New Dunlop Trailsmart tyres

NeilCol

Reaction score
About to bite the bullet and have some new boots fitted....was going to decide between the Tourance Next or Anakee 3's, but have seen Dunlop have brought out the Trailsmart.

Anyone got a set of the trailsmarts fitted?

All about the same price, and I'm not going to be doing much if any off road riding I suspect so I want the set that offers the best compromise for dry and occasional wet riding.
It may all be subjective, and I'm not one for pushing the bike to the limit so it might just be that i would be unlikely to notice any difference. :nenau

About to bite the bullet and have some new boots fitted....was going to decide between the Tourance Next or Anakee 3's, but have seen Dunlop have brought out the Trailsmart.

Anyone got a set of the trailsmarts fitted?

All about the same price, and I'm not going to be doing much if any off road riding I suspect so I want the set that offers the best compromise for dry and occasional wet riding.
It may all be subjective, and I'm not one for pushing the bike to the limit so it might just be that i would be unlikely to notice any difference. :nenau
Personally, if no off-road riding likely, I'd recommend the RoadSmart 2. I've had very good mileage out of the last pairs, on both a 1200RT & a 1200GSA, so putting another set on my GSA any day now. But yes, the TR91 is a good tyre.

I've got dunlop roadsmart 2's on my 1150gs, I love them, realm smooth / cushion like grip to the road. Much better than the conti attacks I had on before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive just ordered some Continental TKC-70s. The have the Road/Trail Attack radial case, compound and rounded profile with a M&S tread. They are not as knobbly as the TKC-80, or even the Heidenau Scouts, but certainly more aggressive than the Trail Attack or Metzeler Tourance.

trailsmarts are an upgraded tr91apparently same grip but better miles.

tr91's were excellent

trailsmarts are an upgraded tr91apparently same grip but better miles.

tr91's were excellent

Oh I hope this is right as I'm on my 2nd set of TR91's and they have been awesome
had a set of battlewings on originally when new and they were not so good in the wet in slow turns, hard to describe but just didn't feel right to me, dry they where good, wet not for me
when the rear was shot I swapped both front and rear for a set of Conti Trail attacks and got a low speed front end wobble just as you came to a slow stop from say 5mph to zero, very strange, never again!
TR91's after the Conti's and have had no issues wet or dry and stick like shit to a blanket in all conditions and no wobbles. brilliant

my local supplier
http://www.tst-tyres.co.uk/
tell me I'm the only person they have ever sold a set of TR91's to
I suppose if you never go off road there is better sticky rubber out there but they seem to wear out quicker I think
if these new Trailsmarts wear better that will do me for my next set.

every rear tyres Ive had has lasted around 6 to 7 thousand miles not really much in it wear wise for me
and the assumption that the front lasts twice as long as the rear doesn't seem to work for me as the front TR91 I replaced around 9000 a bit more but not twice the rear

:beerjug:

Andy

Interesting thread ,as I'm on the look out for a different back tyre as the anakee3
I've got on now is getting very square after just 4k miles,
Think I'm gonna have to go for a proper dual compound of some type...:thumb2

Oh I hope this is right as I'm on my 2nd set of TR91's and they have been awesome
had a set of battlewings on originally when new and they were not so good in the wet in slow turns, hard to describe but just didn't feel right to me, dry they where good, wet not for me
when the rear was shot I swapped both front and rear for a set of Conti Trail attacks and got a low speed front end wobble just as you came to a slow stop from say 5mph to zero, very strange, never again!
TR91's after the Conti's and have had no issues wet or dry and stick like shit to a blanket in all conditions and no wobbles. brilliant

my local supplier
http://www.tst-tyres.co.uk/
tell me I'm the only person they have ever sold a set of TR91's to
I suppose if you never go off road there is better sticky rubber out there but they seem to wear out quicker I think
if these new Trailsmarts wear better that will do me for my next set.

every rear tyres Ive had has lasted around 6 to 7 thousand miles not really much in it wear wise for me
and the assumption that the front lasts twice as long as the rear doesn't seem to work for me as the front TR91 I replaced around 9000 a bit more but not twice the rear

:beerjug:

Andy

I've had two sets of TR91's from TST in the past few years.
They are excellent tyres and will probably replace the Bridgestones on my Yamaha S10.

I've just bought a pair of Continental TKC 70s. They have a variable cure compound that's harder down the middle and gradually faded to soft on the shoulders.

I've just bought a pair of Continental TKC 70s. They have a variable cure compound that's harder down the middle and gradually faded to soft on the shoulders.

Let me know how those Conti's go.
I had more or less settled on the Tourance, and have gone off the Anakees a bit but hearing the glowing reports on the Dunlops have swayed me that way now.

Can't get them done til after pay day so another couple of weeks to make a decision anyway, but I may be looking into it too much considering I'm not one for pushing the bike to its limits.
Saying that my Plain old Tourance the bike came with are pretty squared off and down to about 2 mm in the middle so I'm hoping I will at least feel some benefit to new rubber regardless which ones I stick on.

I'm running Michelin Pilot Road 4's Trail Compound and they're ace on the GSA..

I read a review on-line on the new Dunlops and they came out very well other than a comment about them being a bit slow turning in. Anybody care to comment on that?

Andres

I will second these, just covered 3.5K miles and still looks like new. No offroading for me simply commute and a wee bit of blasting on the twisties very good tyres.

Ha - I'm going to prove my wife wrong thanks chaps and show that on the very odd occasion it's OK to agree with me!!

Sensible people..

Well, new Trailsmarts fitted today.
Already tell a huge difference on the turn in compared to the old square Tourance that have been taken off.....almost twitchy in comparison for the first few turns until. Got used to it.

Bit more bedding in required before I can push them to my limit....which admittedly isn't particulalry far.

Any new tyre will be a revelation, but since Dunlop do so well with Road and Sport - I'm expecting great things

Just about to replace a very squared off PR3 rear. It still grips and feels like a new tyre, amazing when I look at the profile. Fitting another PR3 as the front is still ok. Don't quite understand this as the Tourances used to wear about the same front and rear??

Back
Top Bottom