Pillion seat base plate for R1200GS LC

Binky

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know where I could get my mitts on a knackered pillion seat or just the base plate of same
for not extortionate amount of money...I am trying to make up a key on/off lockable small valuables box to replace the pillion
when needed.

I am aiming at trying to recreate something like this but cheaper:

http://www.advdesigns.com/rurelopiboxf.html

I've got a spare vario base plate that fits into the rear seat fixings if that's what you mean?

Touratech do a very nice plate that fits the pillion mounts, so easy to clip on off. BUT it costs around £200 in black or silver. Inhave one to make mounting with my short legs much, much easier! I would have said 'getting my leg over' but....

I think this might be what you are looking for

I got this to try to fit a Ventura Pack system instead of pillion seat, but never fitted it to bike. PM me if interested.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,452
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,418
Lot's of options out there:

Misc28.jpg

Misc21.jpg

Jim :cool:

Send Mark Hooton a PM, as he may be able to make up a cheap plate for you.:thumb

Binky - I have a Mark Hooton plate to fit the LC which I don't use anymore. It's in perfect condition and looks like this:
http://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/r1200gs-lc-rear-pillion-seat-plate-rack-115-p.asp

You're welcome to buy it at a reasonable cost, just send me your details on pm if you're interested and I'll ping over photos or arrange to meet up so you can see it for yourself (I'm in Maidenhead).

Hi Toddmeister

Sorry to be a pain but does this plate lock on and lock off with the key or is it 'bolted down' with fasteners? Coz if it does come off by just turning the key....that sounds perfect,

Hi N111b....can you tell me if this locks on and off with the key or is it static and held on by fasteners?

Hi Toddmeister

Sorry to be a pain but does this plate lock on and lock off with the key or is it 'bolted down' with fasteners? Coz if it does come off by just turning the key....that sounds perfect,

Hi Binky - it's bolted down with fasteners, which I never found to be a problem as I didn't really use the under seat storage. If you need something that comes off at the twist of a key then this probably isn't the one for you!
Hope that helps!

The pillion seat part secures with key just like seat, the back bit (where top boxes usually go) bolts on

Hi Binky - it's bolted down with fasteners, which I never found to be a problem as I didn't really use the under seat storage. If you need something that comes off at the twist of a key then this probably isn't the one for you!
Hope that helps!

Thanks Toddmesister...!

The final solution!

OK...so here it is. Sensible and sarky comments welcomed!

1 x SW Motech base plate £104
1 x GSA type under pannier box £115

Unbolted GSA type fixings from box and filled the holes with 6mm snap rivets courtesy of www.nyfast.com.
Bolted box to SW Motech plate using original holes on base plate as template for box holes.

This now fits air pump, tyreweld, mini torx kit and loads of other bits and locks. Keys on and off to replace with pillion seat.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Sorry dont know how...old and ludditey...it asks me for URL and havent a clue what to put in!

Sorry, to open up this old thread, but which type GSA under pannier box was used? I am looking for the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom