02 1150GS - China and Mongolia. Off-road/dirt roads?

mrsroynie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm trying not to be boring about this ride, but we're a couple of months away now and there's still so much to do. Due to complete failure to get any sort of quote for entering China with an independent Chinese agent, we've now joined Globebusters' Ace to Ace tour from Kyrgyzstan to Beijing. It's an expensive option for us, but we will have the security of traveling with a well-organised group and the opportunity to see some pretty remote places - including the Everest Base Camp! I may be the only woman rider with the group so, more than ever, I want to be sure that my bike's up to the job and I'm not going to end up being the weakest link by simple lack of preparation!

My question is, will the standard suspension on an 02 R1150GS (not GSA) be up to thousands of miles of crap (or no) road surface? Changing the rear shock seems likely to cost over £1,000 and I'd really rather not, if I don't absolutely have to. Is there anything else I could consider?

If its the original shock, I think I would change it before I left.
£1000 is steep. Is that the price for an Ohlins changed at a main dealer ?
Its not a huge job. Main issue is splitting the bottom joint.
If money is the issue you might pick up a good low mileage OEM one from somebody who's changed theirs out.
Hopefully, someone more local to you could recommend where you could get it done much cheaper than that.

Very jealous about your trip. Good luck.

Ah. Forgot to mention that the bike is extremely low mileage for its age. I bought it in 2010 with less than 10k on the clock and, due to circumstances and a faulty alarm system, it has had very little use since. I'm having a full health check done on the bike next week, so may be I should just ask them to have a look at the condition of the original rear shock as well.

And, yes, the price of a new shock is a bit of a guess as I've seen them advertised at about £900 for the new part and, not being particularly mechanically-minded, I'd have to pay someone else to fit it.

Costs for Wilbers are around £600 fitted per end. Rear shock removal is easy enough for any bike mechanic and front needs no special tools.
Replacing both shocks should be a small percentage of total expedition costs and Revs Racing will spec shocks to suit the expected usage.
To my mind it's a no brainer & has to be a bargain compared to failed suspension on an extended tour.

Back
Top Bottom