SW Motech Tank Bag

Easybeaver

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the SWM quick lock tank bag ring that they have listed for the 2013spo> GS, fits the keyless filler cap?
I called them the other day, and they said that SWM didn't know as the had not seen the bike yet!
I have looked at pictures and by all accounts the outer ring looks the same, but if any of you guys have fitted one, that would close the deal for me.

I have the bags connection GS bag which still fits the tank profile so I want to use that.

If nobody has done this, I'll get one and post the result..

Thx..

Any luck with that? I'm waiting for my 2015 Gs and also have a swm tank bag which uses the evo tank ring... Getting keyless ride too and wanted to use the same bag...

I don't see why not, as the outer ring is the same, it's just the locking mechanism that's different.

It may be a different case if you want to run a powered tank bag though.

I have a 14 plate GS, and bought a K1300GT powered tank ring.

Perfect fit !

*Edit*

I do not have the keyless filler cap.

I have the swm tank bag as well and have ordered a keyless gsa hopefully it will fit as nutty says it don't look no different.

The powered evo tankring will not fit the adventure without modification, the cubby hole lid closure gets in the way and renders it inaccessible.
I have had to modify the power assembly to take the wires down the gap and through the tank cover to get it to work.
SW Motech said they do not advise fitting the powered tankring to the GSAW but I never saw that in any of the adverts.

I know it’s an old post, but I’ve just sold my RT and the 12v Evo tank ring had the wire out the front

On my new GSA the wire gets to run straight over the pointless cubby box.

Mr Reaper, do you have any photos of your modified ring (so to speak )

I had the SW-Motech bag on my GS for a while, and I'm sure there is a different part number for the ring needed for the keyless bike as apparently it needs a little more clearance. I'm sure I have posted about this before and if I can find the part number I will put it in this thread.

Incidentally I stopped using the bag and bought a BMW one instead, partly because I didn't like the way the SW-Motech one looked on the GS, and partly because I read some comments about BMW refusing warranty service on damaged filler cap fixings as they don't approve tankbag ring mounts. I believe this is because of the strain they put on the filler fixings which are molded into the plastic fuel tank and are not as strong as the fixings in metal tanks.

Both previous RT and new GSA are keyless, the issue is the 12v supply comes out the front if the tank ring.

The RT has just plastic, the the GSA has a small cubby box and if I put the ring on the electric cable will mean the cubby doesn’t open. Not a big deal.

Try here:-

Motohaus Powersports Ltd.
Motohaus Powersports Ltd
5 Crumplins Business Court
RG 29 1DU Odiham

e-mail: info@motohaus.com
Phone: 0044 1256704909
Fax: 0044 1256701919

I'm sure the ring I bought came from Motohaus. I placed an "enquiry" on SW-Motech's site, they forwarded it to Motohaus in Blighty. It wasn't stupidly expensive. Found it:- £16.31 delivered - April 2015

I'm sure the ring I bought came from Motohaus. I placed an "enquiry" on SW-Motech's site, they forwarded it to Motohaus in Blighty. It wasn't stupidly expensive. Found it:- £16.31 delivered - April 2015
Does your tank ring have 12v and do you have a GSA, and does the 12v come out of the front of the ring?

This is the setup I have
tre_00_640_10203_b_3_xl.jpg

Incidentally I stopped using the bag and bought a BMW one instead, partly because I didn't like the way the SW-Motech one looked on the GS, and partly because I read some comments about BMW refusing warranty service on damaged filler cap fixings as they don't approve tankbag ring mounts. I believe this is because of the strain they put on the filler fixings which are molded into the plastic fuel tank and are not as strong as the fixings in metal tanks.

My GS tank was replaced under warranty due to distortion between the neck and tank - I had bought the bike five months or so previously as an approved used bike.

I did wonder if it had previously a tank ring fitted.

If you fit your sw Motech bag using the original sw Motech pre keyless tank mount it will fit okay, but it will scratch the flip up lever on the keyless cap because there is not quite enough working clearance.
I actually did this on my 2016 T/Blk. Because it fitted okay I thought that all was well, it wasn’t until later when I cleaned the bike with the Motech bag removed that I noticed the scratches.
I remedied the situation by grinding away some of the plastic on the underside of my bag mounting plate until it had clearance. You will need to remove quite a bit of material, an angle grinder is the perfect companion to do this job.
Just to be sure I then put some gaffer tape onto the area that I’d ground away so that it would (a) act as a soft buffer between the hard plastic base and the paint work on the filler and (b) the gaffer tape would show any telltale marks if it was still rubbing, which it did, so I had another grind until there was clearance. This was two years back and the same bag is now on my 2018 bike and has not suffered with any ill effects.
Hope this helps.

I have keyless mount, I was trying to see if anyone had modified the SW Motech Keyless mount with a 12v lead coming out the front, to work with a GSA so the cubby box thing could still be opened.

I’m going to order a PDM60 and then wire it all up and not use the cubby thing.

Back
Top Bottom