Adding net pockets to GSA pannier lids ....

Bobbin-Man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'd decided cargo-net pockets in the lids of my GSA panniers are a definite must-have, the panniers are a good size and a few items are better stored in the lid than getting lost lower down. Initially I'd looked at the Touratech pannier nets but at over £63 for the pair it's silly money. Also the Touratech nets appear to stand slightly proud of the lid face which can't be ideal for document or map storage.

So I've looked at alternatives and come up with a pretty cost effective solution ... around £21 for a pair of nets plus a fiver for the hardwear :thumb2

The bits I've used for each pannier ... (all the fittings are stainless steel):

- Givi E144 Elastic Cargo Net - £10.28 on eBay from Ghostbikes.
- 4 of M5 x 18mm TX button head screws - the Torx heads are used for the other fitting on the GSA panniers and I prefer to keep things consistent.
- 4 of 25mm penny washers.
- 4 of M5 Nylok nuts.
- 20 of standard size washers (1mm thick, 5 per corner to give 5mm clearance).
- A little sealant under the head of each Torx bolt to ensure a watertight seal, although I'm not convinced it's necessary.

Here are a few photos, I hope they're useful for anyone else wanting to do something similar. I started by simply drilling out the corner rivets using a 5.5mm drill, once the initial "rolled" part of the rivet is removed the rest can be knocked out. The holes in the ally and plastic corners are 5mm. I did actually buy loads of bolts etc because my SS fasteners supplier packages them as units of 100, if anyone wants any pm me your details and I'll send a set to do 2 panniers, I guess a fiver would cover the fasteners and postage costs.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,852
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 2,121
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,865
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,924
And some more ...

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,888
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,752
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,756
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,002
Good for you :clap

lots of other ways of getting creative with cheap but perfect storage.......
A4, A5 or even A6 plastic folders or thicker ziplock document storage envelopes, stuck onto the inside faces of a pannier with decent 3m velcro or snaplock stuff...will hold and protect money, documents, tea bags or whatever.

Multi compartment toiletry bags for a tenner each on Ebay, perfect for little odds n sods, connectors, wiring crimps, sockets, tape, fuses, cable ties etc etc.

So many muppets just go out and buy expensive crap must because it has a brand name on it, and it rarely seems to do the job as well as 'pennytech' mods and additions that are made for a specific purpose for hardly any money :thumb2

Yeah but my times too precious to mess about removing the hooks :cool:

Good for you :clap

lots of other ways of getting creative with cheap but perfect storage.......
A4, A5 or even A6 plastic folders or thicker ziplock document storage envelopes, stuck onto the inside faces of a pannier with decent 3m velcro or snaplock stuff...will hold and protect money, documents, tea bags or whatever.

Multi compartment toiletry bags for a tenner each on Ebay, perfect for little odds n sods, connectors, wiring crimps, sockets, tape, fuses, cable ties etc etc.

So many muppets just go out and buy expensive crap must because it has a brand name on it, and it rarely seems to do the job as well as 'pennytech' mods and additions that are made for a specific purpose for hardly any money :thumb2

+1 for the cheap idea. I use a plastic ziplock bag for docs, held on by 2 pieces of velcro stuck to the inside of the top box lid.

PS, its not often (ever) i agree with Fanum but i do on this one.

..... and your dayglo vest? Your 1st aid kit? Your Worthers Originals? :eek:

:D

Took literally two minutes! How much do charge your time at? :eek:
Good point! :clap

I do have a couple of cargo nets similar to the ones you've linked to, great for securing extra crap to the bike when needed ... I even collected a couple of car wheels on my way back from Europe in the summer and the nets work great.
The Givi ones are designed for the job though, sized suitably and the correct gauge of elastic for what they're intended for. I only plan to do the job once so I tend to do it properly :D

A couple of scrap pallets fit neatly across the back of the GSA. Perfect for warming the house at zero financial cost, but cargo nets are probably bit light weight for holding them down. ;)

For use inside a luggage case lid I have a documents wallet received from a work conference. Its about 40mm deep and big enough for A4 unfolded. Only one snag, I haven't really found a need for it.

Nice work there Stu.....next round of photo's to feature your 'net essentials'......;)

Who let the joker in the house :eek: :D

I'm posting out some nuts and bolts etc tomorrow, if anyone else wants any let me know quick and save me another run to the post office! :blast

Thanks for the write up, still a great solution and it came up in the search function

Back
Top Bottom