle open to public
Petworth House: fine house and gardens
To the north is the A272 east-west route. Highly regarded by many as a biking route. I prefer other roads but if you are pressed for time it will be useful
If you want to know any popular 'biker meeting points in the route area let me know and I'll mark them up.

Finaly I'm coming this Thursday until Tuesday :) The weather forecast looks good. Belgium to Folkestone. Dover, Leeds, Rochester, Windsor castels and many more.. Then to Weymouth, Plymouth,... depending if I have time.

I've just book the first night in a B&B than I ll try to find some on the road without booking. Is it risky ?

I'm perhaps taking a little tent with me, is 'wild' camping permitted ?

Thanks forvall your advises.

Back
Top Bottom