Inflatable matresses

Phil Reynolds

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Are there any blow up mattresses on the market that don't gradually deflate overnight? The ones I've tried in the past you always end up with your backside on the ground. :eek:

I just buy the 10 poundish ones and generally they are very good, sometimes have punctured on bits and pieces under the tent but some have lasted 2 or 3 years of regular use, I do use an extra groundswell under the tent and the beds do seem to last longer, the one I've got now is a campingaz one and I've had it for about 2 years, it doesn't go down,it does have a screw on cap and not a push on one which I do feel are better at sealing.

Costco (uk) usually have some decent kit . I've used their mats ( maybe "coleman" brand unsure). You can be confident they'll last for years and years.
If you know anyone who travels to the USA REI stuff is affordable and trusted.

Coleman ones have a special valve that prevents them deflating. Very good, we have a double that is two separate chambers, stops my missus being catapulted through the tent when I lay down.

My alternative use for a double blow up mattress. Works a treat :D

Attachments

• 11259741_847064955341479_9122987908245593092_n.jpg
    11259741_847064955341479_9122987908245593092_n.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,420
If a good nights sleep is important to you than there is only one worth getting and that in the Exped Down 9DLX!

They're pricey but vey comfy, great insulator, lightweight, packs small, hard wearing, long lasting, easy to inflate/deflate and stays inflated.

:thumb

If a good nights sleep is important to you than there is only one worth getting and that in the Exped Down 9DLX!

They're pricey but vey comfy, great insulator, lightweight, packs small, hard wearing, long lasting, easy to inflate/deflate and stays inflated.

:thumb

I concur fully, look no further��

Agree about the exped, I've just bought and used an exped 9LW. Most comfy nights sleep in a tent so far.

I didn't go for the UL (ultralight) because it's apparently not as robust and the pack size, weight difference is minimal. And my last cheapo blow up mat punctured so I didn't want to chance it.

if you go for one, buy an exped schnozzle thingy.
Its a very light weight roll top bag with a snout, you waft air into it, close the top and compress the bag so air flows through the snout into the bed in 3 or 4 goes . Much better than 2/300 compressions.

Thermarest Neoair

I've got the Thermarest Neoair.

Packs very small. Fully inflated and hard makes it about 2" thick so very good ground clearance. Deflate to your comfort and you're still well clear of the ground.
Hasn't let me down:aidan

Not cheap but you get what you pay for

regards

Clive:thumb

Bought my Thermarest in 1980, its still going strong and it gets used a lot.

Exped Megamat 10

Doesn't pack down small, 80cmx20cm, and can take a bit of time to inflate-deflate, plus it's not cheap. BUT,if a good night is important, there's no better.

Bought my Thermarest in 1980, its still going strong and it gets used a lot.

I was trying to remember when I bought my Thermarest and narrowed it down to 99/2000ish so 16 years is doing ok so far. I inflated it and left it for the weekend and it held ok.

Hi, I just received a new inflatable mat from www.alpkit.com It is very light indeed as it has no foam inside it. Only a cunningly designed outer. I find it comfortable but I doubt it would be for someone heavier than average as they'd likely bottom out on the ground. I am delighted with it as it solves my problem of reducing my load. This mat reduces to a large pocket size to carry. For comfort with tiny size and weight I know no competition. Ciao, Guzzi.

I've got the Thermarest Neoair.

Packs very small. Fully inflated and hard makes it about 2" thick so very good ground clearance. Deflate to your comfort and you're still well clear of the ground.
Hasn't let me down:aidan

Not cheap but you get what you pay for

regards

Clive:thumb

Yes, a much better long term investment than the Exped, which while just as comfy, WILL let you down after a few years :rolleyes:

Yes, a much better long term investment than the Exped, which while just as comfy, WILL let you down after a few years :rolleyes:

Is there no chance they have noted failures & modified the fabric to avoid future issues?

Datsuns were shit once ... but got their act together eventually!

Merchant of doom :rob when mine fails and I end up cold and uncomfortable I shall hunt you down :D

Back
Top Bottom