Guide: Hyperpro Fork spring upgrade F650gs Twin

ferrol

Reaction score
I swore there was another article on here or somewhere that details this exact procedure... but having searched fruitlessly I decided to write another and post it in case someone else would like to do the exact same.

Additional useful thread Hyperpro-front-fork-springs-which-way-round-and-other-stuff

Tools needed:
T35, T40, E12, Hammer, punch.
10 Weight fork oil 1.5 litre Haynes manual states 530ml per leg.....

IMG_20140615_101049-M.jpg

The main issue for me was front end dive on braking which was beginning to bug me, the other reason was that I was beginning to get more adventurous off road, having bottoming out the forks a few times, so I decided to try and upgrade a little.

OK shall we start:

The Haynes manual details taking off all body work at the front to avoid scratching it up. I didn't bother as A) I'm not overly precious of my bike. (It’s a working bike), and B) I'm lazy

Tip 1: Loosen up all bolts while forks are still in the clamps and wheel is still attached.

Jack up under the sump to support the front end and raise the wheel off the ground.

Undo the speed sensor so it’s out of the way undamaged before you get the wheel out. Remove wheel remembering to push the caliper in
from the outside to increase the gap inside where the brake pads are. (Makes it easier to put the front wheel back in later).

Remove caliper and place it supported either with string out the way or hook it conveniently on the sump guard.

Remove mud guard

Undo the 4 bolts on the fork bridge to remove.
IMG_20140615_094213-M.jpg

Undo top and bottom fork clamp bolts.
Picture of top of the forks with plastic cap taken off. Note the corrosion :-(
IMG_20140615_094801-M.jpg

Slide the leg out remembering to smash the damn thing into the ground as you didn't raise the front end up high enough!...:blast

Pop the top cap on the fork and inspect the top plug. (The plug maybe corroded, if it is spray some anti-seize in.)
The plug is held in place by a circlip and the pressure from the internal fork spring. You can push the actual plug down with your
thumb. If it’s corroded, use punch and give it a few taps until it moves freely up and down.

Depress the plug and remove the circlip. The plug should come out if you slightly compress the fork legs and basically pop it off. (The spacer forces it out). Inspect the plug seal to make sure its not perished. (Replace if necessary)

IMG_20140615_103152-M.jpg

Remove spacer and depress the fork to get to the spring.

Pour oil out into something. Pump the forks several times to help drain the remaining in the bottom. GIve the inner a clean with wire wool if it needs it, be careful not to get any wool fragments drop into the internal fork.

Refill forks until level of oil is about 100mm [Edit: should be 190mm] from the top of the inner leg when the fork is fully depressed. Pump the forks a few times to allow the new oil to work its way in. Insert new spring and
spacer back in.

Comparison between both spring types, spacer present also.
IMG_20140615_103946-M.jpg

Reinsert plug and fasten down with circlip.

Chuck a little fork oil in the top and swill it around to help keep the plug from corroding.

Other fork is exactly the same.

Reverse procedure to reassemble. While you are at it, cover everything in ACF 50.

I took the opportunity to install some fork boot protection.
IMG_20140615_123108-M.jpg

Remember to pump the brake a few times before you test the work you've done.

Have a cup of tea and admire your work.:thumby:

IMG_20140615_133346-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The instructions that come with the springs says that the oil should be 190mm from the top of the fork when fully compressed, I assume that as the kit comes with only 1 litre of 10W oil that these springs require less oil? I've put less than 500ml in each and it has made a big difference but it still dips a touch so I think i'll redo and top up to the stated 530.

Have you found it's made a huge difference yet?

Oil level in the generic Hyperpro manual was little confusing, so I defaulted to the Haynes recommended amount.

Got me thinking now, ie. disaplacement. More coils = more displacement.

Frankly I had a hard time reading the Hyperpro manual. Have emailed them anyway, would of been good to weigh both spring to find out for sure the actual displacement. Wouldn't be too hard to remove/add oil anyway, just pop the top cap and add/remove. :)

Fork feels better, gone is the diving on the front and it seems smoother when I nipped off road for a brief play.

More googling I think. Will update the guide once I get more firmer details.

Wow fast email back from Hyperpro, recommended 190mm as you stated.

Gonna remove some oil tonight I think. Will update the guide to reflect this.
Edit: Actually I can't now for some reason. Will contact a mod.

Dave, no it wasn't yours, but I do have your one bookmarked for when I replace the rear later on :)

Think it may of been on ADVrider.com but couldn't find it.

Anyway, have removed approx 90mm of oil if you can measure oil in mm's! Was easy, pop cap, shove tube down, carefully, suck out oil..... heh WIll test it over the next few days to see how it goes.

Oil level in the generic Hyperpro manual was little confusing, so I defaulted to the Haynes recommended amount.

Got me thinking now, ie. disaplacement. More coils = more displacement.

Frankly I had a hard time reading the Hyperpro manual. Have emailed them anyway, would of been good to weigh both spring to find out for sure the actual displacement. Wouldn't be too hard to remove/add oil anyway, just pop the top cap and add/remove. :)

Fork feels better, gone is the diving on the front and it seems smoother when I nipped off road for a brief play.

More googling I think. Will update the guide once I get more firmer details.

Thank you for the guide.

If it helps - each of the HP springs weighs 438 grams.

Best,

S

Thanks for the guide. It came in very useful.

If you have the factory lowered bike I can confirm that 1L of oil is all you need as each fork leg takes almost exactly 500mL.:thumby: Took a relaxed 2 hours to do the spring change.
Apart from the comfort seat the Hyperpro has too be the best farkle for the F650GS. The difference to the handling is amazing.
The front end feels much more planted, there is no more wallowing through bends and less diving during braking. Also the front end behaves better on bumpy potholed roads.
Best non butt related mod available for £116.

Just do it.

Balders

Had these in my 650GS, great upgrade..

And easily fitted by all but complete feckwitts ;)

Luckily the 700GS comes with much longer & progressive springs from the factory, due to the twin discs I spose.... :green gri

Back
Top Bottom