Plan X succeeded

Tiffany

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Plan X

To rebuild the exploded battery in Nouakchott as I had discovered that actually there are NO 12 volt batteries in the country.

Loo and Gary (honourary GSers even though they ride Hondas) had arrived in Nouakchott with a tube of weld stuff and so the operation was undertaken.

I set off with some trepidation - 450 kms to cover to reach tarmac and the relative sanity of Morocco - with a dodgy battery and no suspension.

Yes - it was leaking, and so I have applied a sanitary towel to the battery (a wing-less slimline one for the tech heads amongst you).
It seems to be slowing the acid leakage,Tobi has taken to rolling his eyes whenever I say I have got an idea:rolleyes:

So, we crossed the last of the sand and entered back into Morocco.

From then on it has been Ethel to the rescue as first Tobi ran out of fuel and then got a puncture.

The major event of the last 2 days is that he has now lost his gearbox - it is kaput and happened on the desert highway - we then had an epic of a day (too long to go into here) involving a refrigerated lorry, the police and a team of Jâpanese pêople in a minivan.

The upshot is that I ended up TOWING Tobi on his R100GS (Paris Dakar version) for 125 kms - it wasn't much fun as I had my nearly bald desert tyre on the rear and NO suspension, naturally the desert winds were blowing as well.
Ethel coped well and we got to Laayoune.

We are now checking out his options...

Tiff
You have just put my 'problem' day into perspective.....................
:D

Ride safe!

:clap

ralphy

Amazing stuff!

We've never met but I'm well impressed just reading your various travel diaries.

Apparently, Ewan and Charlie are planning to 'do' Africa this year. I think you need to be in touch to suggest a couple of things they should add to their spares kit.

Certainly, ladies lingerie and a packs of Always Ultra wouldn't have been the first thing into MY toolkit if I was ever contemplating crossing the Sahara! Which, of course, I'm not...

...so I think you can remove the 'Trying to be a...' prefix from your profile now, don't you? I doubt the UKGSer jury would take long to declare that you certainly are ALL biker :). Oh, and quite mad as well...

So that's.............

just another 'walk-in-the-park' day for you then? !!!!
Keep it sunny side up!
:p

Back
Top Bottom