Right leg under thigh getting cooked

+1 I was going to say looks like exhaust flap might be sticking and releasing hence the heat, that would explain the deep blue

Bike is checked, nothing found. The flap moves freely in an angle between 10 and 87 degrees (min 10 and max 90; mine's within tolerance). No errors found in the logs. Will be reported to BMW Motorrad. To be continued...

May have been suggested , but run a de cat pipe and the heat will go , I run one.
Also the free flow exhaust will remove some of the vibes associated with the standard system as well , winner all round.

I’m running an 18 GSA and yes get the heat, but as other have said it’s a nice bit of warmth in the winter

I get a bit warm but not as much to cook the leg and mine is Euro4 2017, might be as simple as remapping needed, fuel mixture problem.

Any updates on this? I have started getting a cooked right leg in the last 2 days. Motorway ride home of 15 miles at 60mph and my thigh underneath is unbearably hot, the rear footrest hanger, frame also hot. Came back from France 2 week trip in 30-38degree heat with no issues. Only just started this week. Must be something??

I have a mudsling fitted. Was fine 2 weeks ago? Why not now.....?

Remove the Mudsling it'll make a noticeable improvement, you can reinstall it in the Fall.

Germany are aware of this problem, at least report it to your dealer to be covered, the thinking is it is the Euro 4 crap, if your bike is Euro 4

My pillion wife thinks I have heated seats - result :D

My pillion wife thinks I have heated seats - result :D

You have.
default_laughing7.gif

Any updates on this? I have started getting a cooked right leg in the last 2 days. Motorway ride home of 15 miles at 60mph and my thigh underneath is unbearably hot, the rear footrest hanger, frame also hot. Came back from France 2 week trip in 30-38degree heat with no issues. Only just started this week. Must be something??

I have a mudsling fitted. Was fine 2 weeks ago? Why not now.....?

I have exactly the same feeling. However I told by the dealer it’s absolutely normal :/

I have exactly the same feeling. However I told by the dealer it’s absolutely normal :/

How can it be "normal" not to have an issue and then have it suddenly develop in the last 2 weeks?

Remove the Mudsling it'll make a noticeable improvement, you can reinstall it in the Fall.

I have a mudsling on my Euro 4 and don't have this issue (like lots of others here I'm sure) so I don't think that's suddenly started the issue in the last 2 weeks on the OP's bike either.

Mine is hot sometimes and OK at others. Not unbearable, but wasn’t apparent on the Rallye demo I took out prior to buying it. Does feel like the Corbin heated seat I had on my Pan.

May have been suggested , but run a de cat pipe and the heat will go , I run one.
Also the free flow exhaust will remove some of the vibes associated with the standard system as well , winner all round.
I run de cat akra Ti headers and I also get a cooked right foot/lower leg recently. Haven't noticed it before, just the last month?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I run de cat akra Ti headers and I also get a cooked right foot/lower leg recently. Haven't noticed it before, just the last month?

Last month you say?

Interesting??

I wonder why that may be???

Give me strength, please :D

Andres

Last month you say?

Interesting??

I wonder why that may be???

Give me strength, please :D

Andres
I was laying on my drive the other week checking the pipework as I thought I might have cracked the header where it goes into the exhaust it was that hot. In the end I assumed it must have been that last summer too but I'd forgotten. Not sure, but my right foot is getting cooked!

It happened on my 2014 TE regardless of the weather.
But then a full Akra de-cat system was fitted and then the engine was replaced.
The problem has gone now.
So I think changing the entire engine and exhaust system is the solution and that’s what I’d recommend

Update

I read on here that some of you find it worse at motorway speeds so last night I did a little experiment. I left work at 17.30 and purposely rode in the wrong direction and sat in traffic/did a bit of filtering for 30 mins. Engine temp gauge said 92 degrees. Nothing noticeable regarding the right leg heat issue. Then I headed home on the M42 sitting at around 75mph, engine temp dropped to 82 degrees and the heat started. By the time I was home some 20 minutes later it was unbearable. Even the bottom of the seat on the right hand side was getting hot.

So today I visited local BMW dealer and explained my situation. Getting hot within 6 minutes of hitting the motorway. I took the guy outside to show him. When he touched the frame straight away he said that wasn't right (the bike had been sitting there for some 15 minutes too) He also noticed some gold/blue colouring on the exhaust where it enters the silencer which he said was odd.

Non of the techs knew what it could be or have heard anything but they have agreed that it isn't right and needs further investigation. Booked in for Aug 31st. I'll let you know!

I read on here that some of you find it worse at motorway speeds so last night I did a little experiment. I left work at 17.30 and purposely rode in the wrong direction and sat in traffic/did a bit of filtering for 30 mins. Engine temp gauge said 92 degrees. Nothing noticeable regarding the right leg heat issue. Then I headed home on the M42 sitting at around 75mph, engine temp dropped to 82 degrees and the heat started. By the time I was home some 20 minutes later it was unbearable. Even the bottom of the seat on the right hand side was getting hot.

So today I visited local BMW dealer and explained my situation. Getting hot within 6 minutes of hitting the motorway. I took the guy outside to show him. When he touched the frame straight away he said that wasn't right (the bike had been sitting there for some 15 minutes too) He also noticed some gold/blue colouring on the exhaust where it enters the silencer which he said was odd.

Non of the techs knew what it could be or have heard anything but they have agreed that it isn't right and needs further investigation. Booked in for Aug 31st. I'll let you know!

I have also noticed it more on the motorway. No issues in the past two days riding round the back roads of South Wales, as soon as I hit the A417/ M4 on the way home where I was sitting at 70ish it started heating up again.

Back
Top Bottom