Xt660z front wheel issue

gebrauchtwagen83

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Xt660z front tyre feedback
Hi folks
I've just picked up my new to me xt660z . It's a 2011 with 6k miles in immaculate condition. I've noticed at slow speed turns that the front feels a bit heavy to steer and on slow speed bends there is a small amount of movement on the bars, almost likes it's falling off a ridge or something similar.
The dealer fitted brand new tourances to it when I collected it.
Unfortunately the dealer is miles away so can't just pop in to have them check it out.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Dan

Check your steering head bearings.If it's immaculate a previous owner could have overused a karcher and dried out the bearings.

Would they be checked as part of the MOT? It was MOTd 3 days ago with no advisories

Hi-they would be checked as part of the mot but it is not unknown for the bearings to be shot with no grease present yet still feel ok to pass an mot.I am no expert and am only re iterating what I have read but whilst in that vein I have also read on the xt660 forum that riders have experienced that falling off a cliff sensation when riding on newly fitted tourances. I probably haven't answered your question but hopefully given you some more possibilities to research.

You were spot on. The lower steering head bearing was rusted and the yoke was full of water. All sorted now :)

Pleased you have sorted it. Cracking bike by the way. I am torn between buying the f800gs or the ten but will mull it over winter before I plunge.:thumby:

I've hd2 f800s and 3 tens. I'd say the GS is a better bike. It's quicker, same Weight etc... The tenere for me has more soul and that lovely 290 mile range :)

That's worth knowing. I sold a corker of an f8gs 2 years ago and since then have run primarily road bikes. I've done 2 Scottish mini tours over the last 7 weeks and have managed to blow 2 fork seals on my zrx1200s because of the potholes and general poor state of some of the routes. I hope going back to long travel, off road orientated suspension will stop this happening again in a hurry. I will be keeping the 'rex' so the performance (or absence of it) is not a deal breaker on a ten. Thanks for your input tho , I have only managed to blag an hours test ride and that can't replicate what its like to live with bike.

You were spot on. The lower steering head bearing was rusted and the yoke was full of water. All sorted now :)

As an aside,I have a grease nipple fitted on my head stock..a couple of pumps every now and then keeps the bearings maintenance free. :)

1.jpg

DSC04709_1.jpg

:D

Back
Top Bottom