JohnGS1100 Tuning Chip

Also, the rev counter is not mechanically driven like the speedo. Perhaps that explains the unexplainable? It's like mrs Doyle turned into mila kunis and pulled her pants down. Over and out on this.

Best regards.

8apajaqe.jpg

I'm giving it ten out of ten fun factor points.

Well i fitted my replacement chip from John today, my bike a single spark 2001 r1150gs with remus decat and remus silencer. The bike runs much smoother than with the stock chip and revs out cleaner. Also holding a steady throttle it doesnt surge anywhere near as much and feels less mechanically stressed than before.......for some reason.
I've just ordered one primarily for the above reason. The surging I'm experiencing between 2-3k is unpleasant (particularly so two-up) and the chip'll be worth it for that alone: anything else will be a bonus.

I'll update this thread when it's arrived and fitted.

R

I see where you are coming from mike but I saw it. Repeatedly. Perhaps John could help explain? All I know is I'm dighted with the change.

Sent by SOB

I think you just driving your bike (at 70 miles) by much more little opening of throttle position than previous old stock chip. The rpms is the same not change by chip.
The new chip has very high timing advance at little opening of throttle position than stock chip (about 13 degrees), and exploits the thermodynamic efficiency of gasoline with higher octane.
I can not explane it better LoL !!
Sure will have much better consumption (if you drive the bike easy). But i see that you enjoy the running of your bike like a children when take a new bike !!! Your bike by new chip runs like a 1000 cc bikes at high rpms but by better consumption. My next modification is this one. I will put cylinders and pistons from r850 to my 1100, also will put mod camshafts to have great fuel economy along with high power when the engine runs at high rpms.
So i believe that then i 'll have the perfect BMW boxers bike. Much better economy consumption at low speed (city driving) and power like 1100 at high revs of rpms, (i am thinking about 80+ horsepower at 7.800+ rpms)..

Enjoy it i m very happy for you. Thanks

Thanks John. I've tested the rpm gauges. There is no Change from before the chip was installed. I'm wrong and apologies to to forum for banging on about it.

I'm still delighted by the bikes performance and in city riding it is much crisper. Better fuel economy and much easier to ride. The way it revs and rides now is addictive and more user friendly.

Thanks for the explanation.

Sent by SOB

I've just ordered one primarily for the above reason. The surging I'm experiencing between 2-3k is unpleasant (particularly so two-up) and the chip'll be worth it for that alone: anything else will be a bonus.

I'll update this thread when it's arrived and fitted.

R

Ralph. I will send to you a modification chip based on R1150RS maps (95 Hp). I want to try it at your bike. Gives very more power at high, Try it for few days, after if you dont like it just tell me to change it by a normal tuned chip (based on r1150r maps)..
I do not know what how will about consumptions at R1150R (with narrow intakes tubes).. you will see it better. :) Let's make the test.. :thumb

I try to keep the cost very low. (by economy chips from china and economy shipping by tax free to worldwide (for no cost to buyer).. The chips are new and more faster, more resistant hard, the shipment is very fast but..

Look what happened to a shipment to USA.

Not to worry John, the bike would have been to fast for those pesky Yanks:D

Mine's superb thank you, still not been able to check fuel consumption because the power's so good I keep playing hard.:beerjug:

Apart from running much smoother it now has more performance throughout the rev range with a pillion than it previously had solo ....... as my wife found out:D!!

Oh.. my wife climbs astride my r1100gs only if i drive less than 55 miles per hour.

I went on a journey the past few days and I got started shaven but when we arrived I was unshaven with beard, took me two days to rest. It was only 120 miles to sea.. :jager

Wow i go slowly, What if I make tuned chips.. LoL !!

This is my wife, very pretty but it's very hard to live with her.. :weights

10526007_371367913023511_8262850920026403908_n.jpg

Very pretty but perhaps you need a new T shirt
412lC1hoX0L._SX342_.jpg

I try hard for it, 8 years ago !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) LoL.

Thank you Tim.. :beerjug:
When i m ready, i ll let you know to send to me this T-shirt :rob

Hey John. I have been following this thread (and others) closely and wanted to ask you a quick question.
In you digging through the maps did you figure out if there are two different ignition timing maps for primary and secondary spark (for twin spark engines). I am running my primary spark plug from the secondary coil (stick coil delete) and I am not seeing any major power difference due to the timing (but others say otherwise).
Maybe if you compared single vs double spark data (2.2 vs 2.4) you could figure it out without too much effort.
Thank you
Esmir

Hey John. I have been following this thread (and others) closely and wanted to ask you a quick question.
In you digging through the maps did you figure out if there are two different ignition timing maps for primary and secondary spark (for twin spark engines). I am running my primary spark plug from the secondary coil (stick coil delete) and I am not seeing any major power difference due to the timing (but others say otherwise).
Maybe if you compared single vs double spark data (2.2 vs 2.4) you could figure it out without too much effort.
Thank you
Esmir

No there is not double maps for ignitions. Be sure for that. You can change all ignition coils from R1150 twin and fit one 4 plug ignition from fiat punto GR or peugeot 106 Ralye.
Here is a ignition coil from Fiat punto GT. This coil have 3 pinouts. two for ignition signal, one for 12V. So if fit the one signal of primary ignition coil, and one from secondary, you can take out two pairs of ignition wires for 4 spark.

48025.jpg

Here are thw ignition coil from R1150 twin, there are many problems to these ignition coils, because the registor is in to spark pipe. Very hot, problems with water poorr electrical performance spark.

