Right leg under thigh getting cooked

Bringing up this old thread as i've been really feeling this heat on my R1200GS 2013 LC on these hot days - especially at Motorway/Dual carriageway speeds.

I have a Mudsling, which i have read can change the airflow causing it to cook the right leg. I have installed a Wunderlich/Puig heat deflector which helps somewhat to deflect but you still feel the build up of heat on the inside. I have recently got a high temperature exhaust blanket to go around the top half/right hand side of the catalytic converter to try and reflect the heat back/stop it radiating out and upwards so much. Not yet tested it but hoping to do so this week/weekend to see how it fairs in reducing the heat output.

It is this, if anyone is interested

After a ride in the heat, i can report the heat wrap works to keep the majority of the heat off the right leg. At times there is still an updraft of heat you can feel on the lower thigh, but no where near as bad as it was before.

After a ride in the heat, i can report the heat wrap works to keep the majority of the heat off the right leg. At times there is still an updraft of heat you can feel on the lower thigh, but no where near as bad as it was before.

Further development with this.

i removed the mudsling to see if this helped, and it sort of did. But was still not a huge difference.

The first heat shield/wrap i put on went round the right hand side which helped to reduce the immediate heat to teh right foot/leg. However this still left half the top exposed, and heat was now getting reflected to the left foot too. To help solve this i installed another heat shield/wrap to cover the left hand side and remainder of the top.
After some riding this weekend in the hot weather and all sorts of riding (Motorway, Dual carriage way, round town etc) it feels a lot better. I'm still aware of the heat, but it's no where near how bad it was.

I've not got side panniers but have a mudsling. Can't see that making a huge difference other than a small amount of air not being pushed forward from the rotation of the tyre.

Odd that it's at higher speeds. I understand the more fuel your shoving through the engine the hotter the cat will get but we all know the wind blast from sticking ya arm out as it nearly get ripped off. I'm guessing that the shape of the GSA front end causes a pocket of almost still air causing the heat to radiate to your thigh, calf and foot on right side.

Jon

I also use Mudsling and I noticed that the temperature is higher next to the right foot. I did the experiment with and without Mudsling and now I only use this one in winter where the temperature can even be well received. With the arrival of summer, I remove the Mudsling and the temperature on the right foot starts to be acceptable, although always hot.

I have a roll of heat wrap in my garage, thanks for the tip.

I may fit some to my GSA exhaust under my right foot area by the flappy valve to keep radiated heat down.

Back
Top Bottom