Right leg under thigh getting cooked

I'm happy for @sdcastle finally got the heat issue resolved.
However it leaves a bitter taste when we read that another member with similar issue that went to a different dealer got a header with cat as well as some other parts from BMW.

My experience with BMW is that they rely heavy on the dealer, so if you go to a useless dealer all shit will happen, and vice versa if the dealer do understand the problem and present it accordingly, BMW might be very helpful.

Anyway, my last comment on all of this is the Black Widow decat headers were ordered on Tuesday morning, they arrived on Wednesday morning, fitted within 2 hours and on Thursday I had a 317 mile blast around Elan Valley with WelshDave of this parish. No heat issues, not even slightly warm rear foot rest or frame. Cost me £300 but at least I can get out and about again......... Sounds nice too now :beerjug:
Does this eliminate the exhaust flap?

No I think that because the exhaust runs up the right hand side of the bike out of the CAT that's where you feel the heat. There is the swingarm on the LH which probably absorbs/deflects the heat.

Not sure if it is just the warmer weather but I think the problem might be back.... will borrow the thermal imaging camera from work and see if both sides are running the same temperature.

I bought a small metal cover from Belgium that bolts into the right rider footpeg and covers that area. Out on Saturday in 28 degree temp with mesh kit - no more heat issue :thumb

Heat deflector might be good, but where will the heat be deflected to, might heat up the rear shock, or the rear brake master cylinder.........................:rob

Heat deflector might be good, but where will the heat be deflected to, might heat up the rear shock, or the rear brake master cylinder.........................:rob

Apparently to "underneath the silencer" ....

Correct me if I am totally wrong, but I thought heat only went up.....................:nenau:nenau

Unless there is something to stop it? I assume the deflector reroutes the flow of hot air. But let's not tie ourselves in knots here - I will report back once I've actually fitted and tried the thing. :)

Unless there is something to stop it? I assume the deflector reroutes the flow of hot air. But let's not tie ourselves in knots here - I will report back once I've actually fitted and tried the thing. :)

:D yep will be very interesting, because if it does the job and does not affect other areas, I might just grab one for the hot summer days, winter heat is a bonus.........

The nature of the shield is that it covers behind the rider footpeg and over and above the flap. As far as I can tell the heat is routed backward toward the end can. I wouldn’t worry about the rear master cylinder - the heat radiating off the exhaust without the cover creates more heat in this area. It fits OK with a Mudsling but possibly not together with infill panels.

Worked for me. it will fit with infill panels.

The nature of the shield is that it covers behind the rider footpeg and over and above the flap. As far as I can tell the heat is routed backward toward the end can. I wouldn’t worry about the rear master cylinder - the heat radiating off the exhaust without the cover creates more heat in this area. It fits OK with a Mudsling but possibly not together with infill panels.

Cheers for that just ordered one, worth a punt for comfort................:beerjug:

I can now report that the GS Emotion heat deflector works for me. I’ve ridden from Aberdeen to Snowdonia with it plus Mudsling and panniers and not experienced any thigh cooking. :thumb2

I can now report that the GS Emotion heat deflector works for me. I’ve ridden from Aberdeen to Snowdonia with it plus Mudsling and panniers and not experienced any thigh cooking. :thumb2

Watching this space when the heatwave kicks in..................;)

I’ve bought one as well and it seems to make no difference. Still getting an uncomfortably warm inside right leg....

Back
Top Bottom