10501820_356037934556509_2089669386590955784_n.jpg

Look what happen after many miles .. :

bobine%2520001.jpg

A best tip is replace all ingnitions from R1150, fit the ignition from puntoGT and fit 4 wires going to sparks.

spark-plug-wires-for-fiat-punto-fire-engine-11-12-8v.jpg

The improve by this modifications gives more volts than poor BMW ignition coil. (from 14.000 Vlots to 15.000 Volts).
That gives much better consumptions, no problems, water proof (is under tank), better ignition, for the entire life of the bike.

So when or if will have problems with primary ignition coils, one solution (low cost) is this :

015-S.jpg

Take a look at this thead, a guy fit a ignition coil with wires to his R1150 twins, like the standard one of r150 single.. :

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713106

Anyway, you ask for maps.. There are 3 types of standard stock chips for R1150GS. One for R1150GS single spark (1999-2003), one for R1150GS twin spark (2003-2004) and one for R1150 advendure. These files are very seams, same power, same poor (very lean) AFR, same problems (low torque at low rpms) poor performance at high and more else problems. The different is only to the bin file of advendure. This file has double sets of ignition timing advance maps, one set for CCP 30 87 (normal petrols 95+ octane) and a seconds set of maps (low quality, low octane or enrons petrols, by CCP 30 87 86. Also this funtions by CCP at 30 86 87a 87 works at all R1100- (The R1100 to switzerland has CCO at 30-87-86-87a low performance) , but for R1150 works only at R1150GS ADV. To other R1150 (non ADV) a tip is to connect the 30 87 87a, this setup gives more fuel, a little richer AFR. A tip for R1100 fo use low octane petrols, is to connect (like swiss model) for R1100GS,R CCP 30 86 87 87a and for R1100RT the 30 86 87 (not 87a).
For R1100 the pins of CCP is : The 87a for narrow tubes, the 87 is for lambda, 30 is ground, 86 is for low ioctane.
FOR R1150 the pins of CCP is : The 87 for lambda, 30 is ground, 87a for a little richer afr and 86 (works only for ADV) is for low octane petrols..

10303969_356931747800461_3960023125771121688_n.jpg

There two type of ECU for R models. The Bosch motronic MA 2.2 R1100 GS,RT,R) and the bosch motronic MA 2.4 for all R1150 (RT,GS,R,RS,RT) and for R1100S, R850C and 1200C..
All motronic 2.4 are same to all R1150, to R1100S and to R850C and R1200C.
BMW just fits twin spark at 2003 to boxers engine and make a poor bin file for ECU., just for compliance with the European emission standards.

My opinion for these different bin files at stock chips for R1150GS is this one.
It is preferable to use mix of maps from r1150rt-rs in conjunction with a map of the r1150gs single, to have maximum torque at low and medium revs of rpm and maximum power at high revs.
This is exactly what I try to do to my chip.
Bmw just made ​​different file types for reasons marketing, due to modulation of the motorcycle. There are many types of bikes, with the same boxer engine.. (RT,GS,R,RS,S).

Thanks for the detailed info. So from your expert opinion primary and secondary spark fire at the same time, always?

Thanks for the detailed info. So from your expert opinion primary and secondary spark fire at the same time, always?

Yes. Your secondery ignition coils gives more Volts than the primary. I think, when you connect the secondary coil to the primnary spaks you hear more strognger the engine.

Thank you.
Did you think about using your own jumper "codes" to access your own different maps on a chip?

On the dual-spark R1150 the dwell time to the primary coils is only about 1 millisecond. The dwell time for the secondary coil is about 3 mS. I don't know anyone who has published measurements of the timing difference, if any, between primary and secondary on the R1150.

Given that the center plug ignites the mixture from the center of the combustion chamber and the bottom plug ignites from the side of the chamber, I personally wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a timing difference.

On the R1200, which has stick coils on primary and secondary, I have read many credible reports that there is a timing difference between the two.

Neither the BMSK or Motronic report any OBD information on the secondaries, so that info remains hidden.

Interesting article: http://www.ijsr.net/archive/v2i8/MDIwMTMyNDM=.pdf

And another one: http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com/Downloads/TomCutterDualPlugIgnition.pdf

There two type of ECU for R models. The Bosch motronic MA 2.2 R1100 GS,RT,R) and the bosch motronic MA 2.4 for all R1150 (RT,GS,R,RS,RT) and for R1100S, R850C and 1200C..
All motronic 2.4 are same to all R1150, to R1100S and to R850C and R1200C.
BMW just fits twin spark at 2003 to boxers engine and make a poor bin file for ECU., just for compliance with the...

John, Something for you to consider, based on the articles in my last post: since the dual-spark bikes require less timing advance than the single-spark (based on shorter distances for the flame front to travel) to create the same peak-pressure timing, it may be that the dual-spark timing is not as conservative as you think ... and it may not be good to advance it too much.

Yes, maybe there is a minimum time difference, but not caused by Motronic, but caused the speed of the ignition coils (primary and secondary).
The primary ignition coils are closer to the spark plugs.. it is reasonable to cause rapid ignition. All this function is only for emission standard, not for improve, there is the same power between single and twin sparks models. The twin sparks makes more dispersed flame so it does not leave any residue (CO) of combustion.
This also helps the economy consumptions but only at the first 20-40 k miles.. However the external (secondary) coils are preferably, these are more durable and keep stable performance for more miles. These are under tank, no water, cold away from sparks. Τhe primary coils are vulnerable and lose performance in fewer miles..
Good idea, but the implementation has problems durability at time.
This is seen in many car models, "ignition coils closer to the Sparks", these car's have many problems (VW-Audi, Skoda), much to replace the ignition coils after 60-80k miles.

Back
Top Bottom