France - Verdun - Morvan - Four day, 1000 mile (or more) jaunt, no motorways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wapping

Reaction score
I am just back from a four day (Saturday thro' Tuesday) jaunt to the Morvan region of central France. It's all on D and N roads, so suitable for all the 'Great, twisty road' merchants who want a long-weekend break.

It goes:

Day one, Calais to St Menehould

Day two, St Menehould to Avallon

Day three, out and about in the Morvan, returning to Avallon

Day four, Avallon to Calais

You do have to get a bit of a schlep on. So, if you are inclined to bimble you'll maybe have to keep an eye on the clock, though we did have decent coffee and lunch stops on each day.

Richard

It's a four day jaunt that really would answer the 'Where can I go for four days?' question. It would be easy to extend it, too. For example to ride across into the Cote d'Or above Dijon.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14126843/Morvan etc..GPX.zip

I have amended the route very slightly over the one we took. Here's how:

(1) Whilst we avoided motorways entirely, it is worthwhile hoping on the A4 motorway for the short run from Chalons-en-Champagne to St Menehould on day one. There is not a lot to commend the dead straight main road, the D3 that runs west to east from Epernay, through Chalons to St Menehould, so you might as well take the motorway.

(2) Similarly, unless you want to take in the towns themselves, you might as well miss out Epernay and Chalons entirely, too. Therefore I have taken the route slightly north of Epernay (missing it out entirely) and swung it north and across the top of Chalons to meet the A4 motorway. It is along what I take to be the old road (the D1) before they put the more modern D3 in. It does go through some villages but it's maybe better overall. One day I'll find out.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom