Versys 1000

Big Den

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well my Z1000SX tourer has been weighed in against a Tiger Explorer and while I am waiting for the bling to be fitted they gave me a versys 1000 to use.
It is not perfect (feck me I haven't found a bike that is) but it is far from the lemon portrayed by the media (who effectively killed the sales)
It has serious stomp from low to mid range but not the top end hit of the Zed, this is probably due to potential stability issues when loaded up but it aint slow by a long stretch.
Very comfy with a great riding position, the tyres are shot on this one @ 5500 mls but still legal even so it handles great considering , I've had bikes with new'ish tyres which track like a bitch.
Got enough info on the dash but they still haven't fitted a gear indicator which with this lump is essential as hunting for 7th gear gets tedious and as with the 2014 SX they have fitted an economy indicator :nenau, brakes good, suspension is ok but needs setting up especially the front which look like BPF's.
Now the consensus is this bike has no character, what the feck is character :nenau vibration ? possible breakdowns ? harsh suspension ? violent power deliver ? yes if I was after a naked or sports bike then I would want a violent bastard cos that what I like in those sort of bikes when you are in that mood but a tall tourer/distance commuter ? no fek off I want smooth as silk linear power with good suspenders and agile chassis, I don't want engineered in character, 280 deg crank bollocks or anything else (if it aint a twin it aint a feckin twin :mad:) the last thing I want is vibration, rattles , chugging EFi.
Basically if you want a smooth capable tall tourer at a bargain price (v strom excepted) the Versys is it.

Looking forward to the 2nd part of your advert already :D:D

I did a ride with the Versys forum crowd a few weeks back, 38 of us all round Wales for two days. Mostly 650's ( I have one in the garage but was riding the R1200GS ), but there were a couple of German visitors on V1000's, one with aftermarket suspension. They were not as nimble as the 650 on the back roads, but boy can they fly on the more open stuff. Great motor and handle very well -and like my 6 year old 650, virtually fault free. The 650 got off to a slow start but now has a good following, and I think the 1000 is going the same way, slowly building a reputation based on reliability and performance.

Looking forward to the 2nd part of your advert already :D:D

:D Don't normally do bike write-ups as it is all subjective :comfort, think I may start a threat on "character" though cos when I pulled up on the V1000 at my local dealer he and a mate both said "oh what yer doing they are shite" to which I said you two peckerheads should know better at your age, have either of you ridden one ? the media is a powerful thing :augie

try everything twice just to be sure you don't like it :D

I loved my 650 - one of the best bikes I've owned in terms of it just being fun to ride. Did a euro tour on it and it was faultless. The finish was a bit poor, and you could tell it was built to a budget but there was something about it that just really worked on UK roads.

Only changed because I started doing a lot more 2-up riding with camping gear, and the engine and suspension weren't really built for that.

Just got back from my little solo jaunt from Swansea to Harwich on my Kawasaki Versys 1000. I went across Holland and Germany to Magdeburg, then up through Poland to Goleniow before getting onto another ferry to Ystad in Sweden and riding over the Oresund Bridge into Denmark before going back to Tonning in Germany and Groningen inHolland and home.

2025 miles, 5 countries, 51.1mpg and perfect comfort and stability on it's Michelin PR4s and it never missed a beat!

Yes, the Big Versys is a cracking touring tool with an absolute monster of a motor, flawless fueling and power delivery. Yes, it feels like it might need a higher top gear, lots of people are changing the standard 15T sprocket to a 16T one or coming down 3 teeth on the rear sprocket, but although I still find myself having a stab at finding 7th gear, it has amazing top gear roll-on and over taking ability. It actually has " character" whatever that may be. The suspension does require setting up and responds well to correct adjustments, (yes, it does have BPF), it has 3 box luggage, Kawasaki branded GIVI monolock kit, a comfortable seat for one or two persons, decent economy and yes, that great motor.

Take a test ride on the most under rated adventure style bike on the market and let us know what you think.

I rode one and it was spot on, you cannot go wrong with a kawasaki. My wife recently got a 300 Ninja special edition ABS. What a great bike, i could ride it everywhere and such fun no shortage of speed.
I think 1200cc twin engine is bollocks. The WC 1200 would be a cracking bike as a flat four instead of all the balancers to smooth out a big twin. I tested a Multistrada before getting the GSA.
Crap engine with all the low speed vibes, who needs it.

Now the consensus is this bike has no character, what the feck is character :nenau

It's the unquantifiable, hard to describe yet absolutely CRITICAL aspect of a bike's appeal that the Versys lacks.

We looked at many bikes over a couple of weeks when intending to replace my Lebbenfiddy GSA...Versys, 1190ADV, Triumphs, even the Crosstourer.

When sitting there with a glass of wine thinking back over the pros and cons of the bikes that had made the shortlist on paper that would tour, scratch etc etc, the conversation was something like this:

"1200 GS?"
"Yep, nice, not as solid as the Lebbenfiddy, comfy, a definite possible,,,,a good deal on those black twin camks with toys and luggage!""
"1190 Adv or R?" "No, lovely but not comfy enough...forget them" "Doh! :("
"Honda Crosstourer?" "possible, not convinced.......It wants to be a 1200 so much and I preferred the seat on the 12"
"Triumph?" "loved the black engine with stainless bolts, Engine made me moist, but you didn't have enough room on it and we bashed feet all the time"
"Versys?" "Which one was that? I don't remember it?"

There's nothing to DISlike about the Versys, but it would never (for me) be a bike I'd get off after a long ride, walk away from and look back at, smiling.

