High Milage ZZR1100.

Yodagoat

Reaction score
I'm buying my mates ZZR of him. He's had it from new and the bike has a full service history. He had replaced/uprated the shock and fork internals.The bike goes well and is reliable, my mate rode it to Germany last year no problem. It's a wee bit rough around the edges and it hs done 96k

96000 miles. Various ZZR folk have said that as long as you keep on top of the oil changes and the shims there's not mutch to worry about (just like a GS eh?)

What's folks thought/experiences with these bikes?
It's a ZZR1100 D 1993
I know it'll eat chain and sprokets and brake pads. What tyre life should I expect? 'Busa like 1200 miles to a rear? I'll be riding it relatively sensibly with just the occasional "message sent".

I had a D6 ZZR1100 for a few years. It was absolutely bullet proof and threw up no unexpected bills. Tyres were lasting 4000 for the rear and twice that for the front. Brake pads lasted no less on the zzr than any other bike I've owned. It used very little oil and gave me 50mpg however I rode it.

My only criticism was that it was heavy on the wrists and that was with 1" risers. This may be more about my build than the bike.

Scarily fast but also very easy to ride at city centre speeds.

I sold mine to go back to adventure bikes for the riding position, and because I realised that the ease at which I found myself at an indicated 160mph meant I needed to get shot.

They are dirt cheap for huge performance.

Only just noticed this thread.

As above, they can throw No3 rod out of the cases. The cause is a misalignment between the oil hole in the big end shell and the bottom clamp of the con rod (if that makes sense). Although the chances are it would have gone POP by now.

You can fit the ZZR1200 headers which are stainless, then you can fit any aftermarket cans.

OE calipers are not very good. NISSINs from a Honda fireblade fit with very little modification.

Lots of useful info over on ZZR-International.

Had a zzr for a few years, year 2000, what a really great machine. Rode all year round, sold with 76k. For 30k I had it all I did was change oil every 3k, new tyres, chain and sprockets as needed, and rode it like I stole it most of the time. Rough fairing and looks but sound engine etc. And not a single point on my licence!

ZZR

I had an 1100 and a 1200 before moving onto the 1400
The 1100 was a C3 and these are prone to jumping out of 2nd gear as the miles increase, my first engine started at about 30.000 I replaced the engine and the same thing happened again. I do not think the D models are known for this.
The 1200 suffered from cam pitting as did the 1100 but this is not a show stopper, they are known for this but it seems to reach a stage and not get any worse. i would expect the D model to suffer from this.
They are nice bikes to ride however the brakes are not as strong as more modern bikes and are prone to sticking if used through the winter.

Regards

My brother-in-law has had a C3 for over 15 years and done over 100k on it and has had no problems what so ever in that time, adjusted the shims a couple of times and regular oil changes, he loves it.
I had a D2 for 5 years and did over 50k on it, again it proved ultra reliable, the only reason I parted with it was problems with my back, lovely bike.
The engines are almost billing proof so as long as it's been mechanically looked after I'd go for it.

Back
Top Bottom