Replacing Grips on 1150 GSA

Waiohine Man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can replace the grips on my bike without buying the whole heated grip assembly. I've found a post on here that shows how to carefully cut the grip back without slicing the element then slip on the grips over with hairspray. But mine is different where the grips are completely glued on and it seems the element might be inside somehow. I'm confused. Oh ans also thee is a raised bit on the outside edge so the replacement grip wouldn't go over it anyway.

Obviously, you remove the handguards before doing all of this. Use a brand new razor blade in your cutter. Do NOT cut all the way through the grip, just cut most of the way and it will split the rest of the way. Yes, they are glued on there, but they will peel off without ruining the heating elements. Be careful and go slowly. Then you can put whatever grips you want on there. However, you'll need to buy two sets as the BMW bars require two throttle tube grips (the ones with the larger inside diameter).

However, you'll need to buy two sets as the BMW bars require two throttle tube grips (the ones with the larger inside diameter).

Good advice from Yeti, there, but you can order two right hand grips rather than ordering two sets and discarding the left hand ones... Cheaper by far.

Obviously, you remove the handguards before doing all of this. Use a brand new razor blade in your cutter. Do NOT cut all the way through the grip, just cut most of the way and it will split the rest of the way. Yes, they are glued on there, but they will peel off without ruining the heating elements. Be careful and go slowly. Then you can put whatever grips you want on there. However, you'll need to buy two sets as the BMW bars require two throttle tube grips (the ones with the larger inside diameter).

Motorworks will supply a pair for this, so no need to double order...

Mike :cool:

Funnily enough I've just stuck some grip puppies over the top of my existing worn and cracked grips. Bit of fairy liquid and bingo, sorted. £13 off fleabay.

Funnily enough I've just stuck some grip puppies over the top of my existing worn and cracked grips. Bit of fairy liquid and bingo, sorted. £13 off fleabay.

I did exactly the same when my OEM grips started to wear out - however the original grips then split and disintegrate underneath the grip puppies to the extent that the throttle can jam open. Which can be quite exciting. Replacement grips just ordered at a cost of £25 which I thought was pretty steep. Note: there appears to be different OEM grips depending on whether you have heated grips or not.

I followe Mike O's 'How to' on here :bow worked a treat!!
Just as said above, sharp knife, take your time and voila. :beerjug:

This is assuming they are standard BMW heated grips.......:blast

Bought and fitted a pair of these the other week - essentially identical to the original BMW ones and I think a wee bit cheaper.

As the others have said, the old ones come off easily enough. I had the heaters on for 5 or 10 minutes to soften the old grips and (in my mind at least) soften the original glue. Mine had already split a little so it was just a case of scoring the grips with a sharp blade and extending the splits until they came off, being super-careful not to damage the heating element underneath or the wires towards the bar ends.

Dipped the new grips in boiling water for a minute or two to soften them up and, with a quick squirt of hairspray inside the new grip they slipped on with no problems at all.

Both heated grips working nicely as before.

I've ordered the same grips. Good tip on dipping the new grips in boiling water. Out of interest did you glue the grips on?

Anyone got a link to Mike O's post on changing grips, can't seem to find it?

No, no glue. The hairspray acts like a glue. I'd think gluing them on would probably prevent you ever replacing them again without tearing the heating element trying to get them off. Although, that said, my first pair have lasted 12 years on the bike so I can't see that I'll be worrying about changing them again!

No, no glue. The hairspray acts like a glue. I'd think gluing them on would probably prevent you ever replacing them again without tearing the heating element trying to get them off. Although, that said, my first pair have lasted 12 years on the bike so I can't see that I'll be worrying about changing them again!

Okay dokes - no glue it is - thanks:)

That'll explain why I copuldn't find it then. Great write up - thanks:thumb

Grips arrived and changed - took all of 5 minutes. Excellent guide Mike. Thanks :thumb

You could wrap 3mm sorbothane sheet over the elements and then cover with snooker cue heat shrink sleeve. Sorbothane absorbs vibrations and the heat shrink has a criss-cross non slip pattern.

I've done this on my 1200. I find the standard grips s bit thin so fattening them by 1/4" was good and I got some vibration reduction.

I swapped the grips on my 1150 and it was the easiest thing I have ever done on the bike. I had to check it over 2-3 times 'cos I thought I must have done it wrong or something. Amazing how the hair spray works. Maybe I was just lucky.

I remember seeing a video on YouTube where a guy repaired a broken element. Just trimmed back the insulation and repaired with some solder if I recall.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom