Austrian Motor rail

Roberto

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone used the Austrian Motor rail service? Thinking of taking the Dusseldorf - Vienna overnighter this summer.

The website isn't brilliant- looks like you need to book the bike on one part of the site, and then go back and book the passengers/accommodation separately. Anyone used an agent or similar that makes it simpler, more bothered about making a ricket..

Ta
R :thumb

I agree...website not brilliant. As you say looks as though you do the bodies and the bike separately...probably not an issue.

Price seems to be favourable compared with the one from Holland.

Won't use it this year, but maybe next....let us know how you get on!

Take a gander at this site for tips..

http://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm#.VSOmJlX3-iw

Many thanks, very helpful ta :thumb

Hi

I have recently booked the Train from Vienna - Dusseldorf.

hopefully it works well. we usually have 10 days away and we're hoping with the night train that we can spend more time exploring.

I agree the website isnt the clearest.

here is my experience/thoughts, hopefully it helps......

as mentioned above If you haven't read the Seat61 website it is a good bank of information with pics of the Train carriages etc, i had read that telephone bookings could be made through the uk office run by the German Rail Deutsche Bahn as agents of OBB austrian rail.

at Christmas i was struggling to book on the Website of OBB, it kept saying N/A, so i phoned Deutsche Bahn UK Booking Centre for information, the operative was very helpful but i had to tell the operative that they were the agents for OBB, he searched deeper and then i was told i could book the Motorcycle carriage but the Sleeper Carriage i could only book 3 mths in advance of my trip. this infomation explained why i was struggling on line.

last week (3 mths before ETA) i phoned again, this time i was told from the Operative that Deutsche Bahn do booking on behalf of OBB but couldn't book the sleeper train and i had contact OBB direct. I emailed OBB Customer Service, waited a couple of days with no reply. so decided to book via Internet,

after reading Seat61 i was aware that you had to book the Sleeper Carriage and the Motorcycle Carriage as two separate bookings. there is 5 of us on our trip. i booked a 3 birth deluxe first, then thought i'd try to book a bike on, you have to book the bikes individually, i booked 5 bikes on, everything going well. then tried to book the last cabin, only to find my card's anti fraud system has been activated due to so many strange purchase's. following day after reactivating debit card booked final cabin and all looks good!

Few days later OBB emailed a reply to my original email.

Dear Mr. Townson,

thank you for contacting Austrian Railways on Thursday for your trip Vienna à Düsseldorf. Please excuse the late reply.

You can book everything in our Ticketshop: https://ticketing.oebb.at/inet/pub/en/ticket but I advise that you book via our customer service, as you’d need to book every bike on its own plus the tickets for passengers.

Tickets:
· The regular full fare for 3-bed sleeper cars is EUR 154,00 pax, for double compartments its EUR 174,00. Both options are deluxe.
· We offer limited pre-order discount tickets SparSchiene with the lowest fare for sleeper cars being EUR 99,00.
· Will you be travelling with EURail or InterRail? In this case the fare is different, but depends on the pass type you use.
· The freight per bike is EUR 45,00.

Ticket collection:
As your trip starts in Vienna, you can simply print your tickets in Austria or we can send them to you if you like.

Please note: Sleeper cars are divided by gender. For sleeper cars please state the gender of each traveller. Unless you book an entire compartment, female and male are split.

Services included for for sleeper cars:
evening: mineral water, sweets, aperitif and daily newspaper
morning: wake-up service, large breakfast mixed to your liking, free refill of beverages

BOOKING FORM

Please check your time table here: http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en

Our customer service can book for you either via telephone: +43 5 17 17 / 0043 5 17 17 (then press 3 during the audio tape) or via e-mail: kundenservice@oebb.at. If you wish to book via e-mail please fill out this form:

Customers‘ details
Full name
full address + telephone number

Travellers
age 0-6
age 6-15
age 15+/adults

reductions
ÖBB VORTEILSCARD, DB BahnCard, SBB HT/GA
EURail or InterRail Pass
à EURail Select Pass/OneCountry pass holders: please specifiy the countries covered

Booking
date, route, departure time or train number(s)
comfort class
night train, sleeper car: please specify the gender of each traveller
SparSchiene if available y/n
*limited pre-order discount ticket. please note the conditions: tickets only valid on the chosen connections, partial refund for day trains. no refund for night trains.
*we will always book the lowest fare available

Car or motorbike transport
driver
car or motorbike type
licence pate
trailer y/n
trailer: fabric/cloth roof or solid?
roof width
addons like bike rack (please specify where), roof railing etc
please be specific as only then we can guarantee to book the correct parkint position!

Payment
credit card type, number and expiration date

postal service – EUR 5,00 postal fee (optional)
* shipment to AUT and adjoining countries: ~7-10 working days
* shipment to continental Europe and the British Isles: usually 10-14 working days
* intercontinental shipment: please schedule at least 4 weeks.

Please note that payment is possible via credit card (VISA, American Express, Diners Club, MasterCard etc.) only.
Before your credit card is charged, you will receive a confirmation email to give your definitive OK.

After payment you will receive a customer number and your tickets/reservations will be available for pick up at every ÖBB-counter or ÖBB vending machine in Austria, for example at Wien Hbf/Hauptbahnhof, your departing station.

I wish you a pleasant day! Please contact us again if you have further questions, we are happy to help.

With kind regards

Andrea Müller
ÖBB-Kundenservice
ÖBB Customer Service

ÖBB-Personenverkehr AG
1020 Wien, Postfach 222
Tel. +43 (0)5-1717
http://www.oebb.at

After reading the email it may have worked out cheaper to book with the customer service team and it would have hopefully been hassle free. after reading a few trip reports about the train if your travelling in a group and trying to get a cost effective trip with a little luxury you don't mind sharing, i originally wanted to book a standard room next to a deluxe and it has a interconnecting door, that way we get a little bit more space and you can all use the deluxe rooms toilet and shower along with saving a euro or two. you have to speak to customer services to book this option.

in a nut shell if i had to book again i will contact OBB customer services

Thanks for taking the time there.. very helpful :thumb

Booked on what I think is the first train of the season this Thursday. Heard some second hand reports that bike stowage is not the best and you shouldn't let the railway staff near your bike, tie it down yourself. Train facilities seem a bit basic but hey, we're on a biking holiday not a honeymoon in the Seychelles.

I used this service a few years ago for a group with 4 bikes and was very pleased, we travelled from Dusseldorf to Saltzburg, Austria so we could do the Gross Glockner on the way to Italy - the sleeping compartments were slightly better than the French version (easy to beat) and the loading/unloading process was quite efficient.
Would definitely use again - Hope all goes well for your trip

Booked on what I think is the first train of the season this Thursday. Heard some second hand reports that bike stowage is not the best and you shouldn't let the railway staff near your bike, tie it down yourself. Train facilities seem a bit basic but hey, we're on a biking holiday not a honeymoon in the Seychelles.
Ruggish!
You sit on the bike whilst they secure it so as to compress the suspension. I have usef the DBB autoxug several times and the bike handling is great.

:blastBTW. You MUST wear a helmet when you ride your bike on and you'll need to crouch very low. DO NOT have your flip front helmet flipped open when you do this unless you want a bad neck for the whole trip. Don't ask me how I know this :blast :p

Sadly the Salzburg and Villach runs are no more. Vienna is a lovely city (if you like that sort of thing!) It's also a useful stopping off point if you are going further south or east but if you are aiming for the Alps it's not so good. From Calais to the Fusch-northern toll booth on the Grossglockner is around 700 miles. From Calais to Dusseldorf is 250 and from Vienna to Fusch is about 225 by the shortest but not the quickest route. ( nearer 270 by the quickest roads) Therefore the saving is 225 miles are thereabouts. If your aim is further west in the Alps, Stelvio maybe, then the arithmetic is far more in favour of riding there.

Obviously it is up to individuals to make the choice, it's just a shame that the routes to Salzburg and Villach are no longer an option.

John

A group of 5 have just returned from Austria in May travelling from Dusseldorf to Wien in Austria it was very cheap at around £100 return using a six berth couchette, the loading is very simple but you are not allowed to secure your own bikes, the staff are excellent at tying down, in the morning you get coffee and a roll for breakfast and each sleeper car has staff who will get food and Beer if required. I have videoed the loading on my GS. Link below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMAs80pIoQM&app=desktop
Get to 19.50 which shows the loading and setting off I left the camera on and running. It was a fantastic trip total cost £380 each including overnight ferry and Hotel with fanatastic food.

Hi

Can you give me a link where to buy the tickets please. This train seems a great idea.

Many thanks

Derek

Just back from a trip, used the train one way. Loading was excellent, really secure and loaders were careful not to damage anything. Would definitely use the train again. Cabins are a bit cramped but the delux ones with en-suite facilities are nice. Although there isn't a buffet car there is a food and drink trolley but tbh it's not great.

I booked in may for August trip found it a bit hard to get the best deal so went on Skype and called them up booked up three bike and sleeper £220.00 each return

Back
Top Bottom