CB500X - any other owners out there?

Grim Rider

Reaction score
Picking up new matte black CB500X from Brindley Honda on Monday. Got an old stock model at reduced price but they managed to get the Adventure Pack included which Honda is selling with new models for a modest price hike of £200 - not a bad deal considering pack includes taller screen, hand guards, centre stand, panniers, top box and all racks and locks (pack listed in Honda's accessory list at £1412 and individually parts come to £1476!). Traded in my CRF250L as a few 100 mile journeys and a knackered knee made me realise I needed something more useable on the road, so hopefully this is it.

Since I am an inveterate farkler have already acquired heated grips, crash bars, fender extender and rear hugger. :rolleyes:

After a month with no reply I am guessing that is a no - must have a bike unique to this company :D

Looks interesting for a L/W touring contender, what are your thoughts on it then, now you have had it a few weeks?

Okay, had the CB500X a year and 7000 miles now. Mainly been used for commuting every day, couple of long days and a few long distance rallies, including South-West, Welsh and National. Have added an MRA screen which helps on the motorway and Givi crashbars which worked perfectly at saving the rest of the bike when i came off on ice at the beginning of the year. Has kept up with Varaderos and GSs - the most limiting factors are the lack of power when you go for overtakes - not a problem when you get used to it and plan ahead (as I used to before I had big bikes); and the suspension which is pretty basic (but what do you expect for less than £5k new!). It is a great all year round, do anything bike. Have just had to put warranty claim in though - silver coming away on on of the mirrors (even Honda's quality may not be what it used to be!).

Rally Raid have developed a number of products for the bike - including a Stage 1 kit which sorts the suspension, and a Stage 3 kit which helps turn it into a proper little adventure bike (who needs an Africa Twin, really? ;)}:

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/honda-cb500x-cb500f

I note Chris Scott is using one for his next adventure across Morocco:

http://adventure-motorcyclingh.com/honda-cb500x-overlander/

Chris Scott certainly seems happy with his, like the look of the RR kit too, I was looking for a 2nd hand one, but somehow ended up with a WR250R instead last week!

A mate bought one earlier this year. Very pleased with it although like you he says it lacks the punch for overtakes sometimes , and he traded in an xt660x single.

From the Africa Twin thread should have put this in here.

Little Honda CB500x with some good kit on it that Wreford has ridden in Blighty. Bike has had a run around Austrailia too , series of Youtubes 5 or 6 of them have posted a link to one of them. This little bike does The Simpson Desert. I have fallen for its charms. If funds permitted would buy one and kit it out:thumby:

http://youtu.be/2Rs2GnsSKk0

http://youtu.be/nBMqQq0BfWM

A colleague has the R naked street bike version. I took it for a spin and was actually impressed with the power bearing in mind it is only a 500 twin. Amazingly linear power.

did this on sunday

missed out on an x the same price due to not being able to get to it

so decided to do this 13 plate 18k miles

apart from not pulling high gears at low speed its excellent - smaller bike than the 850r but oddly its roomier

needs a box pipe (i hate not hearing a bike running) and grips (im turning into a sad old man :D )

Attachments

• Picture 1577.jpg
    Picture 1577.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 959
That 500 motor is a real peach! As stated above. I rode my colleagues bike. He has since swapped it for the 750 and took it out for a wee thrash. I have a very eclectic taste in bikes, but that 750 motor is sooooooooooooo mundane. Just as you think things might get interesting the rev limiter kicks in. Yawn. Much prefer the 500.

I would agree with you - I rode the NX700 and 500X back to back and the 500 engine is so much better - the 700 engine would make more sense in a scooter and is fine for commuting I guess but I found it very dull on open roads. I rode an 800GS yesterday and while obviously more power than the 500 there was also far more vibration. Have now upgraded the suspension on mine with Hagon fork springs and shock which has helped it stick to the road a bit more. ��

done all sorts of riding here and in ireland (2nd trip in 3 weeks with another to come)

wont average under 55 mpg and has been 63 and that included 75 miles of flat out travelling to make a gig

seems a bit lumpy under 50 mph above that its great and 47 hp and never lacking go

I ordered a new AT few months ago picked it up a little sooner than expected last week, my misses was on to me about a new bike that she was liking in the Honda showroom,,,,it was cb500f as it had the same gold engine covers as my twin,
When we went back she tried the cb500x and she loved much better than the f as it had the crash bars and panniers and a taller screen for touring, at only £5600 with the extras £6900 that's a good price,,,,,,

We didn't order the bike as I wanted to talk about what she wanted with the bike, colour, accessories, a guy I new told me that he new some one selling a cb500x white in colour the colour she wants only 9 months old with a couple thousand miles on, every extra you can get with the bike, panniers top box crash bars hugger tall screen for only £3500 I bought it straight away, I have to say it's very nice to ride for a 500 very quick around the twistys, perfect for what she wants.
I'm looking at putting the rally raid kit on wheels and suspension at £2200 it will transform the bike,

Just spent a very enjoyable weekend at the HUBB in Mid Wales. Rally Raid had a fully tricked out 500. In no particular order it had different exhaust, tractive rear sussies, bash guard, new wheels hubs, brake levers.
The bike was like a pile of shit"..........In that it had people crowding around it like flies all weekend. I believe the bike as shown was available for 8 ish. However issues at the AT / NC Honda factory mean these bikes will command premiums this year.

Really nice machine and Tri Colour paint work looked the business.

I bought a second bike with all the Rally Raid kit on it (wire wheels with 19" front; Tractive suspension front and rear; sump guard; footpads; triple crown) plus Givi racks, panniers, top box, two sets of tyres, plus all original parts - a 2013 bike for just over £3k. Have now transferred all the RR parts on to mine and have a standard bike to sell plus a pile of parts (e.g. two centre stands, two huggers, Honda hand guards, set of Hagon suspension, spare wheels and a fuel tank) if anyone needs anything for a CB500X :)

Just spent a very enjoyable weekend at the HUBB in Mid Wales. Rally Raid had a fully tricked out 500. In no particular order it had different exhaust, tractive rear sussies, bash guard, new wheels hubs, brake levers.
The bike was like a pile of shit"..........In that it had people crowding around it like flies all weekend. I believe the bike as shown was available for 8 ish. However issues at the AT / NC Honda factory mean these bikes will command premiums this year.

Really nice machine and Tri Colour paint work looked the business.

I think there is a gap in the market for this mid range bike, it's a shame that others have to build a bike up to spec like this instead of Honda, I guess it's down to taste Stev

Back
Top Bottom