Germany Calling.......Germany Calling

Thanks Ash,

Here are some more pictures of Colditz that Andy took and I had forgotten to put them in :blast

DSC_0024-X2.jpg

DSC_0025%202-X2.jpg

DSC_0027-X2.jpg

DSC_0032-X2.jpg

DSC_0034-X2.jpg

DSC_0037%202-X2.jpg

DSC_0040-X2.jpg

DSC_0046%202-X2.jpg

Days Eight & Nine

Day%208-X2.png

Andy had booked us into the Allegra Hotel right in the heart of Berlin with the added bonus of underground parking for the bikes. So after breakfast we did another couple of famous Berlin sites including the Brandenburg Gate.
The Brandenburg Gate is an 18th century neoclassical triumphal arch with 12 Doric columns topped by a classical goddess statue. It is one of the most well-known landmarks of Germany.

DSC_0067%202-X2.jpg

6X7A2028-X2.jpg

Leaving the Brandenburg Gate Andy had planned to visit the new Berlin BMW dealership. This place has just opened and is meant to be a bit of a ‘show piece’ dealer. However, because of the bank holiday it was shut!

DSC_0071%202-X2.jpg

So we hit the road and left the giant city of Berlin and headed for the north eastern countryside. This is mainly farming country with rolling low level hills and small villages and towns.

There is a definite difference between villages and towns of the former East Germany to the former West Germany. They are a little more run down, a lot still have cobbled streets and there are a lot more timber framed buildings.
We stopped for lunch at a small town called Blankenburg famous for these types of streets and buildings.

6X7A2040-X2.jpg

6X7A2041-X2.jpg

6X7A2043-X2.jpg

6X7A2052-X2.jpg

DSC_0075%202-X2.jpg

After lunch we headed for The Harz National Park, which is a nature reserve in the German federal states of Lower Saxony and Saxony-Anhalt. It covers an area of 247km². Because of the holiday there was a lot of visitors to the area although this did not prevent us from enjoying the twisting and undulating roads.

DSC_0080%202-X2.jpg

6X7A2059-X2.jpg

We then headed east to our hotel on the outskirts of Freudenstadt the Schwarzwald Hotel. Nice quality hotel but a little cut off from the nearby town. However we made the best of it and had a great meal and a few beers in the hotels adjacent pub.

Day Nine

Day%209-X2.png

We awoke to a very misty morning which was a shame as Andy had planned a stunning ride alongside dams in the Ruhr valley famous for being destroyed by the RAF Dambusters in 1943. Whilst the roads were great and twisty our view was spoilt by the fog that did not lift until lunchtime. By which time we were fast heading towards France and the Chunnel.

DSC_0084%202-X2.jpg

6X7A2064-X2.jpg

DSC_0085%202-X2.jpg

DSC_0086%202-X2.jpg

On the long ride back up to Ilkeston I decided that I would put some effort in and do a ‘proper write up’ of the trip as we both felt that Germany had given us fantastic trip and experience certainly a trip worth sharing.

Hope you liked it.

Nice music but dump the first 5 minutes of the video :sleep :sleep.

Just wondering like, but do you both have matching underwear as well :confused:

Hi Noddy,
I read this last week and saw it as a challenge!

So here it is - Mk Two. A little more snappy with a great tune I heard on BBC Six Music. I hope it's more to your liking.

Turn it right up and put it on full screen!

Cracking photos, felt like I was there, Germany looks a great country to visit. Where next?

Brilliant trip. I really like the route as it covers some of my 2016 wish list. . Many thanks for posting :thumb2

Good trip that one, takes some beating does Germany :thumb

Enjoyed the ride report - but nothing in it about the bikes!

What worked well?

Why has one of you got a higher screen?

Anything you wished you had brought, or wish you had left behind?

I ask also because I have just bought an RT LC after many years in a GS, so I am interested in what you both have to say

Thanks

Simon

Hi Noddy,
I read this last week and saw it as a challenge!

So here it is - Mk Two. A little more snappy with a great tune I heard on BBC Six Music. I hope it's more to your liking.

Turn it right up and put it on full screen!

Been a bit of a delay BigDave, my apologies, but thats much better, even found my foot tapping. All the best to you and yours for 2016. :beerjug:

Germany is a very underrated country and well worth spending a bit of time exploring when heading to/from the Alps :thumby:

Great food, wonderful beer and lovely old towns - what's not to like? :cool:

Viewed a second time & as good as I remembered...
I do like a good trip report & piccies...

:aidan

Nice trip report.

I'm thinking of doing a lap of Germany in 2016, starting in Hamburg, then along the Baltic coast, down to Berlin and onwards; your report has spurred me on.

Nice trip report.

I'm thinking of doing a lap of Germany in 2016; your report has spurred me on.

Great trip and report, spent years driving a truck in Germany so need to go and see all the bits I couldn't get to with an artic

Great RR and photos Dave brought back some good memories of a tour I did with our Stuart a few years ago in which we visited one or two locations that you had and also of an earlier tour with Alte Wolf.
Thanks for Posting

Norrie

Thinking of the Eagle's Nest this year and came across this.

Great ride report and some more ideas to play around with :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom