Tolls, Vignettes , & e-Permits

Mallard

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I hope I’ve put this in the right section!

I’m trying to do a bit of forward planning for next year and at varying times of the year plan to travel through: France, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, & Czech Rep.

I’m quite happy with the French, German, & Austrian systems, but not so much the others.
Now I’ve searched the AA, RAC, and a few internet sites but find them all soooooooooo confusing & contradictory. Some don’t mention Tolls/Vignettes at all.

Some sites say bikes are exempt others say not. Some say all vehicles, others say 2 wheels or more, (can’t recollect seeing that many one wheeled vehicles).

I got pulled in a roadside check last year in Germany last year and given the 3rd degree, but everything was in order, so I’d much rather pay a few Euros on a wasted Vignette than have to stump up hefty on the spot fines.

So can you tell me what countries I need a permit for? – and does it stop some of the messing about if you obtain them before you go?

I’m familiar with carrying high-viz, first-aid, breathalysers, documentation etc, (and again, views on these vary) but in what country do you need to carry a red triangle? Once more, - opinion varies.

Or does anyone know of a good website that can tell me?

Vignette required for Switzerland if you're going to be using the motorways. You can buy them at the border for about £30.

Vignettes are also required for bikes for Austrian motorways, you can buy these in Austria at petrol stations but they're cheaper than Swiss ones! Austrian vignettes (IIRC) can be bought for short periods as well as full years.

When in Switzerland last year we thought about using the motorway until we found out they were 42 Euro's for a year, with no option for a short term one.

Not worth it if your just travelling through, which we were.

I have been there loads of times, I just set my sat nav to avoid motorways. B roads are very good anyway and not much is gained from being on the motorway.

I can never understand why the UK doesn't charge the foreign drivers from countries that charge us a toll, for using the motorway networks in the UK. Especially the French, Austrian and Switz.

I can never understand why the UK doesn't charge the foreign drivers from countries that charge us a toll, for using the motorway networks in the UK. Especially the French, Austrian and Switz.
They don't charge us, they charge everyone, including them

They don't charge us, they charge everyone, including them

Well our government charges everyone in the UK but not foreigners, it just doesn't seem fair. Why should we contribute to other countries road networks when they can come here and use our pot holed roads for free. If they use our roads they should pay for the privilege, but not countries that don't charge us.

Well our government charges everyone in the UK but not foreigners, it just doesn't seem fair. Why should we contribute to other countries road networks when they can come here and use our pot holed roads for free. If they use our roads they should pay for the privilege, but not countries that don't charge us.
Johnny foreigner pays for his roads through general taxation and specific taxes on vehicles, fuel etc, just the same as us.

If we started charging foreigners then doubtless they would respond by charging us when we went there.

Johnny foreigner pays for his roads through general taxation and specific taxes on vehicles, fuel etc, just the same as us.

If we started charging foreigners then doubtless they would respond by charging us when we went there.

Well they do, I paid £42 just to drive through Switzerland, how much would a Swiss person pay to drive through the UK?

Well they do, I paid £42 just to drive through Switzerland, how much would a Swiss person pay to drive through the UK?

The same as we do for the M6 toll, Congestion charge travelling through London, Dartford crossing, Humber Bridge, Severn Bridge and various other river crossings. All of which can be avoided if you want, just the same as foreign motorway tolls can be avoided!:thumby:

Nothing, same as you. They pay £42 to drive on autoroutes in Switzerland, same as you.

You do know you don't have to pay to drive in Switzerland?

Nothing, same as you. They pay £42 to drive on autoroutes in Switzerland, same as you.

You do know you don't have to pay to drive in Switzerland?

Fair enough. If a Frenchman drives from the south of England all the way to Scotland using the motorways he pays no tolls, If I drive from the North of France to the South using motorways it cost me a pretty Euro. What is the cost of road tax in France Stolzy?

Fair enough. If a Frenchman drives from the south of England all the way to Scotland using the motorways he pays no tolls, If I drive from the North of France to the South using motorways it cost me a pretty Euro. What is the cost of road tax in France Stolzy?

As per post 16 and there are quite a few sections of autoroute in France that are free.

If a Frenchman drives from the south of England all the way to Scotland without using the motorways he pays no tolls, If I drive from the North of France to the South without using motorways it costs me nothing.
What is the cost of road tax in France Stolzy?
There is no road tax in France. What is the cost of taxes on diesel in the UK?
In the UK, roads are paid for from a variety of taxes and tolls. In France/Germany/Austria etc the roads are paid for from a slight different variety of taxes and tolls. Some are paid only by residents of that country, none are paid only by foreigners.

Back
Top Bottom