That is a very important thing unless you're buying a commuter bike that you don't give a toss about.
My Lebbenfiddy still makes me smile when I walk away from it and look back, still tickles my scrotum and is still more than capable of putting a huge grin on my face and a feeling of pride when I see it amongst a herd of other bikes.

Next years Versys 1000 is going to address the asthetics in the hope of raising sales figures.

My 650 Versys was a cracking bike, but don't think I would be inclined to go back to an IL4 engined bike again. Too smooth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,486
Next years Versys 1000 is going to address the asthetics in the hope of raising sales figures.

My 650 Versys was a cracking bike, but don't think I would be inclined to go back to an IL4 engined bike again. Too smooth.

That is the biggest problem,it is one ugly bike.

That is the biggest problem,it is one ugly bike.

Now this is a comment I never expected on a GS website! lol

No, the Versys 1000 will never win any beauty competitions, but then neither would any adventure styled bike. I have had an R1150GS way back before Ewan and Charlie discovered them and I said I would never sell it, but my head was turned by a Buell Ulysses, another bike I was never going to sell.
My point is, the GS was a great bike, comfy and capable, but with a crap powder coat finish. The Buell had an amazing motor, great finish and superb handling, the Versys 1000 has all of these qualities, (will let you know about the finish), but it's a cracking bike.
I am really not sure how anyone could ride a Versys 1000 and not be blown away by the motor, it was the stand-out feature for me.
Anyway, bikes are an emotive subject, one man's meat and all that.......! But handsome is as handsome does in this case.

It's the unquantifiable, hard to describe yet absolutely CRITICAL aspect of a bike's appeal that the Versys lacks.

We looked at many bikes over a couple of weeks when intending to replace my Lebbenfiddy GSA...Versys, 1190ADV, Triumphs, even the Crosstourer.

When sitting there with a glass of wine thinking back over the pros and cons of the bikes that had made the shortlist on paper that would tour, scratch etc etc, the conversation was something like this:

"1200 GS?"
"Yep, nice, not as solid as the Lebbenfiddy, comfy, a definite possible,,,,a good deal on those black twin camks with toys and luggage!""
"1190 Adv or R?" "No, lovely but not comfy enough...forget them" "Doh! :("
"Honda Crosstourer?" "possible, not convinced.......It wants to be a 1200 so much and I preferred the seat on the 12"
"Triumph?" "loved the black engine with stainless bolts, Engine made me moist, but you didn't have enough room on it and we bashed feet all the time"
"Versys?" "Which one was that? I don't remember it?"

There's nothing to DISlike about the Versys, but it would never (for me) be a bike I'd get off after a long ride, walk away from and look back at, smiling.

That is a very important thing unless you're buying a commuter bike that you don't give a toss about.
My Lebbenfiddy still makes me smile when I walk away from it and look back, still tickles my scrotum and is still more than capable of putting a huge grin on my face and a feeling of pride when I see it amongst a herd of other bikes.

I agree with all of that but after nearly 3 weeks on one waiting for the EXP to arrive I was getting concerned the EXP would not be as much fun as the Versys, luckily it is a better overall package and is 90% as much fun but the kwak was like a giant supermoto, if they fix the silly bits like no centre stand in 2015 it should sell

You can certainly get a lot of bike for the money with a Versys.

When you have to fork out £15k+ for a new GS/GSA/KTM etc with all the toys,it makes something like this virtually new bike seem like a bargain.I actually like the colour too !!!
Never ridden one,mind !!

Had a go on the new Versys 1000 the other day. Very nice bit of kit. Mega comfy and a lovely smooth motor.

I can see me getting one in the next few years.

After big Dens write up and PMs re the Versys 1000 I traded my 4 week old Z1000SXabs for one on Friday I got the new version that actually don't look too bad not like the Fugly first incarnation, got it with the hand guards gear indicator, and it comes now std with the all important cntr stand and ABS
ive not ridden one yet but it will be delivered Thursday so hoping it will be OK
Kawasaki seem to have trouble with there accessories dept as I ordered the GT version only to be told they could not give me a delivery date as they didn't have the panniers topbox engine guards of or spot lights in stock, so I got what they had and will either wait for the Genuine stuff to become available or go with aftermarket stuff, the Z1000SX even with bar risers was just not comfi enough for me and the Mrs but jesus did it go well only did 300 miles on it but they were good

I have had them all now im hoping a inline 4 in that style of bike will tick some more of the boxes im looking for only time will tell it could be back up for sale come Friday !!

I got my Versys in February, knocked out 10,000 miles on it since then. Bought it to replace my Varadero because I got sick of replacing a particular exhaust gasket in the hardest area to reach every 12,000 miles.

I went for the base model as I had not been happy with the Honda panniers on the Varadero and wanted to go back to plain Givi type. I did ask for the hand guards though, boy do they make a difference in the winter, as I found after finally getting them fitted after 4 weeks of February riding!

the big V does sound like a mile muncher from what ive seen and read so hopefully it will be ok, only time will tell its being delivered Thursday so ill know soon enough !!

Well the bike arrived on the 24th and all I can say is wow what a super smooth quick comfi and decent handling bike set to work straight away with the farkles that had been delivered whilst waiting
1000 miles in and it just gets better
cruises at silly speed silky smooth and handles a treat,
Heres a pic of it

Attachments

• 20150802_075543SMALL.jpg
    20150802_075543SMALL.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 686

Back
Top Bottom