Right leg under thigh getting cooked

OK & thanks

It doesn't have to be a very hot day to notice the heat coming up

I've had Mudsling fitted since day after getting bike in May 2014

I think I'll take it off to make comparison

..I think I'll take it off to make comparison

I think you'll find much less heat with it off. And it only takes 4 zip ties if you want it back on for cool weather.

On the standard GS, the mudsling theory is just that, as I took my bike to Italy this year, in temperatures over 30 degrees, with the mudsling fitted, and had no issues with heat. A few on the Adv forum reckon the heat is much worse at higher altitudes.:nenau

No r.h.s thigh cooking on my standard 2013 GS LC whatsoever on my French trip - much cooler than my twin-cam under the same conditions - must be something to do with the mods that people make to their bikes?????????.

Months of nervous and vexatious waiting for the Mudsling and now it (apparently) cooks bods' legs.

Roll on winter.

I fitted the mudsling purely to protect the swing arm which is in the firing line for stone chips and the inevitable corrosion that will follow.

I fail to see how a little bit of plastic can affect the heat generated from what I believe the cause, the cat converter. The tank on the GSA deflects radiator heat well beyond your right knee. I've made no other changes to a standard GSA.

Slightly better today but once in London temp hit 25 degrees. And I'm wearing the summer3 trousers.

Jon

I fail to see how a little bit of plastic can affect the heat generated from what I believe the cause, the cat converter.

Jon

My guess is the Mudsling reduces some of the wind turbulence which carries the cat's heat away. It was quite apparent when I rode 3 days w/o Mudsling to the rally. Had it fitted there then rode 3 days back. Temps both ways were about as perfect as I could ask for 21c morning to 30c peak afternoon. I wasn't in a riding suite just jeans and jacket. On the way there I didn't notice any heat at all. On the return I wouldn't call it uncomfortable but was quite noticeable, had it been much warmer I would have removed it then. As it was I left it on. Back home I went out for a 40 mile ride to a friends home and the heat was there. Before riding back I removed the Mudsling and no heat for the ride back on the same road.
The only time I noticed heat coming off the cat w/o the Mudsling was riding 80+ mph when it was 33-34c. I imagine it would have been quite uncomfortable with the Mudsling on.

Interesting, I've not removed mudsling as the heat in 33 degrees was uncomfortable but not a deal breaker by any means.

Less heat yesterday on way in to work and coming home this morning it was 15 degrees and no heat whatsoever.

I can live with it for the few weeks of hot weather we get every year :D

Jon :beerjug:

Just been on mine for the afternoon, and I noticed a bit of heat on my right leg. It was nothing uncomfortable, and it might have even been the sun, but I'm glad I'm getting rid of the bike now!:D:beerjug:

Just been on mine for the afternoon, and I noticed a bit of heat on my right leg. It was nothing uncomfortable, and it might have even been the sun, but I'm glad I'm getting rid of the bike now!:D:beerjug:

And it's replacement is completely different? ;)

Found the solution!

Following the suggestion from the Italian BMW forum, I made a rudimentary piece of metal with the end bended and attached it under the lower engine protection, and it works perfectly! The problem of overheating the right leg has now disappeared. Waiting for an official solution from BMW, I am happy with my home made trick.

idBHTCi3j

https://imageshack.com/i/idBHTCi3j

If it works then great, perhaps the guy is an expert in fluid dynamics - either that or it was a lucky guess :)

I would say both. The idea was to "extract" the hot airstream from the bottom, it was a lucky guess because it worked! Anyway, happy end. The solution is extremely simple, cheap and unobtrusive.

I would say both. The idea was to "extract" the hot airstream from the bottom, it was a lucky guess because it worked! Anyway, happy end. The solution is extremely simple, cheap and unobtrusive.

Respect :clap

Following the suggestion from the Italian BMW forum, I made a rudimentary piece of metal with the end bended and attached it under the lower engine protection, and it works perfectly! The problem of overheating the right leg has now disappeared. Waiting for an official solution from BMW, I am happy with my home made trick.

idBHTCi3j

Congratulations you have reduced the ground clearance considerably.

Not that its an issue for your average Tesco rider.

My local Tesco has a speed bump hence why I'm holding off on this :blast

I need to go and take some measurements to make sure my off-roading prowess will enable me to clear said hump without dire outcomes :eek: :thumb

Don't have Tesco in my area, so I can't comment on the bumpiness to reach it :D

Worst thing that can happen when I do serious off road with the Adventure, and occasionally I do as I have been a competitive dirt rider over the last 40 years, is to dent the thing that I have attached to the bottom engine protector. Not a big deal.

Waiting for a more professional solution from the BMW Motorrad Engineering Team, I am more than happy with my home-made solution.

idBHTCi3j

Can you put picture again,please?

Back
Top Bottom