JohnGS1100 Tuning Chip

I have a few spare chips #4, 5, 7, 8 and 9 I think have to double check first, for a single spark.

With Johns permission I would distribute free of charge.

Would you have anything to suit a 2000 1150 GS single spark, stock air filter, stubby straight-through exhaust?

Update.

Got the Motronic off of the bike. I was a bit worried getting the big connector block off of it, in the the end it came off easy.

It was quite rusty!!!!. The non tamper Torx screws were rusty, one wouldn't come off! Came undone easily with the mole grips, waste of money me buying a set of tamper proof Torx bits. Replaced them with S/S bolts.

I couldn't leave it rusty, so used some rust converter and then painted it. Along with rusty oil cooler pipe and battery box.

I found the best way of separating the halves of the Motronic was by taking it slowly, put a large bladed screwdriver as possible into the gap. Prise it gently open, leave prised open a while, and the sealant slowly pulls apart.

Removed the plastic cover from the old chip and prised the chip out. Took several attempts to fit the new chip. In the end I gently squeezed the terminals between my thumbs.

Put the cover back on, refitted the large connector block. Then sprayed the Motronic unit with Waxoyl, and various freshly painted bits.
Refitted a terminal block that I split, as it was in the way when trying to remove the Motronic.

Petrol tank back on, wheeled bike from garage onto the drive, moment of trepidation as I put the key in..........

Started instantly. Kit on and off out. 70 mile run.

I'm not a red line merchant, most noticeable difference was the new found flexibility in 6th. A few years back there was some debate on here about different 6th gear ratio. Mine seems to be less of an overdrive. Just pointing this out regarding the next statement.

Before fitting this chip, my twin spark 2003 model, would not like being ridden in 6th gear at anything under 40mph. Now it can go down to 30mph, without sounding or feeling strained. The RT100 I had used to be flexible like this. Bimbling along country lanes waseasier than before due to this newly found lower down torque.

So, I am pleased with this cheap upgrade.I'll add another update, once I've done a few miles and can comment about mpg.

Thanks to Terminator for those extra installation tips. I'll be installing my John The Greek chip in my '04 vintage non-ABS Rockster when I get to Blighty for my "summer" hols. The PDF doc that comes with the chip stresses the importance of its extreme sensitivity to static charges whilst handling, recommending that the worker wears an earthed wristband.
¿ Maybe worth investing in a cheapo Maplin jobbie so as to be sure not to stiff the chip, either the existing one or the new one ?

Help required please .., my bike is a 2000 model year single spark gs1150r with Remus, no cat, y piece fitted.

I really want to remove the airbox completely and run with ''pod'' filters. I have been told that I cannot do this as there is a (MAF)? sensor in the airbox that is used for closed loop fuelling?

Would your chip allow me to do this? Or what else do I need to consider to ditch the airbox ..?

Thanks,
Tom.

There is an inlet air temperature sensor in the center top of the air box that you will need to relocate to one of the pods, no other change needed.

Thx Roger .. so bike won't go into limp home then? I was told it was a mass air flow sensor .. something to do with the close loop system?

My chip for my 2000 R850GS arrived this morning - have fitted it already. Bike starts and idles nice and smoothly, will be taking the bike out later this afternoon for a test ride to see how it goes.

After a test-ride I can only mirror the sentiments of the other satisfied users.

- Starts and idles very smoothly.
- Much increased pull from lower down in the revs, enables a higher gear to be chosen for a given speed with same responsiveness.
- Pulls eagerly much longer through the revs - previously although the 850 would cruise happily at 70, rapid opening would result in only a gradual acceleration. Now acceleration is much more usable at these speeds.
- Need to do something more scientific to see how economy is affected, but with the increased performance the temptation is to give it more most of the time, so that may never happen!

Thanks John, another happy customer here!

Thanks too Padowan my friend.

I made corrections to all maps, no surges no holes, no adaption of ecu, correct high timing ignition timing advance, better maps for cold starting, smooth function of engine when it is hot, no lose power at mountains driving and power torque function like a carburettor but by much more better consumption.

