Wander 'Black Forest and Vosges' October 5th to 12th 2014

Hi Richard,

Let me see what I can do when I'm back in London.

I know Stuart is having a decent amount of work done on his house, so I am waiting to hear from him.

Either way, I will try to slot you in.

Richard

Many thanks Richard . . will start to prepare the ground!!!

Update:

I now have two more hotels confirmed:

Sunday 05 October - Cheval Rouge in St Menehould. It's a hotel we have used several times.

http://www.lechevalrouge.com

Thursday 9 and Friday 10 October - Dak hotel, Avallon. Again, a hotel we have used several times

http://www.dak-hotel.com

Now only waiting for replies from several potential hotels in the Black Forest for the 'missing' three nights.

Now a bit tidying-up....

(1) Timeandtide, you are in. Book your train tickets.

(2) Paul 08, you will be joining us in the Black Forest, I think for the three nights (Monday 06 through to Thursday morning 09 October). Is that correct? Do you intend to also come with us to Avallon for two nights, too?

(3) Waiting for news on Stuart.

Ho hum, we seem to have coincided with some sort of German holiday for 'National Unity Day' or summat....

Update:

Now a bit tidying-up....

(2) Paul 08, you will be joining us in the Black Forest, I think for the three nights (Monday 06 through to Thursday morning 09 October). Is that correct? Do you intend to also come with us to Avallon for two nights, too?

Lovely job Richard!:clap
Acquiescence obtained in return for really expensive birthday present!:augie
New Tyres fitted today by Steve @ FB in anticipation.:)
Trains to book and the job's a carrot!:bounce1

That is crossing my mind :thumb2

If you want a good hotel recommendation, 30 miles inside the BF from Strasbourg area, shout up

£50 per night for Dinner BB (great food), for a single room, cellar bar and good parking

Easy schlep from Alsace/BF area

EDIT - missed the 'Unity day' stuff, when is it? I can ask if they're open when we are there next week

http://www.leblockhaus.com/en/

Looking at doing a micro-pre-wander as some of us are taking the earlier train at 1350hrs. We'll arrive at about 1520hrs local time and then it's about a 30 minute run to the Blockhouse that Wapping kindly suggested. Looking at the above website it seems to be worth checking out, appears to be open until 6pm and costs 10€ to get in... From there it's only a 15 minute or so schlep to Saint-Omer for our first night.

(I wondered what a 'schlep' was as it seems too be used a fair bit on this forum and got this definition '(schleps, schlepping, schlepped) [ with obj. ]haul or carry (something heavy or awkward)' - Ha! seems to fit a GS perfectly!)

Not set in stone this visit, weather and all that, but any on the same train are welcome to join me, Pukmeister has shown interest so far; we can decide on the day!

Looking forward to the trip :)

Hi JB,

Thanks for the post above.

I have found us a couple of hotels. One near enough where I wanted to be and another that I have used before, that was a touch too Far East. The problem was not so much the German wide public holiday (03 October) so much as bods seemed to be tacking some days onto the end of it; the swine. Add in that I want 8 rooms and preferably in a town or large village, it made matters a bit harder. Had I just wanted four rooms, not a problem.

German hotels are strange, as you seem to get lots at a decent enough price, then it rockets to some ludicrous number, all because they have a 'Wellness' suite, or some such guff.

Could you PM me your suggestion anyway and I'll add it to my ever growing list of places.

PS I should of course have realised it's October Fest season in Germany. The entire country will be pissed!

Update

I think I have secured us a hotel for our three nights in the Black Forest, in Haslach im Kinzigtal.

It's on the T-junction of the main 294 and 33 roads, which is handy as we can go in three directions quite easily.

The town itself looks OK in Google pictures, which is good enough for me.

I think that's now it, other than:

(1) To hear from Paul as to whether he is joining us for our two nights in Avallon on the Friday and Saturday. At the moment I have assumed that he is, but not for the Saturday night in Soissons. Let me know as I'll need to make some alterations if you are.

(2) To finalise with Stuart if he is coming. I have booked him in, not least as it's often easier to remove a room as opposed to add one.

If Stuart is not coming, I will have a room spare. Is there anyone out there who might like to join us?

Richard

PS So far I have managed to avoid paying any deposits on the hotels, by using my credit card as security. This presumes on the hotels' goodwill and mine. Don't disappoint me, please.

PPS I will draw up some suggested routes and circulate them about. I am away in France over the weekend, so it may be a few days before this happens.

PPPS I have many of your email addresses and mobile numbers. I will drop a PM to anyone whose I have lost or have never had. I will circulate all the numbers to everyone, not least as it's a good way for everyone to stay in touch. It worked well when we had a big problem with the Chunnel breaking down at Easter, as bods could find each other in queues.

Update:

I now have two more hotels confirmed:

Sunday 05 October - Cheval Rouge in St Menehould. It's a hotel we have used several times.

http://www.lechevalrouge.com

Thursday 9 and Friday 10 October - Dak hotel, Avallon. Again, a hotel we have used several times

http://www.dak-hotel.com

Now only waiting for replies from several potential hotels in the Black Forest for the 'missing' three nights.

Now a bit tidying-up....

Richard, sorry for the slow reply, but am currently on holiday. I will only do the Black Forest days, as Avallon is a bit of a schlepp off to the west when looking to get back to Koln

If Stuart can't go and if the latest grandchild arrives on time and in the pink of condition, I would be interested. I won't know the answer to the second if until the end of September or so, so no rush. If you need to know sooner and there is another body in the queue then que sera, sera.

Runners and riders updated at 16 September

Update

Definite

Wapping
alleycam
parkys100
Pukmeister
paul08 (Joining for all the nights in the Black Forest only)

5 bikes / 5 bods

Hopeful / possible etc

Stuart (via another site, depending on building work on his house etc etc)

6 bikes / 6 bods

Update

Definite

Wapping
alleycam
parkys100
Pukmeister

5 bikes / 5 bods

Hopeful / possible etc

Stuart (via another site, depending on building work on his house etc etc)

6 bikes / 6 bods

EeeKkk:eek::eek:

Hope you've included me in Richard as I've booked the trains as per your post 44!?:confused:
Richard

Last edited:
Update

Definite

Wapping
alleycam
parkys100
Pukmeister
Timeandtide

6 bikes / 6 bods

That'll teach me not to do it on an iPhone.

List is now closed. Routes etc to follow.

Update

Definite

Wapping
alleycam
parkys100
Pukmeister
Timeandtide

6 bikes / 6 bods

That'll teach me not to do it on an iPhone.

List is now closed. Routes etc to follow.

Pheewww!!!
Thank God for that!

Thanks Richard:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom