Tearing The Mistress's clothes off to give her a good seeing to!

Tank bits

Manual petcocks turned up today and were waiting when I got home, so into the garage and off with the original electric ones. I will investigate the bust one and see if it's salvageable. They mostly go at the junction of the wires and the body but both seem intact there so perhaps the windings have failed in one or the internals are seized. There's nothing complicated about them.

Attachments

• P1000522.jpg
    P1000522.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 417
I has a choice of vertical or horizontal outlets and plumped for the horizontal sight unseen which was just as well because on the o/s one interferes with the throttle/choke cables/vent pipe all of which had to be re-routed for a neater install. Here they are in situ...

Attachments

• P1000523.jpg
    P1000523.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 351
  • P1000525.jpg
    P1000525.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 428
  • P1000524.jpg
    P1000524.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 337
Taps

Just in case you're thinking the nasty mess under the tank on the right of the tunnel is a bit 'orrid - its Waxoyl not rust/crap/etc!

What I forgot to investigate was how the reserves work, if at all, in my haste to get it all buttoned up but all is not lost as the low fuel warning should still work and will be enough. I'll sort that later.
Now, you would have thought I would remember to turn the bloody things on when I started her up but being so used to firing her up without bothering I forgot and she died after a minute or so and there I was wondering why!! Talk about a numpty... Sounds as good as ever.

Tomorrow I'll put the vac gauges on her and check the carb balance and take her for a run if the weather is OK and the fencing that is urgently needed before the horses break out is finished.

Post some pics tomorrow.

Fluff.

Been following your rebuild with interest Fluff. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Nearly there.

There is always something to do, Oldrat, the aim is a bit of a tart up not a full on restoration. She's a rider not a garage queen but I do like my bikes immaculate (ish).

We're there!

Here we are at 8 o'clock this morning before the rain swept in. Apart from some details this is as far as I'm going at the moment. She's not looking too bad but I wonder if the hawk eyes amongst us can spot the aggravating cosmetic imperfection perpetrated by yours truly? Entirely avoidable and accidental. No it's not that the mirrors are upside down, they always have been...

The two things left to be fitted is a Bagster tank cover that also has always been on her, currently having a wash and polish and the steering damper. I have to find a way of removing the Bitubo label so that it can go back on when the tube is painted so I'm taking my time over it.

Attachments

• P1000526.jpg
    P1000526.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 505
Here we are at 8 o'clock this morning before the rain swept in. Apart from some details this is as far as I'm going at the moment. She's not looking too bad but I wonder if the hawk eyes amongst us can spot the aggravating cosmetic imperfection perpetrated by yours truly? Entirely avoidable and accidental. No it's not that the mirrors are upside down, they always have been...

The two things left to be fitted is a Bagster tank cover that also has always been on her, currently having a wash and polish and the steering damper. I have to find a way of removing the Bitubo label so that it can go back on when the tube is painted so I'm taking my time over it.

What a nice looking bike.....All ready for summer......Lovely job.......:thumb2

That's reflection. You have to go lower. What do you see on the header pipe, Mike?

Well there appears to be a vertical line on it down by the sump but apart from that I am stumped.;)

Hmmm. I dropped a zip tie doing the petcocks and that's where it ended up. Thought there was I funny smell when I fired her up. Got it off eventually but talk about sh*t and blankets..

Odds..

MOT passed. Followed by a quick flip up the road. First signs are that the suspected gearbox problem has disappeared with the re torquing of the coupling bolts, so that's good. In fact it's great.
I was pushed for time today and as much as I would have liked to go for a long blast in wasn't to be but I'm on a promise::aidan
What did show up was that despite a thorough bleeding the front brakes are a touch spongy so a master cyl rebuild will follow. I'll post that when I do it.

Fluff (very pleased, Fluff).

Nice one mate, well done. We'll have to have a v twin ride out - me on the HD XR1200 and you on Guzzi

Finally got around to reading this! :blast
Lovely job. :thumb2

puts my Cali to shame. :blush

Finally got around to reading this! :blast
Lovely job. :thumb2

puts my Cali to shame. :blush

Hey, Og!

How the devil?

Nowt wrong with yr Cali. Its got character and er, patina which mine doesn't :D

I suspect yours has a battery to. Both of mine have just just died and I'm searching for a single battery, probably an Odessey, to fit the resulting hole.

The Old Girl's going well but has broken out in micro blister on the fairing which is a shame. I'm in two minds whether to get it re painted - I know of a really good chap locally, or live with it and keep the original finish. It's not bad but I can see it in the sunshine.

Onwards and upwards

Fluff.

Hi Fluff,
You're too kind ~ patina indeed :rolleyes: well, yes - hard earned by riding it too much :cool: / not fettling enough
Ahem. :augie
Now batteries i've got sussed ... for a Carb'd old Lady at least :blast gave up with 'sufficient' amps and put a small car battery in! I use it a lot in the lighter months and the short commutes are hard on it - if you want any kind of DRLs :rolleyes:.
Though i fitted two little LED running lights on Her and they'll do. As in it shows some effort To Be Seen if i ever have to fill in an insewerance claim form :D.
Paint on mine needs damage limitation done on the mudguards before rust makes it much harder (have you seen the price of new ones? :eek: )
and the tank is a replacement anyhow - it had suffered a fire (the burnt rag that started it was still in the tank was still in it when i got it :eek ) and the upper surface was damaged - i bodged it just 'For Now' ... about 6 or 7 years ago :augie
Thinking about it, the suspensions just adequate - i'd love to put the Bitubo innards back in and remove the (crap) FAQ/FTW/FVQ or whatever they're called bits out.
Never liked the Hagons on the back - Want new Dial-a-rides.
Of course the brakes would benefit from a new hoses and such too
Of - and the wiring ... i could go on :blagblah .
oh.
i have.
:blush

Hi Fluff,
You're too kind ~ patina indeed :rolleyes: well, yes - hard earned by riding it too much :cool: / not fettling enough
Ahem. :augie
Now batteries i've got sussed ... for a Carb'd old Lady at least :blast gave up with 'sufficient' amps and put a small car battery in! I use it a lot in the lighter months and the short commutes are hard on it - if you want any kind of DRLs :rolleyes:.
Though i fitted two little LED running lights on Her and they'll do. As in it shows some effort To Be Seen if i ever have to fill in an insewerance claim form :D.
Paint on mine needs damage limitation done on the mudguards before rust makes it much harder (have you seen the price of new ones? :eek: )
and the tank is a replacement anyhow - it had suffered a fire (the burnt rag that started it was still in the tank was still in it when i got it :eek ) and the upper surface was damaged - i bodged it just 'For Now' ... about 6 or 7 years ago :augie
Thinking about it, the suspensions just adequate - i'd love to put the Bitubo innards back in and remove the (crap) FAQ/FTW/FVQ or whatever they're called bits out.
Never liked the Hagons on the back - Want new Dial-a-rides.
Of course the brakes would benefit from a new hoses and such too
Of - and the wiring ... i could go on :blagblah .
oh.
i have.
:blush

You should sell it to Ash then buy it backs once he has fettled it as he would be bound to sell it again :blast

Back
Top Bottom