MT-09 Tracer.....

I took a look yesterday.

Nice bike but there are a few really tacky bits on it (clock housing etc). The colour scheme I looked at looked wrong but that's just down to taste. I love the feel of the 1200 super tenere but this tracer just doesn't have the same quality vibe to it. I left feeling very underwhelmed and disappointed.

Dont know where I saw it but I thought the release date was at the end of March. Have I missread this and are they up for sale now?

my understanding is you won't be able to get one until March but dealers have had one bike delivered which has to be put on the road as a demonstrator - just phoned Skellerns in Cheltenham - they have one in the showroom and it will go on the road in the next week or two as a demo bike

my understanding is you won't be able to get one until March but dealers have had one bike delivered which has to be put on the road as a demonstrator - just phoned Skellerns in Cheltenham - they have one in the showroom and it will go on the road in the next week or two as a demo bike

Excellent. Many thanks. I will have to book my test ride soon.

A mate of mine took one out today, and loved it.:thumb

I have a test ride booked for Friday 13th!

Dealer gave me a load of flannel about luggage options - don't think he knows yet. He claims the bike won't suit a topbox.

Givi have a different view and have full luggage options in the pipeline

Its £2000 cheaper then the honda version, there new crossrunner and after looking at the yam at Cmc and the extras available, i really do like it.

if money is tight, .:thumb

Would i buy one ! Yes i would and not because money is tight, because i see it as a bloody great bike for £8k its half the price of a spec'd up s1xr, ok its not got the BMW kudo's but i buy what i like and not to impress my neighbours .

Would i buy one ! Yes i would and not because money is tight, because i see it as a bloody great bike for £8k its half the price of a spec'd up s1xr, ok its not got the BMW kudo's but i buy what i like and not to impress my neighbours .

Too right, Dave.:thumb My neighbours wouldn't know one end of a motorbike from the other!:p

It's still built on a budget though!:D

The Crossrunner is quite a bit more expensive, but it feels a more premium product ( to me). The quality and finish on many of the parts on the Yam turned me off it. However, I'd still like to take it for a ride to see if the engine makes up for its (cosmetic) shortfalls.

I had a test ride today on a Tracer - took it from Cheltenham to Winchcombe via Southam & Cleeve Hill. From there to Toddington and out onto the M5 at Northway. Off at Cheltenham and then around the Old Gloucester road, past the airport on Bamfurlong Lane to Badgeworth & Shurdington. Then into Cheltenham to see what it is like in traffic.

I like the bike. It zips along nicely in standard mode and gets quite lively in A mode. I wouldn't use the B mode. Despite the budget cost the suspension is quite compliant - the roads around Winchcombe are very bumpy and it was soaking them up nicely. The engine, even with just 200 miles on the odo is lovely. Very nice top gear roll ons.

I'll probably end up buying one, so does anyone want a 2011 Super Tenere with luggage for £7k?

It is a budget bike after all, but if money is tight, and you want a do it all bike, this could fit the bill.:thumb

I'm not so sure on that comment, looked at one earlier this week and the plastics are better than my WC, Dash is an acquired taste but everything else about it is just about spot on. The GS is built down to a price now, it's just BMW seem to want to make bigger margins and BMW do seem to sell a huge amount of new GS's to the born agains and clueless who will be blinded by the badge. It's a great bike, and Yamaha will sell them by the truck load.

I'm not so sure on that comment, looked at one earlier this week and the plastics are better than my WC, Dash is an acquired taste but everything else about it is just about spot on. The GS is built down to a price now, it's just BMW seem to want to make bigger margins and BMW do seem to sell a huge amount of new GS's to the born agains and clueless who will be blinded by the badge. It's a great bike, and Yamaha will sell them by the truck load.

That, they will.:thumb

As mentioned in another thread, my mate is about to buy one, so I've spent some time having a good look round one, and will probably be riding one tomorrow. Comparing it to my GSA, I don't agree about the quality; the GSA is a step up. And before you say I'm blinded by the badge, I'm not. I'd love to get something other than a BMW, but so far, nothing has tempted me. I'll be having a demo on the new KTM Super Adventure when it's launched, so we'll see how that is.

I'm not being derogatory, or condescending by saying it's a budget bike, and the fact that it is, is no bad thing. Look at the price of a Multistrada, or the upcoming S1000XR, and although they are 40/50bhp up on the Tracer, in the real world there's a huge market for this new Yam.:beerjug:

Rave reviews, useful horsepower, cheap.................

Spend a little bit on Suspension- I think you'll have a bike for many years.

Al

Rave reviews, useful horsepower, cheap.................

Spend a little bit on Suspension- I think you'll have a bike for many years.

Al

i reckon, a decent shock and that bike is a potential giant killer. less than a grand, job done :)

Red one outside local dealer looks pretty... screen looks wierd...all looks a bit spindly and impractical in a world of wet roads.

Still.... closest I've come to taking a test ride so far...

:rob

Red one outside local dealer looks pretty... screen looks wierd...all looks a bit spindly and impractical in a world of wet roads.

Still.... closest I've come to taking a test ride so far...

:rob

The screen design is an area where they have cut cost. It adjusts but it is a fiddly process. I moved it from one extreme to the other at the midway point. Initially with the screen tilted towards the rider there was air hitting my chest. At the other extreme the air was hitting my face. There wasn't any buffeting but it was noisy and like the last 2 bikes, I would always use ear plugs with a Tracer.

It started raining just after I flipped the screen and I ended up with wet air hitting me in the face. I think in rain it would be better to have the air defected to hit your chest. Conversely, when riding in hot conditions you could adjust the screen to give you fresh air into your face as a cooling effort.

To me, the weirdest looking parts are the barkbuster type deflectors. They are quite expansive with spoilers. I don't think my Tucano Muffs will fit around them but they look like they will come apart quite easily.

Back
Top Bottom