Sweden Loop

Tamingdoom

Reaction score
I'm planning a Germany, Denmark, Sweden,(Stockholm-ish) Denmark, Holland loop. June 2015
Since everyone seems to go to Noway, Sweden does't seem too popular.
Has anyone a positive experience of Sweden, if not I'll go somewhere else.
Is speed/enforcement as bad as they say ?
T

I've just done a 5000 mile trip to the nordkapp via Denmark Sweden Finland and Norway . The first 2 countries are very boring unless you've some thing specifically to see . Norway is amazing with fantastic smooth roads and lots and lots of bends . Expensive but worth it . Oh and the scenery is not too bad either.

Regards speeding I saw one speed trap in a village but that's all .

Will let you know end of august as off to Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Germany, Belgium and France next weekend

My experience of Denmark to Stockholm and back....

The big bridge is amazing and it is kewl to cut off the Baltic sea.

Southern Sweden is very flat. Pretty; but flat. That means you do not get decent views (rather like Botswana, he said pretentiously!) but you see lake, rock, trees+++ and repeat.

Civic wise it seems very sorted - each village is clean and has an obvious pride. There was less differential between rich and poor.

Everyone spoke English and was polite and interesting.

I liked Sweden.

The speed limit on the motorway is 110kph and I was caught at 129kph - cost me about £130!

......................Southern Sweden is very flat. Pretty; but flat. That means you do not get decent views (rather like Botswana, he said pretentiously!) but you see lake, rock, trees+++ and repeat..............

Ahhh........ maybe that's why the Google maps shows a lot of lakes.
T

The big bridge is amazing and it is kewl to cut off the Baltic sea.

Southern Sweden is very flat. Pretty; but flat. That means you do not get decent views (rather like Botswana, he said pretentiously!) but you see lake, rock, trees+++ and repeat.

Civic wise it seems very sorted - each village is clean and has an obvious pride. There was less differential between rich and poor.

Everyone spoke English and was polite and interesting.

I liked Sweden.

The speed limit on the motorway is 110kph and I was caught at 129kph - cost me about £130!

How did they get you ? Hand held radar gun ?

I loved Sweden. Like someone said, the south is very flat but there are some pretty lakes.
People are very friendly and most can speak English. It's a huge country with not that many people so there's a huge feeling of space and being away from it all. I've never had a problem with speed restrictions but have heard of people getting caught out.
Also, look out for moose, Swedish drivers have part of their driving lesson dedicated to learning what to do when one suddenly appears out of the trees...;)

I loved Sweden. Like someone said, the south is very flat but there are some pretty lakes.
People are very friendly and most can speak English. It's a huge country with not that many people so there's a huge feeling of space and being away from it all. I've never had a problem with speed restrictions but have heard of people getting caught out.
Also, look out for moose, Swedish drivers have part of their driving lesson dedicated to learning what to do when one suddenly appears out of the trees...;)

Slam on brakes?:D

Used sweden as a fast route to Nordkapp. Didn't touch Stockholm as not on route. As a country seemed clean and people very friendly. Mostly saw forrestry but some nice bridges and towns pleasant. Accomodation was reasonable and thought the crossing of the artic circle line more tasteful. Was lucky didn't see any cops which was as well as travelling at a brisk pace. Moose on the loose and they don't care so be wary.

How did they get you ? Hand held radar gun ?

No, police biker stopped me.

Would have seen him, but occasionally when I get on or off the 1150 I knock the left hand mirror and it flops back at speed, hence I missed him until he was alongside.

Pleasant enough chap, but £130 never the less for a speed that would be under France's limit.

(dry open quiet motorway BTW)

Sweden can be boring, yes.
But if you're not in a hurry to reach Nordkap as fast as possible, keep away from larger roads, and Hey Presto! Your trip turns much more exciting! Even in Skåne, the flat straight boredom can be exchanged into curvy undulating roads.

Pleasant enough chap, but £130 never the less for a speed that would be under France's limit.

(dry open quiet motorway BTW)

That's why we love Sweden. In Norway 129 km/h in the 110 zone is £300. Knock on wood, no performance awards since the eighties for me...

If he clocked you at 129, you probably had like 140 on your meter? As long as you ride ok, they will normally not bother you at 130/110. Maybe a quick flash with the blue light to cool you off. But if there is a speed trap, there is no pardon.

I rode up the west coast of Norway this year and it’s everything everyone says, spectacular. I then came down through Northern Sweden heading to Gothenburg for the ferry. I’ve been to the south several times to visit friends but I was so taken with the North, lakes, forests and miles of empty sweeping roads I’m very tempted to go back and do a round Sweden loop.

Back
Top Bottom