Right leg under thigh getting cooked

I've just gone from a 2015 GSA LC to a new TB GSA LC and wow the difference in heat on the right leg is massive. Never, ever had an issue on the old one but this new one takes some getting used to. That said everything else is wonderous.... TFT, better quick shift, smoother engagement of first gear and so on.

Heck I thought it was bad on my 2014, the fact it's even worse on the newer ones will keep me from buying one unless BMW finds a way to cure the problem.

Heat was not an issue until over 85 degrees and definitely related to how hard the engine is working. I guess the more exhaust that goes through the catalytic converter the hotter it gets.

Done Switzerland and italy this Friday and Saturday, 11 passes, 500 kms first day, 390 kms 2nd day weather sometimes 35 celcius sometimes 17 celsius, then a 210 km ride home average temperature 29 celcius, no heat on the right thigh at all, maybe the street guard trousers helping.............

Done Switzerland and italy this Friday and Saturday, 11 passes, 500 kms first day, 390 kms 2nd day weather sometimes 35 celcius sometimes 17 celsius, then a 210 km ride home average temperature 29 celcius, no heat on the right thigh at all, maybe the street guard trousers helping.............

Out of interest, how old is your bike ? This heat thing is definitely an issue - on some bikes. I’ve just completed 3700 mile Europe trip in very hot temperatures. My right boot and leg were extremely hot and unbearable most of the time. Especially bad on motorways. FWIW my bike is a tb GSA and was brand new October 2017 Bike before this was a 2016 tb GSA and never suffered from this problem and the 2015 tb Gs was also fine. This recent trip I was accompanied by my son on his 2015 GSA and his bike was fine the whole time. So it seems like an issue with bikes less than 12 months old and Euro 4 bikes.

Out of interest, how old is your bike ? This heat thing is definitely an issue - on some bikes. I’ve just completed 3700 mile Europe trip in very hot temperatures. My right boot and leg were extremely hot and unbearable most of the time. Especially bad on motorways. FWIW my bike is a tb GSA and was brand new October 2017 Bike before this was a 2016 tb GSA and never suffered from this problem and the 2015 tb Gs was also fine. This recent trip I was accompanied by my son on his 2015 GSA and his bike was fine the whole time. So it seems like an issue with bikes less than 12 months old and Euro 4 bikes.

Hi mate my bike is a May 2017 Euro 4 Exclusive

Last month you say?

Interesting??

I wonder why that may be???

Give me strength, please :D

Andres

Having just been out in the midday sun wearing black denim jeans and trainers I can confirm my right leg got very hot very quickly - even before the bike was up to temperature.

Mine's Euro 3, maybe that was the difference ;)

There is a PuMA (Produkt- und Maßnahmenmanagement Aftersales, the database for known problems and their appropriate fixes) for this issue. If your dealer is not yet aware of this problem, they can find it in the (worldwide) PuMA database.

There is a PuMA (Produkt- und Maßnahmenmanagement Aftersales, the database for known problems and their appropriate fixes) for this issue. If your dealer is not yet aware of this problem, they can find it in the (worldwide) PuMA database.

Any links that us mere mortals can access this on or a copy and paste of the deets
Ta

My bike's a late 2016 GS LC and has the problem, definitely not just the latest bikes and not related to the good weather we're having.

So has anyone actually been offered a solution to this problem. My June reg GSA Rallye has this issue and my previous 2015 didn’t get this hot even in temps of over 40c in Spain. I’m even avoiding riding it at the moment which is ridiculous. My dealer has no record of any complaints and only after my insistence and threats to go elsewhere have they agreed to “check it out”, but I must bring it in after lunch when it will have time to warm up!

Have you dealer check the PuMA database and enter your case to it. What I understood is that BMW are still collecting data and haven’t come to a solution yet. Also specify to your dealer whether you experience the heat with and/or without side cases mounted.

Last edited:
I've just fitted a pair of the frame infill panels and it has certainly made a difference to the heat around my inner thigh.

Back
Top Bottom