Any mono shock experts online?

Da1sycat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a monoshck for an 1150 GSA which is in good condition although I have no experience of it being fitted to the bike. The banjo bolt which connects the hydraulic line (from the preload remote) to the main body of the shock has come loose, causing an unknown amount of oil to escape. The remote adjuster has no resistance whatsoever as a consequence. I have read the thread which describes how to top up the remote adjuster, but what I need advice on is whether or not the loose banjo bolt has also allowed the nitrogen to escape?

Before I pay for a full rebuild I would like to know whether it's worth trying the top up oil method, clearly if the nitrogen has escaped this is a non starter.

Any knowledge greatly appreciated.

Hold the shock with banjo at the top and fill it with a like oil like hydraulic jack oil, loosen the banjos to let the air out.

There's no gas in that side of a shock.

Thanks Tim, when you refer to filling it with oil I take it you refer to the method of pushing the preload cylinder back, top up then wind it to hard, repeat process etc?

Unscrew the pre load adjuster all the way.... turn it upside down and fill it with oil as much as poss

Fit the pipe to it loosely and hold the pipe up filling with oil so it pushes the oil out of the loose fitting. Nip it up.

See if you can get some oil in the shock where the fitting ism wind the preload adjuster in a bit to expel any more air and tighten it all up.

You may lose a small amount of your initial adjustment if there's still air in it but it should work fine :beerjug:

Cheers Tim I will give that a go. Appears to be a good shock just seems the banjo worked loose causing the leak.

Back
Top Bottom