Something I cobbled together.

Twistgrip

Reaction score
It took me about 18months to build this from scratch. Its not quite finished yet,but it sailed through the MoT on Monday.
I made the panniers,top box,sidecar cargo box,fenders,dummy tank in fibreglass.
Me and my angle grinder did the metal fabrication,but not the welding.
Sidecar suspension is my own design,though I stole a few ideas from from other(mainly German)outfits.
All paintwork was done, by me,in the old-school way;hand painted with coach enamel.7 coats.

Some may not like it,but I built this to please me,no-one else:rob
[
/URL]
[URL=http://s733.photobucket.com/user/Twistgrip/media/Sidecar%20Project/P1010053_01_zps2bf33a28.jpg.html]

Bloody good going for a self build mate. :thumb2

From the photos it seems a shame that you didn't make the rear of the sidecar the same as the front to even the lines and shape out,and for extra stowage,although it looks voluminous enough as it is.

Cracking job though,Gromit. :beerjug:

That is strangely nice. Are you taking up undertaking by any chance? :nenau

Your tow hitch has fallen off :blast

ps - very nice outfit :clap

Cracking bit of kit. One thing you may have omitted to consider (if I may be so bold as to mention it) Wont your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend etc :pget angry about being locked into a box with no windows ?

Bloody good going for a self build mate. :thumb2

From the photos it seems a shame that you didn't make the rear of the sidecar the same as the front to even the lines and shape out,and for extra stowage,although it looks voluminous enough as it is.

Cracking job though,Gromit. :beerjug:

Thanks for the compliments,Tarka.

The reason that the sidecar box stops short of the panniers is that I shall be fitting a tent rack there,when I've made it!!

I hope to have everything done,ready for the European Sidecar Rally in Luxembourg in September.

Thanks to all for the compliments:D

I might drill a couple of holes in the box,just so the missus don't feel too isolated:comfort

No beer in the box,I've been teetotal all my life. I could carry some for others,though(for a fee:beerjug:)

Bloody lovely that, congratulations on a great job, is it an early Goldwing engine?

I like it a lot!

But those fork legs look skinny??

The leading links were originally made by EML, (they know a thing or two about leading links!) for a Guzzi California. I had to widen them by 1/2" to fit the 'Wing fork yokes. I made jigs to hold them in place while the welder did his bit.

The legs are 38mm dia,made,not from steel tube,but hollow steel bar,(there is a difference) wall thickness is 6mm. Oh,and they meet German TUV approval.

Just seen this as I don't usually frequent the other bikes forum. What a great job, very nice indeed.

Back
Top Bottom