Right leg under thigh getting cooked

Don't forget the main radiator and fan are on the right hand side this will make the right side feel slightly hotter when going slowly!!

Just spent a few hours on a GSA in temps up to 29, with no heat up issues (other than the sun :p). Bike had an Akra and no mudsling. Then rode my bike with full Akra and mudsling, still no issue.:nenau I'm disappointed!:D

Let us know how you get on :thumb2 I know some have mentioned an electronic control box under seat that gets hot but I've not noticed this.

I'm going to look Into carbon fibre heat shields to see if anything could be adapted to clamp on the cat to prevent heat rising up as much.

Plenty about for turbos etc just a matter of measuring up and seeing if anything might fit :thumb2

Jon

I was out Saturday where temp hit 31C - no heat on my arse cheek ...and no mudsling fitted.
Rode through slow London rush hour yesterday and the fan came on many times ....no cooked arse.

I am going to refit the mudsling soon and will see if I notice a difference

Have a go on an 1190 KTM and it'll make any heat you're noticing feel totally irrelevant :D

Andres

Funny you say that, I was on my mates new 990SMT today, and the heat was significant.:eek: Cracking bike though.:thumb

As my leg has also had a roasting, I wondered if anyone reached a conclusion over the cause & more importantly a solution.

No solution yet, I'm using the bike over the weekend to commute into London so will see how it is now it's a bit cooler.

I was thinking of a carbon fibre heat shield but was going to see if a cars turbo guard could be fitted somehow as you get them off the shelf so to speak.

As my leg has also had a roasting, I wondered if anyone reached a conclusion over the cause & more importantly a solution.

Some possible conclusions;
liquid cooled engines run hotter than air cooled engines.........?
the right hand side is the hotter due to coolant pump location and direction of coolant flow.........?
when moving the air flow through the right side radiators exhausts in the direction of the riders leg...........?
the right hand cylinder is closer to the riders leg due to the engine layout (that one is true but whether that's the cause or not-I doubt it) :nenau

The solution?
wear vented riding trousers.....I do, it helps a little,
maybe some sort of ducting or venturi in the right side radiator aperture to direct the heat away might work, again :nenau
Of the possible solution discussions I've read I'm fairly convinced it's not exhaust or cat convertor related and I'm fairly sure wrapping your headers (hipster style) in exhaust wrap will have little effect.
I am aware of the heat when riding but haven't, as yet, considered it to be a huge problem.

Much above 30c I feel a little heat at my right ankle and right thigh coming from the catalyst. Heat from the cylinders I find no different than an oilhead. I get none from the radiators as the GSA rads are out to the sides pretty far.
I purchased a rear Mid Sling at the BMWMOA rally in Minnesota and wondered if and how it would affect airflow and consequently felt heat. Well I can say it definitely makes it much worse. Riding back home in temps never exceeding 28c the heat at my ankle and thigh was very noticeable. First thing I did when I got home was remove it. I've always used MudSling type protectors on previous R1200GS's but save your money I would not recommend buying one for the Waterhead GS.

Back
Top Bottom