Right leg under thigh getting cooked

I've noticed it as well seems hotter at high speeds not in town . I'm guessing an akro will solve it as had the same on a KTM 950sm . Does anyone with a non GSA wc have the same problem?
I have had no issues with my 2017 Exclusive even when it was 30°C, in traffic or on the autobahn.

I've done two trips on my GS (not GSA) in very hot weather, and not noticed excessive engine heat impacting upon any part of my person. The worst I had was hot calves from the sun hitting my black jeans!

is the heat associated with only 2017 models?

I also have experienced heat on right leg on my 2017 GSA TB euro 4
It is fitted with mud sling front and rear and an Akra

However the exact same set up was on my 2016 GSA and no heat issues!!

So on riding the same routes year on year the only difference is the bike?

Is anyone aware of changes between the model years that would impact airflow to this extent?

Interestingly as mentioned previously in the thread Wunderlich produce 43951 -002 - why make it if no issue or potential demand? They have confirmed that it does fit my 2017 GSA

I also have experienced heat on right leg on my 2017 GSA TB euro 4
It is fitted with mud sling front and rear and an Akra

However the exact same set up was on my 2016 GSA and no heat issues!!

So on riding the same routes year on year the only difference is the bike?

Is anyone aware of changes between the model years that would impact airflow to this extent?

Interestingly as mentioned previously in the thread Wunderlich produce 43951 -002 - why make it if no issue or potential demand? They have confirmed that it does fit my 2017 GSA

Has anyone found a solution to this yet riding my 2018 Rallye GSA home in 21c the bike was that hot on the right I honestly thought it had caught alight kept looking down all the way home my 2016 GSA never did that, I do have a Mudsling on,some one mentioned how hot the KTM 1190r gets well i have had one this was much worse spoke to Dealer yesterday who said its to do with the Fan being on the right seems strange only certain Bikes have this problem

I have noticed this on my 2018 model gsa rallye, had a 2013 lc gs and a 2015 LC GSA and never noticed a thing, but had thought I was going mad, but a definite warm feeling right upper thigh!! Not so hot as to be a problem but I wonder why ?

I have noticed this on my 2018 model gsa rallye, had a 2013 lc gs and a 2015 LC GSA and never noticed a thing, but had thought I was going mad, but a definite warm feeling right upper thigh!! Not so hot as to be a problem but I wonder why ?

More stringent emissions regs (Euro 4) meaning it runs weaker and thus hotter maybe?

Andres

My 2016 GS LC suffers as well ... or rather I do! Muddling and fender extender fitted, really could do with finding a solution before the weather gets too warm.

Anyone with a GSA (that has a Mudsling) that's having a heat issue, remove the Mudsling. You can put it back in cooler weather with a couple ZipTies.

My bike is euro 4 with fender extender, full system, mudsling and hugger. No hot leg, mind you I do have Puig infill panels

Anyone with a GSA (that has a Mudsling) that's having a heat issue, remove the Mudsling. You can put it back in cooler weather with a couple ZipTies.

Thats the next step its an easy change,the thing is it wasn't just warm it was really hot,

My right thigh feel significant more heat when fitted with mudsling, the higher the speed the hotter it is
My bike is a R1200GS LC 2016, stock exhaust with vario panniers
Removed the mudsling after 2 days....

I had the same problem with 17 plate TE bought in March 2017, got hotter as time went on , and by April time it was so hot that it felt like the sole of my right boot would melt , sent it back to the Dealer for investigation , they said it might be the fan ( but it wasn't) and sent it back , no fault found ? After two weeks I was still being roaster alive ,so back it went this time the Cat had got so hot that it had turned Blue with the heat. Dealer swapped the front pipes + cat from their demo and also removed my Mudsling to let some more air circulate I guess, whilst it was a little bit better you still couldn't wear summer pants or summer boots as the heat was still uncomfortable. After talking to the Dealer who was in contact with BMW UK & Germany ,it transpires that this issue is known( not so much in the UK I'm told), and not all bikes are affected and surprisingly my mates GS TE ( month later build date has no issues), so after another 4 weeks had passed I was informed that because BMW couldn't fix the bike ,my bike would be swapped for a New GS TE same spec as before with no cost implications, collected said bike in late October 17 and have had no heat issues whatever , still don't know what was the cause of the fault , but fair play to the Dealer & BMW they came good. just to say the original bike was completely standard with no tuning/mods etc.,

I ride a lot in the heat, but never had a problem on my 2015 GS with stock exhaust, and no mudsling. I ride in Kevlar mesh trousers all year round.

It’s the awesomeness of the stead making you all wee in your pants.

Picked my new GS TE yesterday and it was to fuckin cold (8deg) to notice any warm thigh.

On my 2nd GS since 2015 not noticed anything hot except my good lady on the back!

Interesting read through this thread. I ended up selling my 14 plate GSA back to dealer as had many issues inc a new engine.

I’ve recently bought a 16 plate GSA with Akro silencer and so far no heat issues. I wear the summer 3 pants all year and layer up and down.

Fingers crossed this one won’t get as hot. I have just fitted a mudsling so if on the next ride I get a hot right thigh I’ll be removing it until winter.

Jon :beerjug:

Has anyone found a solution to this yet riding my 2018 Rallye GSA home in 21c the bike was that hot on the right I honestly thought it had caught alight kept looking down all the way home my 2016 GSA never did that, I do have a Mudsling on,some one mentioned how hot the KTM 1190r gets well i have had one this was much worse spoke to Dealer yesterday who said its to do with the Fan being on the right seems strange only certain Bikes have this problem

The only solution is to put a cold pastie down your trouser leg thus keeping your thigh cool and warming a tasty snack at the same time:D

I also have this problem with my 2018 GSA. At warm days at motoway speeds it can be quite discomforting. I noticed that the ESA control unit and oil pump/reservoir and the part of the rear frame become hot as well. The part of the exhaust where the catalyzer is has become deep blue from the heat.
WLC5coV.jpg

My dealer wants a read out of the bikes log and check if the exhaust flap is still working properly, in order to see if there is a reason for the blue coloring ...

Back
Top Bottom