If every friend (who has old chip) need an update chip just pm me, i will send the new perfect update stage 8 or 9 (by no cost) for happy driving :)

Thanks to UKGser forum :thumb2

I wish to express my gratitude for your support, John!
You are my hero!
The updated Stage 9 is an improvement over previous Stage 6: Excellent in cold conditions and not too rich in warm weather. Spark plugs more gray than white. All (minor) surging is gone. Uses about the same amount of fuel as before, as I measure it.
This is how this engine should have been from factory, I think.

Good afternoon John, I bought two chips from you last year for my 1100gs with lennies sprockets. I've also have a 2001 R850r classic - standard bike with no Cat could you send me a chip for that please.

PS the GS is going amazingly well, I never tried the standard chip which I also bought but with the chip for the sprockets and the lennies cam sprockets its so much more responsive at the top end than it was with just the sprockets.

Good afternoon John, I bought two chips from you last year for my 1100gs with lennies sprockets. I've also have a 2001 R850r classic - standard bike with no Cat could you send me a chip for that please.

PS the GS is going amazingly well, I never tried the standard chip which I also bought but with the chip for the sprockets and the lennies cam sprockets its so much more responsive at the top end than it was with just the sprockets.

John i just send the chip fro R850R.

Tell us more about please what about special chip for lennies sprockets. Works fine ? WHere (rpms) is the max torque and what about power after 6.500 rpms ? I know that lennies sprockets by the stock chip gives only more torque at middle rpms and poor power at the top end.

Morning John, in answer to your questions. Firstly the bike with just the sprockets and standard chip.

The bike is much smoother at low revs and the tourqe is defininitely stronger lower in the rev range - this makes for easy riding and I would say up to 85 ish mph the bike performance is stronger than the standard bike however and I only noticed this in france a couple of years ago when we were making time up on the motorways after 85mph the bike felt like it was being held back it would pick up speed to say 100mph but fairly slowly also the fuel consumption was the worst I've ever experienced on any 1100 - Ive had 3.

With the chip designed to work with the sprockets, the bike feels even stronger at low revs and still remains smooth easily pulling 5th gear at 25-30mph without problems. As the engine speed picks up the bike simply feels as if it has more power everywhere and seems to pick up speed quicker, it is also much more responsive at higher revs where it pulls really strongly to way past 100mph. My pal has an r1100s he frequently comments that my bike appears to pick up speed noticibly quicker than his does in most normal riding conditions.

Thanks John.

I was send and 2 chips for your R850R. Sorry i can not untestadn what mods you made on this bike. we don know what will work.

Let us know please you have a r850R 2001 year model and you fit a R850R engine from 1996-2000 ?

Did you change the motronic from 2.4 to 2.2 ?
I think that you have the motronic 2.4 (2001-2002) single spark R850R and you was fit an old engine from R850R 1996-2000 ?

Am i rigth ?

Any way when you recieve the chip try firstly the NEW for 2001 model, i wrote on the stickers OLD and NEW so you will found the coreect chip and the solution.

You wll receive on this next week.

Let us know about results please. It is an important project for me.

The R850 engine it is my lovely and best boxer BMW engine.
Expecially the old R850 by the new motronic 2.4. That was my best mods on BMW bixers biies, best consumption by the best power and final speed.

Thanks too Padowan my friend.

I made corrections to all maps, no surges no holes, no adaption of ecu, correct high timing ignition timing advance, better maps for cold starting, smooth function of engine when it is hot, no lose power at mountains driving and power torque function like a carburettor but by much more better consumption.

If every friend (who has old chip) need an update chip just pm me, i will send the new perfect update stage 8 or 9 (by no cost) for happy driving :)

Thanks to UKGser forum :thumb2
Cool. Will this work on my 96 R850R with no lambda sensor?

Sent from my GT-I9060I using Tapatalk

John will this work better than the stage 5 you sent to me 2 years ago?

Cool. Will this work on my 96 R850R with no lambda sensor?

John will this work better than the stage 5 you sent to me 2 years ago?

Yes will work on R850R like a racing bike exspasially at the top end.
Yes the stage 9 it is the last update chip. Send me a pm please and i will send you.

Many thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom