Scandinavia here we come

Haggler

Reaction score
Well after more than 6 months in the planning time to head off today. Leaving from Harwich today for 4 1/2 weeks tootling about . Heading for Denmark then onto Sweden through Gothenburg, Gavle, Umea and Pajala. Then continuing up to Alta and the Nord Kapp. Hopefully this will only take a week leaving a further 2 weeks to enjoy Norway on the way down. Drop the better half at Oslo before continuing back through Gothenburg and back into Denmark via the bridge at Malmo. Then heading down into Germany and Luxemburg before heading to Gedinnes in Belgium for the Classic TT races for my final weekend before back to Calais and the train home. According to google 5300 miles in total so hopefully the GS will hold up (No reason to think otherwise). Will try to keep you all informed (bored :tumbleweed) on a regular basis with hopefully some pics if I can get to grips with the tablet. Please bear with me as this is the first time I have really planned a jaunt of this(to me anyway) magnitude so bound to be a few cock ups on the way. Think that'll do for now will report in later :thumb2

Excellent, enjoy the trip and keep us all posted :thumby:

Well after a leisurely cruise down to Harwich we boarded the over night ferry. Due to land about 1 ish where our mini adventure begins. Today should be quite steady as our destination of Hobro is only about 130 miles away. Decided to rideup the west coast before cutting inland towards Viborg. Must remember to get camera out .
More later

Eh, might bump into you, or maybe not, but if you see 6 BMW's (mines the yellow GSA) it's us. Going via Harwich on Monday then up Denmark, Norway into the Arctic Circle and back down again before a bit of Sweden and Denmark again - 3 weeks of riding.
:)

Well after more than 6 months in the planning time to head off today. Leaving from Harwich today for 4 1/2 weeks tootling about . Heading for Denmark then onto Sweden through Gothenburg, Gavle, Umea and Pajala. Then continuing up to Alta and the Nord Kapp. Hopefully this will only take a week leaving a further 2 weeks to enjoy Norway on the way down. Drop the better half at Oslo before continuing back through Gothenburg and back into Denmark via the bridge at Malmo. Then heading down into Germany and Luxemburg before heading to Gedinnes in Belgium for the Classic TT races for my final weekend before back to Calais and the train home. According to google 5300 miles in total so hopefully the GS will hold up (No reason to think otherwise). Will try to keep you all informed (bored :tumbleweed) on a regular basis with hopefully some pics if I can get to grips with the tablet. Please bear with me as this is the first time I have really planned a jaunt of this(to me anyway) magnitude so bound to be a few cock ups on the way. Think that'll do for now will report in later :thumb2

Have you managed to book your cabin at the nord kapp . I know they do get booked up quickly this time of year .

We decided to stay in alta for 3 nights with an option at the kapp.meant to be there on 31st thru 2nd

Right disembarked at esbjerg and headed up east coast towards ringkobing it looked on the map as uf it was Denmark's answer to Norway's atlantic road but unfortunately it's not lol. Scenery a bit bland until we got round Viborg. Now enscosed in Hobro for the evening . Early start tomorrow to catch ferry at Frederikshavn at 8 am. Got to get to Gavle north of Stockholm tomorrow. We have 2 nights there so should have some pics by then

Got up at half 5 to make the 8 am ferry toGothenburg from Frederickshavn. A v pleasent ride due to temp being only 17 deg C at 6.30 (it's been 30 every day so far) . Disembarked after 3 hr crossing and successfully negotiated town traffic and into countryside. Due to temp again surpassing 30 deg had to make unscheduled stop to buy thin gloves. That improved things. Carried on to Gavle arriving 8pm. Lots of trees but still an enjoyable ride (approx 300 miles) we had a rest day on tues and had a pootle round the old town of Gavle before searching out the sea. (Having trouble with photo bucket mobile but hopefully get picks up later). Left Galve Wed morning for another 300 miler to Umea. This was a lot better than expected being that it was all motorway (using Sweden to get to the north quickly) coastal scenery good, helped by excellent weather. Also came across pretty impressive suspension bridge ( pics to follow) . Hotel seems good so time for a relax before next leg to Pajala tomorrow. More later

Managed to surface in time for breakfast. Got on road by 10. Rattled off 110 miles before stopping for coffee. Turns out there was a sixties exhibit at the roadside travel info building so spent half an hour or so looking round. Back on the road about another 120 or so miles on and we cross into arctic circle. Stopped by sign in lay by for obligatory photos. Pushed back on and getting concerned on fuel front as 300 miles coming up on tank and no sign of petrol station. Rolls into Pajala ( spoken as piella) and 3 fuel stations jump out at us so all fine. That's another 300 miles cracked off. Hotel seems good but tired . Food good and beer cheaper than Umea. It's now 23.45 and no sign of darkness . That'll do tonight another 300 miles tomorrow should see us in Alta. More later

Right after a bit of a delay here's the latest. Got up bright and early and set off towards Finland we only actually rode in Finland for about 80 miles but it sounds good on the itinery. Nothing much spectacular(apart from scorching temps) until we crossed into Norway. Almost straight away the scenery started to change. Entered Alta through a steep hairpin laden gorge that set the scene nicely for the next few days. Got up early again Sat and set off on our 150 mile run to the nordcap. Well what a fantastic ride . The road to Honingsvag is superb, loads of hairpins, blind corners and crests I was so pumped when we got there. Now after that rush came the terror, lol, I suffer badly with vertigo and the ride to the cape scared the whatsit out of me but was not going to come this far and not see the cape. It got extremely stormy up there and needless to say was equally scarey on the way down but I knew I had the other roads to look forward to. The next day we had a quiet recovery day around Alta. The following day we headed for Tromso. Again fantastic roads and scenery (why do Norwegians have to make all bridges so high) Tromso was not as expected being a little dull but the whole point of this trip is the riding so we were not too upset. Up early again and of to Narvik. The highlight of this section was our B&B. It looked pretty ropey on the outside but inside was plush and with a veiw to die for over the fjord towards Narvik. Next morning up early again to catch ferry from Lodingen to Bogness to catch the e6 and e10 to Bodo. Again roads spectacular and good weather. We hoped to see the maelstrom at Saltstramem but was not as impressive as we thought. Today Thursday we rode down to Moi Rana. We crossed back over the artic circle and stopped off at the artic circle centre (this was disappointing as purely a money making venture with nothing more than a cafe and a souvenir shop) We are hoping to see one of the oldest glaciers tomorrow but thats it for today

Back
Top Bottom