DRZ

david a hall

Reaction score
Ina recent trip round Wales I took my DRZ, spent a fortnight getting it all shipshape and Bristol fashion. I have had road gearing on it so it's been quite good on the road and just ride it off the clutch a bit off road.
It seems to of developed an odd running fault that has me scratching my head a bit, the bike runs well at 3/4 throttle, doing 50/55 mph, if I want to overtake something I open the throttle and not a lot happens, a bit of bogging then 5 seconds later it accelerates, like a surge, up to the top speed of about 62/ 64 mph.
It sounds like carburettion but I have had the carb off and cleaned the jets and they were fine, put it together again and still does it.
Any thoughts..

Plenty info if you google it, suggestions are- air filter clogged? jetting seems to be the one most people are finding.Check enough fuel getting to the carb?

Plenty info if you google it, suggestions are- air filter clogged? jetting seems to be the one most people are finding.Check enough fuel getting to the carb?
I had oil in the filter, I changed it for a dry one and still the same.With the tap on flow from the tank is good, but will test again. Thanks.

Dave's is the shopper version complete with a wicker basket on the front. When you had the carb apart did you check the float level and also the float valve for any shite stopping it sitting properly?? If it's been sat a while (which it was) there may also be some old fuel gumming up parts of the carb you cannot see. Also check the plug cap resistor for cracks, may be worth replacing on spec as they are only a few quid off ebay.

Dave's is the shopper version complete with a wicker basket on the front. When you had the carb apart did you check the float level and also the float valve for any shite stopping it sitting properly?? If it's been sat a while (which it was) there may also be some old fuel gumming up parts of the carb you cannot see. Also check the plug cap resistor for cracks, may be worth replacing on spec as they are only a few quid off ebay.

The reason I asked was that on the 'S' version (same as mine) there are a couple of restrictors which really do their job nicely and completely stuff it up. I was having similar issues. I removed them and did the well known 3x3 mod. The result has been staggeringly good. It really opens it up for very little cost and is easily done. Completely different bike after. Loads of info here:

http://www.drz400uk.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=671

and just search '3x3 mod Drz400S' There's loads of info on it.

K
The reason I asked was that on the 'S' version (same as mine) there are a couple of restrictors which really do their job nicely and completely stuff it up. I was having similar issues. I removed them and did the well known 3x3 mod. The result has been staggeringly good. It really opens it up for very little cost and is easily done. Completely different bike after. Loads of info here:

http://www.drz400uk.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=671

and just search '3x3 mod Drz400S' There's loads of info on it.

This was going to be my next job... Thanks.

If you pull the choke out does it improve when the throttle is pinned?

No tried that, I was going to run it without the inline fuel filter to see if there was some restriction in there. What doesn't add up is the fact that what ever its short of, Petrol or electric,clears after 5 seconds and full power is achieved,

Back
Top Bottom